DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question for those flying a few years

You are not alone. I live in a town of about 80,000 people. There are no skyscrapers. No Mountains. No ocean, gulf, big lake (near by) or even a river worth a ****. Visually, it's a boring place. Just ask the newspaper photojournalists. They'll tell you they struggle often to find anything interesting to get shots of.

But, the other day, I started looking at old aerial videos I shot and started thinking, how could I do that better or differently? If I follow through re-doing those shots, that will keep me busy for a long time since our aerial video/photo library spans 6 years. The name of my town is "Longview". So, I've also had the idea that maybe I could do a "year in the life of Longview as seen only by drone." That would take a whole year!

Other than that, there are many great suggestions in this thread, especially about editing. Good luck my friend and happy shooting/flying!

I Google-mapped Cork, Ireland and I see that you are located only 30 km from the coast at Rennies. Lots of places around the city that look interesting. Several lakes seen. Have you tried out the country sides- flying over crops, live stock, etc.? Your proximity to the coastal towns would provide lots of opportunities.
Spend all summer doing the coast line and seaside towns. I Get your point on the country side / crop flight. Havent done much of that.

If I recall correctly, couple years back, someone posted a video. It was the exact same flight from the exact same takeoff point to the exact same waypoints, with the exact same objective, at the exact same daily time!

Try that with, perhaps, Litchi. You could literally fly each and every day. Although it would be the same mission, the footage will differ each and every day.

Once each day
Once each week
Once each month

or spend a day at intervals.

Be sure to keep the TakeOff exact same place and orientation.

Or . . . . . Go flying with a friend and play cat and mouse with each other. Use each other as a POI and fly circles, share videos.

Make an informative video of a drone flight project. TO/L, hover, stick adjustment, anything! Concentrate on one subject only per day. Then after 1 or 2 weeks . . . Make your compilation/Instructional video.

Do a sex video of animals, in the wild performing mating habits, such as beavers, deer, elk, snails . . .

Do a follow me on your favorite trail.
" sex video of animals, in the wild performing mating habits" I'm busting a gut here laughing .Thanks for that.
Some of the other suggestions are great , especially the litchi one .Would never have thought of that . thanks again.
I'm off to find some horny bullocks lol

Reactions: theDRONEranger
You could film the footbridge at Cork cornmarket - think it's called the Shannon Bridge ? I cast the ,'L' shaped walkway supports here in Sheffield., but have never seen the actual Bridge.
I will do a flyover of your handywork in the near future and link the video to you.

I dunno , probably not . But 7am on a Sunday morning , flying over public a river at less than 100 feet ,I dont think anyone is gonna really care ?
Aha!!! My technique as always. I get to the site before or just as the sun comes up, put the drone in the air, get my shoot before anyone is around and sneak away . I did this in the dense downtown section of Miami on a SUNDAY (non working) morning and got some great footage.See attached video- many of the shots (including the "night") shots were taken before the sun rose. Also threw in a few timelapse videos.

Aha!!! My technique as always. I get to the site before or just as the sun comes up, put the drone in the air, get my shoot before anyone is around and sneak away . I did this in the dense downtown section of Miami on a SUNDAY (non working) morning and got some great footage.See attached video- many of the shots (including the "night") shots were taken before the sun rose. Also threw in a few timelapse videos.
Sweet!

Reactions: theDRONEranger
" sex video of animals, in the wild performing mating habits" I'm busting a gut here laughing .Thanks for that.
Some of the other suggestions are great , especially the litchi one .Would never have thought of that . thanks again.
I'm off to find some horny bullocks lol
And the first animal was a what???

• Haha
Reactions: SmilingOgre
Ok i've been flying a few months now. Captured everything of interest in my locality. Seems I'm having to travel farther and farther out to find something interesting to film , and to keep me interested in doing so. So question is , how do ye guys keep it fresh , without spending hours in the car ?
[/QUOT I know what you are saying , I love the videos of the colors (all of nature ) . I am not sure how you would go about finding other flyers. I am on the western slope of Colorado (GJ area)The mountains here are just breath taking. Over the Moab Utah, The canyons are a so much fun to fly. Need to figure out someway to find The sky writers.

I am not really following you on this post. What sky writers are you talking about?

In any case, if you are living in the Grand Junction area, I could not imagine a more ideal place to fly. Having skied all of that area over many years, you have the world's best mountain scenery all around you. You have ENDLESS opportunities. Just hop on Interstate 70 and drive from Keystone, Silverthorn, Vail, Copper Mtn, all the way to Aspen, Snowmass. You are only a day or so ride from Escalante, Moab, wonderful Utah scenery, etc. And the LAST thing I would want is another flyer. I need to go at my own pace, and not be distracted by anyone. Just get into your car, plan out your day, stop along the road wherever it looks good, and you will run out of batteries before you run out of locations to fly. I would not hesitate to ask the wife if it's ok to stay overnight at a roadside motel. Spend the day flying for several days.

You never get tired of flying drones or RC airplanes etc I have been flying drones for some time now and I really enjoy flying around while taking great photos and videos. Some times I pretend to be in the drone flying high around ?[emoji927][emoji106]
I’m 50 years old and loving it

If you’re willing to take more risks... I like the the idea of flying through forest and along fire-break tracks. Kinda like the drone version of going from telephoto to macro with a camera.

Sorry if this has been suggested already but I have subscribed to allot of local Facebook groups in my area. There is a waterfall group, a nature group, hiking group a Group about back roads. There are tons of them and i get allot of ideas from these on here I want to go. Good luck and have fun!

I keep it interesting by running through these homemade gates. Very cheap to make and keeps me engaged. Currently I'm going through them with the camera pointing the way then I turn around and come back with the camera leading the way. During these exercises I'm using VLOS and not the camera yet. As soon as I'm comfortable with that I'll try using camera only. Then I'll make more gates and run them through a circle. For me it keeps me engaged! Cheers

Attachments

• Gates.JPG
    Gates.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 12
Ok i've been flying a few months now. Captured everything of interest in my locality. Seems I'm having to travel farther and farther out to find something interesting to film , and to keep me interested in doing so. So question is , how do ye guys keep it fresh , without spending hours in the car ?
I look forward to different seasons. Also having beautiful clouds make the picture so much more beautiful. And every flight is a practice. Try new modes, new things . But I agree, I find myself traveling further for different shots.

I fly my drone now to support my land based video and photography, to capture that interesting angle that gives it some spice. Try flying through a forest in the fall with the camera pointing up, to get amazing backlit coloured leaves. Or the same forest in snow or frost with streaking sunlight breaking through. Interesting light. No one wants to see a whole bouncy video of that stuff, but well stabilized shots a few seconds long are the pro magic in a regular conventional video. Every time you have interesting light/clouds revisit the same forest or hiking trail and keep capturing interesting video. You’ll use it one day.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike