DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Put Your Mavic to Work

The INSTANT you monetize the photos or videos in any way; to advertise or sell a product (including yourself, your music, skills) you become “Commercial “ and subject to Part 107 regs in the US. You must take Groundschool training and write an exam (expect an outlay of about $1000-$1500) to do it legally. Trying to do it any other way will put you in a position to receive significant financial penalties. Don’t do it; it’s not worth the risk

Reactions: Robert Mitchell
Simply put if your making money of any kind it is considered "commercial use" of a drone and you need to be commercially licensed or certified and in most states you'll need commercial insurance as well. Now on the other hand it is up to the FAA to enforce it the license not the insurance. Will they enforce it? I (personally) haven't heard of anybody getting fined, but it will happen sooner or later. Myself I have been approached by a few of my photography clients for some small commercial video projects and I just tell them I only use it as a hobby and I turn them away. For those that want to take the chance... by all means go for it and make some $$$ after all if you do it right you can make some serious cash. I charge clients $1000- $1500 per minute of video when I shoot video on a DSLR. But for drone work I'll just wait till I'm licensed. Why risk it.

Many purchased their Mavic for hobby purposes. Like for example I like to use mine for traveling to record where I go and get an awesome views of the area. Also to take pictures of my family and track my son while he walks around the beach, park, etc. You know there’s also the usual checking your roof, looking at your neighbors backyards, sunsets.

Just want to see what uses have you put your Mavic through. Also mention any jobs like photo shoots, tower inspections etc. Any creative uses?
I live in Zimbabwe in Africa. I use mine to patrol wood lands threatened by wood cutters. Since the implementation of combined foot patrols with regular Drone flights cutting has almost vanished. The cutters are now trying to cut at night. So I need some kind soul please to help with infrared mod for mavic pro.

My mavic has crashed twice. We have some very tall eucalyptus trees interspersed with our indigenous trees. So now I employ an electronics student to help me fix it and to offer a service to other drone users here. We can't take advantage of DJI fresh care as it will take forever and the customs bill or total confiscation threat is too risky.

Firmware updates are a real mission here in Africa. And I must admit I suspect this has had some part to play in minor mishaps which have caused a problem with my front sensor and this has then led on to then two major crashes.

So I am grounded for now. Amazon parts are being ordered via South Africa.

I attach a sector diagram of the area. My home point is by sector 12 and 13. 1518316234585.png

I recently used my MP to estimate the height of some trees for a tree service to take down at our house. Also got a pic of the guy up 80 ft on a cottonwood tree (no money changed hands). He was happy to get a 4k video of the climb.org_9e3068f1174e914f_1515264912000.jpg

Reactions: mcascone
I've got my 107 but how do you find work? It feels like its a very specialized job and more of who you know then what you know.

My daughter is having an outdoor wedding this summer and I hope to be competent enough by then to capture a lot of it by drone. Also going to Africa this summer and hope to get some shots of the Mountain Gorillas from an angle most people don't get to see.

Reactions: Classic flyer
The INSTANT you monetize the photos or videos in any way; to advertise or sell a product (including yourself, your music, skills) you become “Commercial “ and subject to Part 107 regs in the US. You must take Groundschool training and write an exam (expect an outlay of about $1000-$1500) to do it legally. Trying to do it any other way will put you in a position to receive significant financial penalties. Don’t do it; it’s not worth the risk

I agree it's not worth the risk, but it's not that expensive to get a Part 107. The only requirement is to pass the exam. You can study for the exam using free online or printed resources and the exam costs between $170 and $250 depending on where you are located (in the US). You can take the exam several times - so if you fail it study some more then take it again. Btw, a large part of the exam covers reading and understanding sectional maps so be sure to study up on those. There are a ton of online resources - paid and free - to use to prepare for the exam, including practice exams. Take your time learning everything you can before you take the test so you can pass it the first time. All you need is a 70 to pass.

Last edited:
My daughter is having an outdoor wedding this summer and I hope to be competent enough by then to capture a lot of it by drone. Also going to Africa this summer and hope to get some shots of the Mountain Gorillas from an angle most people don't get to see.
As long as you obey the local protocol and practice "SAFETY FIRST" mentality I'm for your ultimate success...Contradictions!

I use my Mavic and P3P to fly our construction sites each week to show our investors how things are progressing. It's so much easier to see the progress from the air than it is from the ground, especially on large projects, although I take ground photos too. I also use them for vacations, fun and family.

I've got my 107 but how do you find work? It feels like its a very specialized job and more of who you know then what you know.

I don't do any commercial work but I get bombarded by people in the real estate industry asking me to fly aerials and video for them. Advertise for residential or commercial real estate video or photos and you will have so much work you won't know what to do - ha!

Reactions: mcascone
Recording my travels around Australia. Have some great photos and videos. Just recently used the Mavic to look at my and my neighbors roofs for damage after a bad hail storm.

I'm a recording artist and live performer, I've bought my mavic air to shoot music videos by myself as other people are too expensive to hire or flaky when it comes to come to the shoot and make something happen. £769 will hopefully allow me to shoot videos abundantly, opposed to paying £400 per music video. Let's see. 4days and 8 crashes hahaha but thankful for the guards no damage yet

8 crashes no damage? Amazing, the camera is usually messed up in most crashes unless you use the guard.

Word of advice with no lecturing because I have no idea how many posting here are in the US and have their p107.

Be very careful when doing anything commercial without cert.

I have some friends with FAA knowledge who think they are going to make some examples soon. Fines will be very steep to get the word out.

Are the odds high that they will go after YOU? Probably not, but once you are identified, game over.

I, for one, would not want to be that guy.

I don't know man, I called the FAA a couple weeks ago about my son being under 16 and youtube videos. There is a loop hole kinda but I won't mention it here, it's actually a technicality. I would be happy to discuss with you in private.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d