DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Purpose of the USB port

Harro

Reactions
Hi, great informative forum, and my first post. I just bought a Macic2 Pro (first drone) and am interested to know if I can use the USB port on the controller to connect my Android phone. It seems to work as expected, except for one thing, there is no video input from the camera (rest of the information that I expect is there) as there is if I use the micro connector on the LH side. Is that normal?

Yes you can use that bottom USB port, many do. Try using the USB lead that your phone came with.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Hi, great informative forum, and my first post. I just bought a Macic2 Pro (first drone) and am interested to know if I can use the USB port on the controller to connect my Android phone. It seems to work as expected, except for one thing, there is no video input from the camera (rest of the information that I expect is there) as there is if I use the micro connector on the LH side. Is that normal?

If you use the bottom USB for your phone/tablet, don’t forget to unplug the micro usb lead from the side, otherwise you won’t have any feed to your phone/tablet.
You can’t have the bottom usb connected and a lead also plugged into the side usb at the same time.

Oh and that micro USB port is almost square! It’s so easy to plug the charging in lead the wrong way round and break off the little ‘tab’ inside, resulting in ‘no charging’. That’ll mean either a new controller or sending it away for repair. My advice is to either paint a spot of white paint on the connector so you know which way is up...or..buy a magnetic cable connector and lead.
I bought one and leave it permanently plugged into the controller, I just then attach the lead magnetically to the end ‘stub’ sticking out from the controller. Saves unplugging from the micro slot and risking damage.

Reactions: Porky
The reason it's probably square is because it acts like a host for connecting to a device (phone/tablet) as well as a device for charging, firmware update and log retrieval. The micro-usb we're all familiar with is intended only for a device and not a host.

The reason it's probably square is because it acts like a host for connecting to a device (phone/tablet) as well as a device for charging, firmware update and log retrieval. The micro-usb we're all familiar with is intended only for a device and not a host.
It's incorrect, OTG is perfectly common on the standard micro-usb connector.

True, but I don't think they are handling it as standard OTG. There must be a connection in the stock short cable that changes its mode, which would explain why when the stock short cable is plugged in, the USB-A doesn't work for data.

Thank you all for the replies, great to find that out. I think I will use the USD port and attach it to my mobile phone and use the side port for charging purposes.

Well I tried the USB port but the phone just does not connect to the controller. Everything works fine and as expected with the short micro cable on the LH side. Every time I try to connect the phone via the USB port (after disconnecting the micro cable as mentioned in the above posts) I only get the massage "Downloading photos", there are no photos to download (stops at step 3 of the connect menu). Tried 3 different cables (all work OK) with the same result. The phone is an OPPO R15 Pro, about 3 months old. Is there a setting on the phone or the controller that needs to be changed? I am mystified. Any help would be appreciated.

The cogs are turning in my head...
Something about swipe down, usb options, and you want to change a setting....
Just try doing that and see what options come up?

Mine works as normal. I unplugged the side micro usb then plugged a standard usb to lightning connector into the bottom USB port, yep I’m using an iPhone.. worked 1st time.

Could it be a setting on the phone side, only guessing. But like what @Simmmo said look for any options there.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1