DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

question about smart controller

Reactions
Hi

I have some questions after being away for a month flying the drone on the Nullarbor.

I had quite a few instances while the drone was away from me, flying over the sea or over the landscape, where the screen on the smart controller would lose the camera view and all the controller details and go back to the home screen. I would tap enter device to get into the DJI app but it would take a couple of times before I would get the camera view and controller back up on the screen.

I learnt to get over the initial heart palpitations, and just went back into flying it when the screen came back; but it would be helpful to know if this is usual? And if not, what might be causing it? Or, if there is anything I can do to avoid this happening?

Thanks for your help.

I know app crash sometimes happens on regular Android or iOS devices connected to a regular remote, but SC should be optimized for flying.
Much of the time app crashes using the regular remote is caused by flaky USB cable, but of course SC doesn't use a USB to link app to flight controls.

Even when the app crashes, you should still have control of the AC.

Hi

I have some questions after being away for a month flying the drone on the Nullarbor.

I had quite a few instances while the drone was away from me, flying over the sea or over the landscape, where the screen on the smart controller would lose the camera view and all the controller details and go back to the home screen. I would tap enter device to get into the DJI app but it would take a couple of times before I would get the camera view and controller back up on the screen.

I learnt to get over the initial heart palpitations, and just went back into flying it when the screen came back; but it would be helpful to know if this is usual? And if not, what might be causing it? Or, if there is anything I can do to avoid this happening?

Thanks for your help.
Hi. Are you sure you didn't pushed the "back" button that is located very next to to the left stick? You will be surprised how many ppl here has reported this issue just to find out that they accidentally were hitting the return button. Some even has 3d printed some kind of guard to prevent this from happening.

Reactions: ff22
Hi

Thanks for your help.
Hi

Thanks for your help.
Hi I too have found this happen to me but it is just by pressing the back button. I just reconnect in normal way. If you really get stuck the Drone should come home after 10 seconds of inactivity.
Interestingly when I turn on the Smart controller first and then the Mavic there is no video feed but camera details etc. No image at all. So I turn on the drone first the the Smart controller now. Seems ok. I think that's a tiny bug.but it has never been a problem flying.
Hope that helps.

Hi. Are you sure you didn't pushed the "back" button that is located very next to to the left stick? You will be surprised how many ppl here has reported this issue just to find out that they accidentally were hitting the return button. Some even has 3d printed some kind of guard to prevent this from happening.
I think some folks have also reported that there's some icon/option in the upper left corner of the screen (drone is elsewhere so can't fire it up) that also works like a BACK button and drops back to the Opening Go-Fly screen. So it that is accidentally tapped, it will also close the active flying screen.

Last edited:
I have also had the same experience... 3 or 4 times... Once during a very challenging flight, in strong, strong winds over a massive canyon. Not very good timing. Though I cannot swear I didn't touch the button...don't think I did. But as this did not happen with the 'normal' controller ...stands to reason that it could be the culprit. I like the idea of a 3d printed- cover guard.

The smart controller has a screen that is very sensitive, the smallest touch and you go back to the previous screen or to DJI go 4, start screen.

Today it was cold so instead of gloves with free finger toes I had whole finger gloves on me, much less problems with the screen.

I will check this finding more careful tomorrow.

Reactions: tiparoch
The smart controller has a screen that is very sensitive, the smallest touch and you go back to the previous screen or to DJI go 4, start screen.

Today it was cold so instead of gloves with free finger toes I had whole finger gloves on me, much less problems with the screen.

I will check this finding more careful tomorrow.

please ...let us know,,,, thanks

Clear weather, sunny but burr, far too cold, trembling for the coming winter, trying to fly 4 batteries a day to develop my flight skills.

Today's exercise with gloves on, well confirm my assumption that with just bare hands you often come into contact with the sensitive screen in "Smart RC". Not once in today's flight, did I lose the on-screen display.

The disadvantage is that sometimes you have to remove the glove to operate the screen. Will take a pair of older finger gloves and cut a jack to be able to give left index finger access to the screen.

Today's flight in clear but cold weather, with gloves on for the sake of the cold, no problems with Smart RC, worked all the time perfectly.

We can now say that, when the screen is touched with just bare hands, certain things happen that should not really happen.
Is this because "DJI Go 4" has incorrect handling of certain signals from the screen due to what happens during the flight, still image capture, video capture or other maneuvers. This must be investigated with practical experiments, unfortunately, this has to wait until the weather gets a little milder.

"I will be back"

Today's flight in clear but cold weather, with gloves on for the sake of the cold, no problems with Smart RC, worked all the time perfectly.

We can now say that, when the screen is touched with just bare hands, certain things happen that should not really happen.
Is this because "DJI Go 4" has incorrect handling of certain signals from the screen due to what happens during the flight, still image capture, video capture or other maneuvers. This must be investigated with practical experiments, unfortunately, this has to wait until the weather gets a little milder.

"I will be back"

Hi Thanks for the report! Very good to know. As mentioned I was frustrated after buying the Smart RC...I thought it certainly should not 'disconnect' like that. I have thought for a while, before getting the Smart RC that using a stylus pen/pointer thing for a smart phone might be good to use on the small buttons...but thought it would get in the way... Now rethinking that again..

You mentioned cold...may I ask how cold? I am curious how the Mavic 2 batteries deal with cold.

Thanks again!

Ive never had a crash on the SC apps at all.
Are you running play store or any other non-shipped apps on the device?

But as above, most likely its a swipe and/or button press by accident. The screen is very sensitive and the buttons are also very easy to hit by accident.

I agree that it is very easy to access the screen unintentionally, so this time of the year' with cold weather and gloves ,all work so much better, we get to see what needs to be done this spring when the weather is milder.

No I don't use any apps other than the ones that come with it from the beginning.

Since I fly a lot in dense forest and the eyes are more on the drone than on the screen, it is easy to accidentally access the screen, while not tripping when you concentrate more on the drone or the cutting than where you go. I always have RC in a strap around my neck.

Ok.... So grabbing the SC is different from the stock RC! I’ve found this as well. Your finger tips will, by mistake hit back buttons, or drop down screens while flying. This happens to me with my right hand and I think ring finger. It will hit the settings/menu button. First time I flew, I was around trees and a mountain top.. So... I feel your pain.
Always remember, DONT PANIC! As mentioned, the drone will return to home point if it gets disconnected. Because of this, it’s very important till you get used to it, to make sure your home point is set correctly, without trees around you to interfere! As well, RTH altitude. This can cause some issues.

Reactions: ff22
Ive never had a crash on the SC apps at all.
Are you running play store or any other non-shipped apps on the device?
With over 200 flights, I have had the SC crash 4 times.
"DJI GO-4 app has stopped" or something similar.
A bit unnerving.
But only takes like 15 seconds to get back up and connected.
Stock SC here and always updated.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada