DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

public

I'll throw my 2 cents while I have the chance. Every city and specific spots within cities have places that might or might not be safe. Common sense comes to play when picking a spot to fly at. Unfortunately, low populated places, or remote sites often offer these anti drone types the luxury of popping off without witnesses, which at times can embolden them. Not saying you can't get harassed or endanger yourself when flying anywhere, even at your house, but I'd venture to guess that the majority of these Karen type incidents when flying drones can be resolved without extreme measures. I mean how many people have been physically assaulted when flying a drone, and more specifically because they were flying a drone? I make sure my attitude is calm, cool, and collected when dealing with these types. So many times I've seen the entitlement type drone operators attitude contribute to the problem by throwing more fuel on the fire. Just leave or call 911 yourself and say you're being harassed by a bystander. Besides, in most circumstances you are usually safer when the perpetrator doesn't expect how well you can defend yourself. Why expose that ace in the hole? Even if you are armed (and I always am) I see no reason to brandish anything, even a baseball bat. I'm more worried about the real nut cases walking around who would sneak up behind and clock you for any unknown reason. That type of violence seems be be a non-drone related problem that often happens in the more populated areas that involve deranged people, not the average complainer. Verbal assault such as what the OP and others have experienced is vastly different than a person who is hell bent to do physical harm because of a mental problem or someone planning to rob you. It's hard to keep aware of your surrounding when your head is stuck in a video monitor but luckily most encounters such as the OP's (from what I've seen) are easy to diffuse without causing a huge incident.

Next time bring a fly swatter with you. When they approach you and start bothering you take it out. When they ask why you have a fly swatter tell them it's to get rid of pests and swat them. LOL

Kidding of course...that would be battery...but still be funny.

Does this happen a lot?
If you chat with photographers you will likely hear of people marching up into a shot and demanding that the camera be put away right now because they don't want to be photographed and… (Often the bothered party has no compunction about pulling out their cell phone and recording the photographer — and no sense of irony either!)

I once had someone sit down for lunch right in front of my camera (I was photographing a landscape, using a tripod) then tell me that I couldn't take their picture. I told them that I was photographing the scene, and if they chose to sit there while I was in the middle of taking pictures then being part of the picture was their lookout — my camera was there before they walked up.

On a sillier note, loop a high-pitched whine on your phone so when the drone comes down and is turned off you can 'prove' that what they are hearing is in their head, not from your drone :)

I think those people dont really care about drones, they are just looking for "anything" to justify a confrontation. She is not mad about drone, she is just mad and used your drone as a reason to have a fight.
My advice: Dont be bothered in the slightest
I suspect that she was mad because you were happy...

Hi.
I am new to drone flying, I have a Mavic air which I love, still learning loads about it. I recently took it out to fly, i found a large open space near to where I live, there was only 2-3 members of the public around. I flew my drone to test camera etc. Had a really good flight, no problems, learnt loads, landed safely. then, from out of nowhere a woman appeared marching with purpose towards me. She said, and I quote, " are you flying that thing for your own pleasure? not considering anybody else, just thinking about yourself?" I was gob smacked, I said I was, but there was no-one else around to think about, she then went on to say that it sounds like a wasp and it is affecting her tinnitus, trying to suppress a smile I asked her if she had the same problem with motorbikes and grass strimmer's, she walked off calling me selfish.
Does this happen a lot? I thought I had found a really good place to fly, it has put me off going back.
I'm a little late to the party with my post here, but I just read this and almost laughed out loud!
I HAVE TINNITUS, and the drone has ZERO effect on it. The ringing is loudest when there are NO sounds around you...not when the ARE sounds! Just sayin'.

Reactions: Daytona500
when I encounter stupid people I say nothing, this pisses them off more then anything. If they continue after several mins of my silence I tell them I'm calling the Police for interfering with a Pilot

that is one nice thing about being a former cop from an on duty shooting injury, still have the badge and permit to carry a weapon.... people who want to act stupid usually decide to act better when they see the star and sidearm in the holster. common sense they lost, they suddenly find it and use it.
I am LTC in my state and fly CCW every single place I fly that is legal to also carry. Yes many of us do. For these Karens who who feel obligated to make physical threats and gestures against a stranger they covered 400 yards to approach to harass.

Well, not so much time ago there was someone flying in our area with (I guess) Mavic Pro over houses, farms, hovering few meters above horses in stall (which went kind of crazy) and one farmer run to our house, pissed as hell, expecting to do a lot of shouting ... (as most people in our village know I have and use drone ...)

Well, as I did cleaning around the house at this time, I obviously wasn't correct address and after drinking a beer together we discussed a bit over drones and safety and how "good pilots" wouldn't do that in any case - but whoever flew over there (I don't know anyone, but know the general direction, where drone went in the end), did not make any good for both people and drone operators. I forwarded him to Police if such scenario happens again. I don't know, if they will/can do anything but at least there's somebody else to complain to. ;)

Regards,
Gregor

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird