DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about LAANC process.

Subliminal87

Reactions
So there are two spots I want to spend 30 mins take pictures and videos. They are not near each other but this question will cover both. I have a Mini 2. I live in Pennsylvania. Township, city and boroughs cannot make their own ordinances or laws about drones, only the state can. From how I read it anyways.

Spot 1. Is just barely over the line of “class D airspace”. The DJI app shows no issues there. Only aloft. If I use aloft for the LAANC clearance. Is that the only thing I have to do for this location? It says it’s auto approved up to 400 at this location.

Spot 2 is tricky, it is within the 5 mile radius of an active airport. DJI app says I can fly there if I unlock the zone. Aloft says I can fly there with LAANC clearance up to 300-400 feet (if I go east by 1000 feet, there is a 0 flight level block. And it’s right on the line of the 300/400 section in aloft.

If I apply to DJI to unlock that zone and it says auto approval for LAANC through aloft. Does that airport get notified by the LAANC request that I’ll be there or do I need to do anything else with that?

So there are two spots I want to spend 30 mins take pictures and videos. They are not near each other but this question will cover both. I have a Mini 2. I live in Pennsylvania. Township, city and boroughs cannot make their own ordinances or laws about drones, only the state can. From how I read it anyways.

Spot 1. Is just barely over the line of “class D airspace”. The DJI app shows no issues there. Only aloft. If I use aloft for the LAANC clearance. Is that the only thing I have to do for this location? It says it’s auto approved up to 400 at this location.

Spot 2 is tricky, it is within the 5 mile radius of an active airport. DJI app says I can fly there if I unlock the zone. Aloft says I can fly there with LAANC clearance up to 300-400 feet (if I go east by 1000 feet, there is a 0 flight level block. And it’s right on the line of the 300/400 section in aloft.

If I apply to DJI to unlock that zone and it says auto approval for LAANC through aloft. Does that airport get notified by the LAANC request that I’ll be there or do I need to do anything else with that?
You should be fine in both spots with the LAANC clearance. No need to contact ATC. The clearance ID, date, time duration, start and stop time, will all be specified. Be sure you know the altitude is a hard AGL altitude above the airport Published altitude. You cannot add your clearance altitude to the top of a structure, tower etc. The DJI unlock is needed of course.

You should be fine in both spots with the LAANC clearance. No need to contact ATC. The clearance ID, date, time duration, start and stop time, will all be specified. Be sure you know the altitude is a hard AGL altitude above the airport Published altitude. You cannot add your clearance altitude to the top of a structure, tower etc. The DJI unlock is needed of course.
Awesome. Thank you!

Just be clear that the DJI unlock is totally separate from getting FAA approval through LAANC. You need the DJI unlock to get your aircraft to turn on, but that by itself does nothing to get clearance to fly in controlled airspace.

Just be clear that the DJI unlock is totally separate from getting FAA approval through LAANC. You need the DJI unlock to get your aircraft to turn on, but that by itself does nothing to get clearance to fly in controlled airspace.
Yep! I knew that. Is there ever a point where I have to upload the LAANC to dji?

If its controlled airspace and it doesn't have LAANC, then you have to go through the FAA's Drone Zone. Takes longer.
Much more of a pain but I have gotten a couple through in one or two days. It's worth asking if you need to do it.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crumple