DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pros or Cons using an iPad

Hmm.
I have been using an iPad mini 4 since day one 9 months ago when I purchased my Pro.
I purchased it as a dedicated device for my controller and its never been an issue at all.
I have the 128gig non-cellular one. Other than not having the on-board maps, it's been problem free. I will also use it (frequently) in conjunction with the DJI goggles, as well.

Recently, however, I've decided to go lighter and not carry the entire backpack holding the goggles and a camp chair and the iPad and extra props and the charger and lunch.

I have now been using my Note 9 with Zero issues and my Mavic is now the portable flying camera it was designed to be. Hmph.
I HIGHLY CAUTION you to put your phone in airplane mode when you fly. I'm sure a message or a phone call will cause absolute chaos while trying to fly. But I'm loving the MUCH brighter screen in the blazing Georgia sun and I also am caching higher quality vids on my phone which is 10x easier to edit on the fly and post onto social media or whatever..

In NO way am I saying the iPad is not solid. It is. Probably more so.. If you're sloppy and careless..
But with careful preparation and attention to detail, your flagship Android device is MORE THAN CAPABLE of delivering a 1st class superior experience. I believe.

I have been thinking seriously about upgrading to an iPad or something similar, looks these poor old eyes are struggling to see the screen on my Samsung S6 clearly. My biggest concern was always how it would go in daylight.
Great concern.
Not well, in my opinion.

I respect everyone decision using whatever device they selected as a display unit for their flight.
I think it comes down to two things really. 1)convenience of carrying it with you (bulk), and 2) eyesights; for me it was the eyes.
Pushing 50 years of age, my galaxy note 5 handled the go4 app just fine, but my eyes and fingers manipulating the screen told me I need something larger. went for the 9.6"ipad.
Tried the mavmount - (short and tall version) attaching the tablet to the remote, it was ok, but rarely use it that way now.
My "happy set-up" is this: leave the tablet velcroed - inside of the top lid of the apache hard case- which opens up to a perfect 100 degree angle, hardcase is placed on the trunk lid of my car faced away from the sun, me standing next to it with a 6 foot USB cable attached to the remote.
Or sitting on a camping chair if I fly with multiple batteries, then the hardcase is inside the trunk of my car, in the shade.
Onlookers don't know why am I staring into my car's trunk for 30 minutes.

I agree with most of the above. I graduated from a [small screen] iPhone 6, to a way-too-large and heavy large-screen iPad, and then to a smaller screen iPad mini 4. I sold the iPhone and iPad and have used the iPad mini 4 ever since. My only "issue" is the sharpness of the drone camera's image on the iPad mini's screen --- When the video or photo is transferred from the SD card to my computer, though, it's as sharp as a tack, so no problem. Also, no cell phone account needed.

The iPad Mini 4 has the zagg invisashield available from the company, eBay, Walmart, etc. Price varies from $13 to $50 so watch out.

Nelson

As he pointed out on price differences. There are 3 different zagg protectors. Do not buy the cheap film one get the HD tempered glass one with antiglare. They are solid but do cost between $45 and $50. Take care.

Jeff

Reactions: medic2medic
@Pontoon-pilot , or anyone interested.
I ordered a 15’ lightning cord to use on a Tri -pod setup. Just letting you know that they do make a 15 and 16’ cord so you can have more room if needed without tangling up [emoji6].
Just be careful that you order a charge/data cord, not just a charge.

Reactions: Pontoon-pilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead