DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Protected under UK Consumer Rights Act 2015?

Nozzography

Reactions
Afternoon all, looking for a bit of advice if at all possible please incase anyone has had a similar situation.

Please excuse the rather long post!

I am having a very frustrating and difficult time between contacting DJI directly and through the retailer that I purchased my Mavic Air through, RCGeeks.

I purchased the Air on 27/2/18 and activated it on 1/3/18. The drone itself works fine and have no issues up until today where I have attempted to install some Polar Pro filters.

As many of you will know it is required that you unscrew the bezel that is on the camera before you can thread on the filter. The issue that I, and it seems many other people are having, is that the bezel seems to be stuck in place and requires more than reasonable force to unscrew. It seems at this point it’s the luck of the draw as to whether you have a drone where the bezel isn’t too tight from factory.

This isn’t a thread complaining about that, I appreciate many other threads have been posted about this and I have read through the majority of them to find tips to resolve my problem, alas none of the solutions have worked. The bezel will not budge.

I noticed another forum user here said they ended up having to send the drone to DJI for repair/replacement.

Up to this point I have contacted both DJI and RCGeeks about the issue. After an hour and half with one DJI customer service assist who I must say was an absolute waste of time, I ended up contacting another one of their support team who to cut a long story short said they can’t replace the drone as it’s out of the 14 day replacement period and that I should send it for repair, yet refused to say whether any charges would be incurred until a diagnostic had occurred (what diagnostics need doing for a bezel that won’t screw?!).

RCGeeks, whilst their communication has been better seem to be avoiding the real situation here that whilst the drone itself functions correctly, there is still an issue with the bezel meaning I can’t install filters, this is a fault. A minor fault, but a fault nonetheless.

They are avoiding altogether that their website itself states: “All of the items brought from RC Geeks have manufacturer warranties which protect our customers if your item develops a fault. We work closely with our network of manufactuers to carry out the warranty process as efficiently as possible. Please note we will always try to repair faulty items when possible, before replacing.”

Does anyone have any advice where to go with this? DJI don’t seem to want to own up to a manufacturing issue which seems to be widespread, and RCGeeks seem to be avoiding the idea of a replacement. And I’m a consumer with a £949 investment which technically has a fault.

I’m wondering if this is protected under UK law? Consumer Rights Act 2015 states that you are entitled to a repair/replacement/discount if a product is of “unsatisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described”. It’s down to them to prove the fault wasn’t there when the product was purchased.

Any thoughts?

I fully appreciate this is overkill and in the grand scheme of things the drone actually works. I don’t want to go down this route, I’ve wasted half a day being sent back and forth. But I want to be able to use ND filters and it’s frustrating that such a simple issue exists in the first place on a flagship drone by the market leader.

Thanks for your time!

Firstly. You are correct. You are protected by UK consumer rights, this applies to RC Geeks.
Don’t let them try and ‘fob’ you off with the ‘it’s a manufacture fault so It will have to go thro DJI’.
Put simply, you bought & paid for your drone from RC Geeks, so the contract is between you and them.
It’s RC Geeks responsibility to replace or refund you, and they in turn claim from DJI.
I used to own a retail outlet so very familiar with consumer laws.
What peeves me off is when retailers try and say that the item must be returned in original packaging or you must have a receipt or it’s a sale item. Either of these statements is trying to limit your rights under law to a refund/repair/replacement.
Consumer law trumps store policy every single time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
engmarceloacs