DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pulling data from Memory Card

kingsolomon12

Reactions
If I am using a memory card and opting to store all photo and video to memory card vs internal memory of the drone do I have to take the memory card out to pull the data or can I just plug the cable from drone to computer and pull data as you can from the internal memory ?

If I am using a memory card and opting to store all photo and video to memory card vs internal memory of the drone do I have to take the memory card out to pull the data or can I just plug the cable from drone to computer and pull data as you can from the internal memory ?
Plug a cable in ... if you want the slowest and messiest transfer.
Pull the card, pop it in a usb reader and you can have your image files quick and easy.

You can do both, but the preferred method would be to remove the card, put it into an adapter, then plug it directly into your computer. I would also transfer all data files off of the micro SD after every shoot.

When you load up your SD card, you create the following possibilities, all not good:

1. You risk losing all of your data if the drone crashes or flies away.
2. SD cards should be frequently formatted to retain their reliability, although I've never had a problem with one.
3. The card could fill up while you're in the field, leaving you no space for that great shot.
4. With the files safely stored in your computer, you can more easily manipulate and use the data in post operations.

You're going to be processing the videos anyway with your computer, so why not remove them from the SD card? If you're afraid that your personal computer may crash, store the files in multiple locations. Also, plugging your drone into your computer is awkward (-or at least it was awkward for me...I did it only once).

You can do both, but the preferred method would be to remove the card, put it into an adapter, then plug it directly into your computer. I would also transfer all data files off of the micro SD after every shoot.

When you load up your SD card, you create the following possibilities, all not good:

1. You risk losing all of your data if the drone crashes or flies away.
2. SD cards should be frequently formatted to retain their reliability, although I've never had a problem with one.
3. The card could fill up while you're in the field, leaving you no space for that great shot.
4. With the files safely stored in your computer, you can more easily manipulate and use the data in post operations.

You're going to be processing the videos anyway with your computer, so why not remove them from the SD card? If you're afraid that your personal computer may crash, store the files in multiple locations. Also, plugging your drone into your computer is awkward (-or at least it was awkward for me...I did it only once).
Appreciate the detailed response. I had a Mavic and removing the card was so simple, I got unlucky with my new Mavic Pro 2 and the memory card gets firmly stuck (but operates) and requires tweezers to remove every time. I am set to get a brand new one tomorrow but I was just checking in case I get cursed with another faulty one if you can get by without having to remove the memory card but seems like ideally not - lol - I will keep my fingers crossed for tomorrow :) Thank you guys again for the responses.

I connect a cable directly to my computer...the drone show up as 2 disks...I drag and drop the files to my desk top ...erase the SIM card and away I go.....I have not found this to be slow.

Reactions: kingsolomon12
erase the SIM card and away I go

I might suggest that you NOT erase the memory card until you have finished editing whatever images or videos you copied to your confuser. Many's the time I did what are you doing and then screwed up something by writing over it with no backup on the card. Now, I wait as there is no rush whatsoever to clear the card.

Just a tip from a dim-witted old geezer. :)

Reactions: kingsolomon12
I connect a cable directly to my computer...the drone show up as 2 disks...I drag and drop the files to my desk top ...erase the SIM card and away I go.....I have not found this to be slow.
It's much slower using the cable and you have to leave the drone powered up and getting hot.
You'd have to try the alternative to notice the differences.

I might suggest that you NOT erase the memory card until you have finished editing whatever images or videos you copied to your confuser. Many's the time I did what are you doing and then screwed up something by writing over it with no backup on the card. Now, I wait as there is no rush whatsoever to clear the card.

Just a tip from a dim-witted old geezer. :)
I don't know what you are doing, but when I import the video to edit, it doesn't touch the original.

I don't know what you are doing, but when I import the video to edit, it doesn't touch the original.

1C: I guess I should have referenced the previous post:

I was just suggesting that folks not delete the files on the card immediately after transferring them to their computer as you MIGHT want a copy of one or more of the unedited original files sometime later during editing.

1C: I guess I should have referenced the previous post:

I was just suggesting that folks not delete the files on the card immediately after transferring them to their computer as you MIGHT want a copy of one or more of the unedited original files sometime later during editing.
Perhaps I wasn't clear. When I copy the file from the card to my computer, I now have a copy of the original that will remain as such. I import the file into Finalcut Pro, which does nothing to the original file on the computer. Since everything on my machine is backed up hourly, I have several copies of all originals.

1C: You're obviously good to go backup-wise. I mentioned what I did because I've seen many stills and videos posted on this forum with the original filenames so folks who do not do as you do, might need an original file from the card from time to time. I understand that FCP or any other video editor, only imports the original but it's still possible to overwrite even with that method if you're not careful.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000