DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about RTH (yeah, I searched)

JY-tek

Reactions
I live in a very mountainous region, so I have all sorts of issues to deal with that many folks won't normally have. Here's my situation...
I'm flying in Sport Mode.
I have the RTH altitude set to 30 meters.
I am flying at an altitude of 500 feet.
I fly to the top of a 450 foot mountain when the RTH is activated.
Question, will the drone try to go to the RTH height, or will it sense the land below it, and fly at it's current altitude?

Last edited:
The altitude shown on you display is the altitude used for RTH. Terrain will not change the altitude displayed. It is always altitude from the take off point that it will use when starting RTH.

will the drone try to go to the RTH height, or will it sense the land below it, and fly at it's current altitude?
When RTH is initiated, your Mavic will ascend from the current altitude displayed at the bottom of DJI GO up to your set RTH altitude. If the current altitude displayed at the bottom of DJI GO is above the set RTH altitude, then your Mavic will return home at its current altitude.

Reactions: Tattedguy54
When RTH is initiated, your Mavic will ascend from the current altitude displayed at the bottom of DJI GO up to your set RTH altitude. If the current altitude displayed at the bottom of DJI GO is above the set RTH altitude, then your Mavic will return home at its current altitude.

Just to confirm what you're saying, Mavic will never go down to the RTH altitude. But if it encounters an obstacle, it will go up and over the obstacle (if OA is on) and then continue at the new, higher altitude. Am I understanding it correctly??? Hate to ask questions that others have already answered, but I can't seem to find the specific answer that covers my situation. We have very high mountains, and it's very easy to loose control connection over the mountains, no matter how high I fly. I just want to be aware of exactly what the RTH feature can do for me, and what it can't. Thanks.

Oh, 'nuther question... If I'm in Sport mode, the OA is automatically off, but will it be automatically turned on for RTH or remain off and fly into the mountain??

Mavic will never go down to the RTH altitude.
That's correct. The Mavic will never descend before flying back to the home point.

if it encounters an obstacle, it will go up and over the obstacle (if OA is on) and then continue at the new, higher altitude.
One of the following will happen:
  • The Mavic will sense the obstacle, ascend above it, and fly over it
  • Land at its current location if it's not able to overcome the obstacle
  • Crash into the obstacle if obstacle avoidance is disabled or it cannot see the obstacle
If I'm in Sport mode, the OA is automatically off, but will it be automatically turned on for RTH or remain off and fly into the mountain??
Obstacle avoidance will only be disabled during RTH if you manually disable it in DJI GO. Flying in sport mode does not disable obstacle avoidance when the Mavic is returning home.

What a pleasure to get "real" and accurate answers, without all the criticism and "read the manual" comments! Thanks so much!!

What a pleasure to get "real" and accurate answers, without all the criticism and "read the manual" comments! Thanks so much!!
Well just give it a little time .:)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada