DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why doesn't DJI drones have an IP rating?

Brutalwarpig

Reactions
Don't get me wrong, I love my DJI Mini and Mini 3. However I'm terrified of the absolute lack of any water, moisture or dust protection on any DJI consumer drone. I also own a couple FIMI drones. My FIMI X8 Pro has 3 way obstacle avoidance, many automated flight and tracking modes, 15km control range, 4k HDR Sony camera etc. It also has an IP 43 dust/water proof rating. This means i can fly my X8 Pro and my X8 2022 V2 in the rain safely without damaging the drone. My X8 Pro was only $599.
This tells me that manufacturing a drone with an IP43 rating is not an expensive. So why doesn't DJI add this inexpensive protection to their drones?
My first thought is profits. If a DJI drone flies through low fog or gets caught in a pop up rain shower and is damaged, then DJI makes money when the drone owner sends their drone in for repairs or buys a new DJI drone. I'm sure the fear of water damage drives a lot of Care Express purchases too.
This really bothers me. This obvious decesion by DJI to not include basic water proofing to it's consumer drone models. I would have already purchased a DJI Air 3 if not for this issue. Instead I am about to buy an Autel Evo 2 V3 8k.

Don't get me wrong, I love my DJI Mini and Mini 3. However I'm terrified of the absolute lack of any water, moisture or dust protection on any DJI consumer drone. I also own a couple FIMI drones. My FIMI X8 Pro has 3 way obstacle avoidance, many automated flight and tracking modes, 15km control range, 4k HDR Sony camera etc. It also has an IP 43 dust/water proof rating. This means i can fly my X8 Pro and my X8 2022 V2 in the rain safely without damaging the drone. My X8 Pro was only $599.
This tells me that manufacturing a drone with an IP43 rating is not an expensive. So why doesn't DJI add this inexpensive protection to their drones?
My first thought is profits. If a DJI drone flies through low fog or gets caught in a pop up rain shower and is damaged, then DJI makes money when the drone owner sends their drone in for repairs or buys a new DJI drone. I'm sure the fear of water damage drives a lot of Care Express purchases too.
This really bothers me. This obvious decesion by DJI to not include basic water proofing to it's consumer drone models. I would have already purchased a DJI Air 3 if not for this issue. Instead I am about to buy an Autel Evo 2 V3 8k.
Interesting choice. Autel doesn't have an IP rating either. The closest 'serious' camera drone with a genuine IP of 45 (4 for dust & particle resistance: 5 for water resistance) in DJI's stable is the M300.
It's like the cable shielding to cut down on EMI - present with their Enterprise and Pro drones: non-existent on the consumer class.
Why not on the consumer birds? Perhaps because most people treat them like throwaway commodities and they are *relatively* cheap compared to the arm, leg and one kidney you have to spend on the big birds like the I3, M30 and M300, because of which, people think twice about it before throwing them around like a cheap FPV.
People who are spending £20K and above on a tool get more technical attention than people who buy an £800 mini and treat it like a toy.

Reactions: Brutalwarpig
It also has an IP 43 dust/water proof rating. This means i can fly my X8 Pro and my X8 2022 V2 in the rain safely without damaging the drone. My X8 Pro was only $599.

I don't see any materials on FIMI's site to indicate the X8 has any type of dust or water resistance rating? But in any case, based on anecdotes here, I wouldn't be surprised if the latest DJI models could rate at IP43. And officially waterproofing them would put PhantomRain out of business, so...

Reactions: Kilrah
I don't see any materials on FIMI's site to indicate the X8 has any type of dust or water resistance rating? But in any case, based on anecdotes here, I wouldn't be surprised if the latest DJI models could rate at IP43. And officially waterproofing them would put PhantomRain out of business, so...
I had the exact same thoughts. Next logical update would be some kind of IP rating. (Sorry @PhantomRain)

I'm not familiar with FIMI drones. What physical features do they have to provide dust and moisture protection that the Minis don't have?

I'm not recalling any reports on this forum about DJI drones that were damaged by fog or rain. Have I missed them?

Reactions: Torque
This, no IP spec in any doc I can see.

Only thing is the marketing icon

1710262412016.png

But then
1710262455180.png

So at best some poor marketing you wouldn't want to believe for one second.

You're way off base. I understand the number one goal in business is to make money and make a profit but I see no evidence that DJI is purposely doing this at the expense of the customer as if to shake them down for repair dollars. Trust me, there are easier ways to make money than besides hoping the customer flying thru a rain storm and then overloading your repair business with drowning drones; that makes no sense. Bottom line is there is no nefarious intent here but one could say the IP rating process is a scam? Unless there is an industry requirement, I don't see the need for the documentation. What's next IP rating on umbrellas? Again, not even all mobile phones are waterproof.

Omg this was hilarious. “It’s rain and snow proof but do not operate the drone in rain or snow!”😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
This is what happens when there are various degrees of something and you overlook the word "strong."
This is what happens when language gets in the way and we blur the different between waterproof and water-resistant.
This is what happens when marketing tries to define science.

Just use common sense.

...the absolute lack of any water, moisture or dust protection on any DJI consumer drone.

My FIMI X8 Pro ...has an IP 43 dust/water proof rating. This means i can fly ...in the rain safely without damaging the drone. ...If a DJI drone flies through low fog or gets caught in a pop up rain shower and is damaged, then DJI makes money
Agree fully with you that it would be nice with some serious water & dust protection... but

IP43 is pretty much worthless, it will not proof it enough so you can fly safely in a rain shower at all... and it's not sealed against dust either.

1710268011600.png

IPx3 means at maximum that you could fly in fog... but only if the moisture doesn't condensate. And how should you prove that you only flew within the limits for the IP-class, if you end up with a water damaged drone?

IP4x will not dust proof enough... the most common incident comming from debris is smaller pebbles entering the motors during dusty take offs & landings that risk blocking the motors... debris from 1mm is enough to cause this.

I'm sure each of DJI'S products are a little different. Batteries are the weakest link. The Phantom series are pretty water resistant. That is totally on my experience on flying them. My poor Phantom 3-s got the worst of it after spending 3 days under a water fall. I washed the silt out of it and put it in my dehydrator. After a new battery it still flew. I was shocked. I have had a few Phantom 4-s and they withstood a lot of rain and fog. I still am flying one. My mini pro 3 seems a little more fragile. I don't push it much.

This really bothers me. This obvious decesion by DJI to not include basic water proofing to it's consumer drone models.
Do you want the nice flight times or a waterproof drone? Waterproofing means a hotter, heavier drone. DJI has decided (wisely) that their consumers would like the better flight times as opposed to a little more waterproofing. adding more waterproofing would also make them too hot to fly in desert areas like where I live. If you want more protection you should buy a Jacket. Producers of waterproof jackets for drones have done their research and designed these "Jackets" with minimal air flow disruption so that the drone will not overheat while using them If you need more than that it is up to you to add this. Gels are sold online to waterproof your drone. Using the gel will cook your drone in about 20 min SO you have to use caution.

Do you want the nice flight times or a waterproof drone? Waterproofing means a hotter, heavier drone. DJI has decided (wisely) that their consumers would like the better flight times as opposed to a little more waterproofing. adding more waterproofing would also make them too hot to fly in desert areas like where I live. If you want more protection you should buy a Jacket. Producers of waterproof jackets for drones have done their research and designed these "Jackets" with minimal air flow disruption so that the drone will not overheat while using them If you need more than that it is up to you to add this. Gels are sold online to waterproof your drone. Using the gel will cook your drone in about 20 min SO you have to use caution.

That's a really good point on the heat. The Minis will overheat just sitting on the ground and the bigger drones have pretty beefy fans, so I think DJI is walking a fine line on heat management already for the consumer drones. It's one thing for a mirrorless camera to overheat and you just can't record anymore, but overheating on a drone could potentially be very dangerous.

Reactions: Cafguy
We have flown more flights in the Rain with our DJI drones than probably anyone else in the world.
Phantomrain.org

We have been flying DJI drones in the Rain now going on almost 6 years.

The IP rating comes from a Machine that looks a lot like 6 6-Headed Squirt gun.
The machine shoots out water at a few different angles, thus you have a weak angle you get a Low IP rating.

Rain comes down in one angle and that is mostly down and a Storm does not Equate to an IP machine..

With that said, the Drones do have some Weak Angles: Thank Fully Rain Pours Straight Down.

DJI has already created a very Water Resistant Drone. However, after flying and Submerging the drone in the water we discovered some weak links and Overheating was not one of them.

Any drone can overheat if the conditions are right, and you are not aware of your drone.

DJI does a fantastic job at making a Water Resistant Drone right off the bat with
the Motors as we have confirmed them to be 100%. Water Proof.

Understand that DJI and EVO use the same Motors that are used in the RC subs. This is a great start by DJI an Autel to Creating a Water resistant drone.

They also do their best to Vent out the Hot Air without letting Rain in but this is a Weak Link on all the Drones.
but not as weak as the Battery and the Power Button, this is truly the Weakest Link on your Drone.

ONCE THE BATTERY DISCONNECTS FROM YOUR CONTROLLER ITS GOING TO CRASH.

When we submerged drones underwater, other weak links appeared such as some of the modules on the Main Board, the Esc, etc.

We have sold close to 20 Thousand Wet Suits and keep pretty close contact with our clients.
overheating is rarely an issue because Wet Suits DO not block air flow but redirect it .

True the Mini 3 and Mini 4 have no internal fan and are not the best at just sitting as they will overheat, and I was not a fan of either of these two drones as they can if they overheat cause your drone to Foce Land,

This is why I did not make a Rescue Jacket for them, and was hoping DJI would change that Behavior.

So DJI already did more than half the work on creating a Water Resistant Drone

The Phantom Rain Wet Suit provides an Air Tight Seal where needed, Redirecting Air Flow, and Protecting some of the key areas on the drone such as the sensors, and has allowed us Companies to Fly in the Rain.

Look at the Mini 3 Pro in the Rain. DJI is doing most of the work, and the Wet Suits just enhance the Weak Links on that drone and there are many.

Our first mini 3 Pro did not last more than 3 Seconds in the rain before the sensors burned out but with the Wet Suit it was a Completely Different Animal.

As far as going with the Evo 2 pro, Yes we do make a Wet Suit for that drone, but do yourself a favor and spend some time on the Autel Forum before making your final decision.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain, Land on the Water, and stay far away from the IP machines. lol

Last edited:
Why do they need one? Just fly in good weather. Besides if they were forced to go through an IP rating certification process the drones would be a lot more costly.

So where did the OP go to? I get suspicious of a bold statement and then the OP goes silent.

This, no IP spec in any doc I can see.

Only thing is the marketing icon

View attachment 173398

But then
View attachment 173399

So at best some poor marketing you wouldn't want to believe for one second.
I've actually flown my FIMI X8 in the rain several times. I believe the warning about "bad weather" is about heavy rain or high wind speeds. There are also several videos of X8 drones flying in the rain.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne