DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about car charging with inverter

gbrown808

Reactions
I have a 150 watt power inverter that plugs into the 12V outlets in my car. I figured I could plug my Mavic Air wall charger into this inverter and charge my batteries while I'm driving. However, for some reason the battery does NOT charge when the engine is running, but it DOES charge when the engine is turned off but the car is turned on.

Any ideas why this is happening? I want to be able to charge while I'm driving between locations, and not have to worry about the charger draining my car battery. Just seems strange to me that it would work when the engine isn't running, but stops working the moment the engine starts.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like an issue with the inverter or what it is plugged into. Personally, I have the FStop Labs car charger that charges two batteries and the remote at once. Works great for me.

It's your inverter. It sounds like it has an input cut-off voltage and when your car is running your cigarette socket is getting or delivering close to 14volts from alternator which most do but is just over the threshold of the inverter input voltage so inverter shuts down.
No problem when engine stoped as below 13.8volts.
You need a slightly better inverter or a regulated 13.8 volts from your cigarette socket.

It's your inverter. It sounds like it has an input cut-off voltage and when your car is running your cigarette socket is getting or delivering close to 14volts from alternator which most do but is just over the threshold of the inverter input voltage so inverter shuts down.
No problem when engine stoped as below 13.8volts.
You need a slightly better inverter or a regulated 13.8 volts from your cigarette socket.
So should I buy an inverter with higher wattage (eg 300 watt)? Do I need the "pure sine" inverters?

So should I buy an inverter with higher wattage (eg 300 watt)? Do I need the "pure sine" inverters?

The car chargers aren't that expensive, I'd go that route instead.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
swooshdave, I was going to buy the FSLabs charger but I believe that I read somewhere on this forum that you’ll void DJIs warranty on the batteries, so needless to say, I opted not to make the purchase. Do you know whether that’s true or not?

swooshdave, I was going to buy the FSLabs charger but I believe that I read somewhere on this forum that you’ll void DJIs warranty on the batteries, so needless to say, I opted not to make the purchase. Do you know whether that’s true or not?
I was just going to ask the same question as well..... Also, for those that has this charger, how many times have you charged your batteries and/or RC with it? Does it get hot? Like to see how it's been holding u being used a lot. Thanks, Ray

every time i go looking for inverters and batteries the amount of options available makes the process kinda daunting. If you want to get through a 2-3 hour load shed then, at a guess (best to contact one of the suppliers), look at a 70-100 Ah battery and 200-300 W inverter 10 Best Power Inverters For Car (2018) | Reviews – Invertero The trick to battery longevity is not to drain it past 50%. Only connect low power devices like CFL/LED lights, modem, laptop etc. Forget about desktops, big screens, heating or incandescent lights.

Last edited:
Using a third party product can't void your warranty unless they can prove the charger caused the damage. The charger is basically just a power supply.

Reactions: Fhonda stech
Not sure if this will help you, but being a 4WD'r I am used to going 12v, and avoiding the problems / cost with inverters . . .trust you are using pure sine, if not this is probably your issue.

Anyway, I have the Mavic Pro, and purchased the 12v charger for it, assume the Air also has this available ?

I found the 12v supply from the vehicle directly was unrelaiable, even when the vehicle was running and alternator output well over 14v.

The 12v DJI charger needs 13.1v (I thik, or thereabouts), so I purchased a step converter that take the voltage from 12.7v or whatever, to a reliable 13.8v . . . think the amps might have been needed too from memory.

Anyway, this works a charm whether vehicle is running or ignition off, I just added a heavy duty cigarette light plug M&F to relative wires, soldered, shrink tubed, and it's been rock solid on at least 20,000km of outback driving now, charges MAvic batteries faster than 240v too !!

WaterProof (12V to 13.8V) (10A) (138W) DC/DC Step-UP Power Converter Regulator | eBay

You can probably find them on ebay in your location / country I'm sure.

Reactions: Joe Z
An automobile power inverter is an electrical transformer that takes the 12-volt direct current (DC) and changes it to 120-volt alternating current (AC). That allows you to run small electrical devices that you normally plug into a wall receptacle.

Your auto electrical system is a 12-volt DC system that runs off the battery and the alternator when the engine is running. The inverter allows you to tap into the system and draw a limited amount of power to run 120- volt AC devices.

I have an inverter in my vehicle and the information sheet said not to use it to charge batteries.

@MAvic_South_Oz - From reading the description it sounds like your device is a Converter Regulator - just steps up the D.C. output - doesn't change it to A.C.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123