DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Prospective pilot, new member from NC, USA

Kyle76

Reactions
I’m looking hard at the Mavic Mini as an initial drone purchase. I’ve watched loads of videos, and although tempted by the Air 2, the Mini just seems like the perfect starter. I generally join a forum for my hobbies and interests, and I’m looking forward to knowledge and advice from the group. Thanks for allowing me aboard.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . ?

welcome to the forum,go with what you are happy with, the MM is a very capable little drone ,and is a good drone to give you an introduction into the hobby
it does not have the wind resistance of the bigger mavs and has limited performance and sensors
the MA2,at at twice the price is obviously a much more capable drone ,but is also more complex in respect of what its camera can do and the auto flight modes it has
plus also remember that you will need a phone or tablet to use as a screen as you fly good luck with your choice

Welcome as well, I chose the Mini so I would not have any hoops (set on fire) to leap through.
Don’t be intimidated by fear of wind, just fly upwind for all operations and high above water, you will have no issues.
You should not have to rely on sensors if you plan your flights.

Welcome to the forums - a lot of good info here. Also, the search function (magnifying glass icon upper right) is a great way to find answers to many of the questions a "newbie" will have. We were all "newbies" at one point.

Welcome back to the forum. You will find all sorts of support and assistance. We look forward to seeing your part of the world.

I don’t have a budget per se, but a reluctance to lay down nearly a grand on something that might become a seldom-used toy once the novelty wears off. I know that camera-wise, there have been significant firmware improvements regarding video controls to the Mini. Are more of these, like 4k, anticipated or even possible through firmware?

EDIT: oh, yeah, I have an iPhone X.

I’m looking hard at the Mavic Mini as an initial drone purchase. I’ve watched loads of videos, and although tempted by the Air 2, the Mini just seems like the perfect starter. I generally join a forum for my hobbies and interests, and I’m looking forward to knowledge and advice from the group. Thanks for allowing me aboard.
welcome to the forum. 249g above and you need license to fly. Just a reminder. Enjoy flying

Welcome to our Forum, from Hauptmann in Texas USA!

You picked a winner in the Mini. Don't be fooled by its small size and low price. It's a high performance quad with a good camera. At 249 grams, the Mini doesn’t buck the wind as well as beefier drones, On windy days, it’s best to fly so you’ll have a tailwind on the way back. Read the manual, and practice using the “Find My Drone” App. Chances are you’ll crash and perhaps lose your Mini. Don't wait until that happens to learn how to recover a lost drone.

I hope DJI updates the Fly App with larger fonts to make it easier to read. Some of our members have trouble with it.

Glad to have you as a member!

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

I am a quad newbie (MA2 arrived Thursday, out twice flying since then), so I was in your shoes decision wise not too long ago. You have to evaluate based on your priorities, for what will work best for you. I had actually decided to get a Mini because I didn’t want the hassle of getting a licence, and I got a toy drone a month earlier and for the fun I was having with that I figured a Mini would more than meet my needs. (I had a Ryze Tello, 80 g, 10 m max altitude, 100 m max distance, still capable of flying outside if the winds were low.) Then someone I was talking to who flies mostly fixed air planes and RC helicopters said he basically just uses his drones for FPV. I checked that out and it definitely is something I’d like to do, and the Mini is not FPV compatible but the MA2 is. I figure probably next summer I’d get the goggles, but this way I will leave that option open without having to buy a new drone altogether. Then based on my discussion with that guy about deciding what to buy based on your intended use I realized I’d also really like to acquire the skills to make great aerial videos, and take great photos. The MA2 seems to have the best camera of all the DJI drones. I decided on DJI because of another comment of his, ‘you can’t go wrong with a DJI’. So that was my thought process, and my final deciding factors. If I’m flying VLOS they can both go the same distance. The lighter weight of the Mini didn’t impact my decision based on my experience with the Ryze Tello.

So - get the best one for you! And happy flying.

Welcome to the forum from the other end of NC.... Western NC up in the Blue Ridge Mountains :)

Welcome to the forum Kyle, this is a great resource.

Welcome to the forum from the beautiful woods of Maine!
The mini is a good drone to start with and it will give you a good idea of what flying a drone is all about and you can either put it in the closet or advance to the MA2.

Reactions: mrjohnc1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78