DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pros or Cons using an iPad

medic2medic

Reactions
I have been using my cell phone and thinking about moving to an iPad Mini to increase my view. Is it an easy change? How about connection issues? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have a Mavic Pro.

When I picked up my Mavic Air I grabbed an iPad mini 4 and a tablet holder. I'm normally an Android guy but I wanted something bright enough to see and the Apple products seem to work a little smoother than some of Android stuff. I haven't had any App problems with Go 4 and I'm pretty satisfied.
I'm definitely looking forward to getting a Smart Controller down the line but I still need to get a M2P first...

I have been using my cell phone and thinking about moving to an iPad Mini to increase my view. Is it an easy change? How about connection issues? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have a Mavic Pro.

Pros: larger screen better view. Doesn’t drain phone battery. iOS usually works better than android with DJI Go 4. USUALLY!

Cons: bigger heavier more unwieldy remote. The control sticks are harder to reach if you put in the tablet holder that is part of the remote.

If you don’t get the cellular version and get cellular data for it you have to set up your phone as a mobile hotspot and connect iPad to that to get maps. iOS doesn’t cache maps after you restart the app.

Another thing you have to charge

Con...No second screen option without extra stuff.

Pro... maps, navigation, Litchi, etc. on board.

Reactions: M2D2
I've used an iPad Mini 4 for a long time, it works great. You don't need a tablet holder, it fits in the RC.

Reactions: NAVMAV
I did the same, move from an Android phone to a dedicated iPad mini for my Mavic Pro, no connection issues, easy change, no mount necessary, the iPad fits landscape mode in the controller arms, the corners of the iPad are in the "slot" on the wings of the controller. I also felt that there appeared to be less GO4 issues on Apple devices, did not regret the upgrade at all.

Reactions: Dur8an Poison
Pros: larger screen better view. Doesn’t drain phone battery. iOS usually works better than android with DJI Go 4. USUALLY!

Cons: bigger heavier more unwieldy remote. The control sticks are harder to reach if you put in the tablet holder that is part of the remote.

If you don’t get the cellular version and get cellular data for it you have to set up your phone as a mobile hotspot and connect iPad to that to get maps. iOS doesn’t cache maps after you restart the app.

Another thing you have to charge

No need for data for the cellular ones. GPS works without any service.
I don't regret going through 4 android devices and finally settling on an ipad pro. Slightly bulky but on the mount it is perfect to counter balance the remote with an aftermarket antenna and amp.

Jeff

No need for data for the cellular ones. GPS works without any service.
I don't regret going through 4 android devices and finally settling on an ipad pro. Slightly bulky but on the mount it is perfect to counter balance the remote with an aftermarket antenna and amp.

Jeff

You need “+cellular” iPad to get GPS though the cell service doesn’t need to be activated. You’ll also still need cell service to download the map one way or the other unless you want to manually download the map in wi-fi before each day of flying and hope the app doesn’t crash. iOS can’t cache maps beyond quitting the app.

Reactions: DavidNDC
The ipad mini 5 will be available for sale this year - 2019. Much better processor than the mini 4, and 11% increase to brightness though still not good for bright day light.

I use an ipad mini 4 dedicated to the DJI Go 4 app, and it works great. It's cellular capable, but without a plan, it's Wi-fi only.

If you wait until the mini 5 is released, you don't have to buy the 5, but should realize a price drop in the 4, at least in the secondary market.

Reactions: Dur8an Poison
You need “+cellular” iPad to get GPS though the cell service doesn’t need to be activated. You’ll also still need cell service to download the map one way or the other unless you want to manually download the map in wi-fi before each day of flying and hope the app doesn’t crash. iOS can’t cache maps beyond quitting the app.

That's an interesting concept. I have never downloaded a map or had wifi connected when flying but I always have a detailed map on screen. My ipad must be special then. This is first hand knowledge not what I read somewhere to be true.

Jeff

I don't know about the latest iPads, but my iPad 2 is wifi only (no cellular access) and the GPS functions properly. However, I would have had to upgrade to a more current version in order to get rid of the bugs, mostly a laggy screen. Plus, it's terrible in bright sunlight and I find the Pro version is not much better. I ended up with the 7.85 CrystalSky Ultra. Beautiful screen visually in direct sunlight but really poor touch response. DJI software engineers, IMO, are more oriented towards IOS rather than Android systems---which the CS is.

That's an interesting concept. I have never downloaded a map or had wifi connected when flying but I always have a detailed map on screen. My ipad must be special then. This is first hand knowledge not what I read somewhere to be true.

Jeff
I got lucky and got one of those special iPads too...no cell service, map is always there!

I don't know about the latest iPads, but my iPad 2 is wifi only (no cellular access) and the GPS functions properly. However, I would have had to upgrade to a more current version in order to get rid of the bugs, mostly a laggy screen. Plus, it's terrible in bright sunlight and I find the Pro version is not much better. I ended up with the 7.85 CrystalSky Ultra. Beautiful screen visually in direct sunlight but really poor touch response. DJI software engineers, IMO, are more oriented towards IOS rather than Android systems---which the CS is.

I got the zagg invisashield on my pro and the antiglare is top notch. Direct sun has never been an issue with the screen at max brightness.

Jeff

I am Using a full size ipad, zero problems,
mostly using a long usb cord and the iPad is resting on the top of my car's trunk neatly propped up, or on a small camping table if I choose to sit through 3 batteries.
Also have a tablet holder for the remote but rarely use it!
For the best experience taking pictures and videos, or flying like a bird is with the wireless DJI goggles + head tracking on, and still have the ipad going as a backup, + others can see what I see.

Reactions: Jeffm912

The “WiFi- only” iPad does not contain a GPS receiver, however, the homepoint is set by the drones GPS unit and is passed to the app. So while if you don’t move from the homepoint while flying you’ll be fine as the homepoint and the remote location can be used interchangeably. But if you move from the home point while flying you won’t be able to update the homepoint to your new location.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure