DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about Geofencing

RParker762

Reactions
I have noticed videos on youtube where people are flying at some national parks, ie. Grand Tetons and the Grand Canyon. The video says they are flying the MA2 but I was under the assumption that since they are national parks, the drone won't even take off. Also, when I look at the Fly app, those areas do not show them as NFZs.

The only thing that physically stops your DJI craft to fly is the DJI Fly Safe material loaded into the craft. Going here --> Geo Zone Map - Fly Safe - DJI will show you which & how areas are regulated according to that material on a computer (can be viewed through the app map also).

All local regulations aren't included in that material & it will be up to you as a pilot to find out & obey all other regulations.

A lot of areas aren't marked according to the DJI Fly Safe material as seen below in the web map over the Grand Canyon national park ... which make it possible to disregard the regulations & fly anyway.

1629373954192.png
1629373968880.png

The only thing that physically stops your DJI craft to fly is the DJI Fly Safe material loaded into the craft. Going here --> Geo Zone Map - Fly Safe - DJI will show you which & how areas are regulated according to that material on a computer (can be viewed through the app map also).

All local regulations aren't included in that material & it will be up to you as a pilot to find out & obey all other regulations.

A lot of areas aren't marked according to the DJI Fly Safe material as seen below in the web map over the Grand Canyon national park ... which make it possible to disregard the regulations & fly anyway.

View attachment 133627
View attachment 133628
Thanks for the reply. Not going to do it either way but was just wondering how it was being done. I recall a while back when I had my MPP that the Superstition Mountains here in AZ were covered in red and it listed them as a NFZ but now they are not. Maybe was a TFR but I don't recall seeing anything about it.

The best source of information is the FAA's sectional charts. You'll see that there are special flight rules covering the Grand Canyon. As far as I know, this is the only National Park (apart from NPS properties in Washington DC) that is covered by FAA special flight rules. Other National Parks are covered only by NPS policy, which forbids takeoffs, landings, and operations inside the park, but does not cover overflights.

Reactions: sar104
I have noticed videos on youtube where people are flying at some national parks, ie. Grand Tetons and the Grand Canyon. The video says they are flying the MA2 but I was under the assumption that since they are national parks, the drone won't even take off. Also, when I look at the Fly app, those areas do not show them as NFZs.
National Parks are not restricted zones in the DJI Geo system.

Still learning this stuff, but here's what I currently believe; would be great for some feedback from the old hands here.

There are three different things going on here:

1) DJI Geo-fencing: this will prevent you from flying unless you get on the DJI website, request an unlock, and get it downloaded to your drone. Just because DJI unfenced their Geo zone doesn't mean you are free and clear to fly there; see next points.

2) FAA airspace regulations and LAANC: some loose relationship to Geo-fencing, but not exact, and if you need both you need to request from both.

3) Non-FAA restrictions: (e.g. jails, military bases, National Parks); FAA don't care and don't show them, Geo-fencing may care. Up to you to behave; means you need to know what and where they are and abide by them.

Example: I wanted to fly in a city park at an unused ballfield. City is cool with this. It is however close to a military base, and within the outer reaches of the regional airport's airspace. I had to get DJI to unlock the geo zone for the airport, I had to ask FAA for LAANC approval (to 200'), and I had to make darn sure I didn't stray over the military base. Note: FAA would not provide LAANC if my request included any part of the military base, and I SUSPECT (but do not know) that the drone would refuse to enter that area (not available for unlocking and 'known' to DJI).

So far, in my experience around Los Angeles and Central Kentucky, the software is generally concerned with where you can fly, not where you can launch or land. You're allowed to fly to the Hollywood sign, the software will allow you to launch from the base of the hill leading up, but you'll get pinched for the launch/land. MIGHT get pinched. A dude posted a video on YT last week launching from Lake Hollywood park. Another dude flew over Venice. A dude posted a video literally a few feet above the the old Playboy Mansion pool. I seem to be the only one getting police called on them.

Also, I'm not sure what company supplies DJI with their maps but it's full of problems. From my house (far away from but in the flight path of an airport) it will let me climb to 200 ft. If I fly 200 yards CLOSER to the airport, it lets me climb to 400 ft. Makes no sense but that's how it goes.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twixer_bear