DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about manual focus

MGVision

Reactions
If i choose manual focus it will be enought if i will just tap on screen one time at the start and my picture will be in focus all the time? Or i need to tap on screen multiple times - when i am rotating my mavic 2 pro? When i choose autofocus option i saw that drone would focus multiple times always when i change my camera direction and so on.

If in manual focus it's always manual if you want to refocus ... the behavior you describe with "will be in focus all the time" is auto focus.

Reactions: MGVision
If you manually focus while the aircraft is relatively far from any object (as it usually is) and always take still captures from a similar distance, then you do not need to re-focus for each shot. This camera has a deep depth-of-focus, with almost everything being in focus (when you focus in the distance), so you will only need to re-focus if you fly up very close to an object (just a few meters), and then of course re-focus again when you return to taking images of distant objects.

I agree with Checki: focus peaking is a good way to ensure that you are properly in focus with the object you are shooting.

Chris

Reactions: MGVision
I have this question cuz i recently shot video with results which i am first time quite pleased. The thing is that when i move my view slighty down i noticed that some objects started to become soft. You can see this difference before 1:20 and after 1:20 just look at plane or distant buildings in top of shoots.
This is the video
It was shot in normal mode with autofocus with auto settings. It is much sharper than when i was shooting in dlog m and manual settings.

Last edited:
You can see this difference before 1:20 and after 1:20 just look at plane or distant buildings.
As you pan down a little, the buildings on the bottom of the frame do not look less sharp than the distant buildings. Rather, I think you're seeing more motion blur there, which is normal for video. It will depend on your frame rate, distance from the objects, and speed of panning (there's a lot of gimbal movement here too, which in addition to the traveling AC, increases motion blur).

Chris

The mavic 2 isn't the sharpest anyway. I found out, using manual focus and clicking the "infinity" button jumps to a focus point that is most of the time almost perfect for normal drone situations like this.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drxenon