DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question for those who take photos in RAW...

In any pursuit professional or leisure, there are experts who look with disdain on the curious who want to join in on advanced aspects of the pursuit.
I swim against the current here.
I have been engaged in serious photography for many years and taught photography.
I'm a professional and I shoot jpg.

I don't look on beginners with disdain and want to exclude them from discovering more.
But I think there are plenty more important things for beginners to work on before they need to confuse themselves they aren't ready for and don't need.
If they really need to shoot dng, the time for that is when they understand that.
Not when with very limited understanding of more basic concepts, they are being influenced to do things they don't understand because of forum posts that tell them they should.

I swim against the current here.
I have been engaged in serious photography for many years and taught photography.
I'm a professional and I shoot jpg.

I sincerely admire you for that. Really. I'm quite a fan of the many ship pictures you've posted here, and have learned a lot from your posts.

I don't look on beginners with disdain and want to exclude them from discovering more.
But I think there are plenty more important things for beginners to work on before they need to confuse themselves they aren't ready for and don't need.
If they really need to shoot dng, the time for that is when they understand that.
Not when with very limited understanding of more basic concepts, they are being influenced to do things they don't understand because of forum posts that tell them they should.

I just don't understand this. I'm not a professional photographer. The only reason I use DNGs and apply some pretty good skills at post is because I wanted to, wanted to achieve better results that so many talk about, wanted more flexibility and control over the image. I don't need to learn all the technical aspects of professional photography to want to and understand DNGs and how to use them.

I would not be someone you would judge needs to use raw images. You would have discouraged me from learning about it, just as you are for the OP.

When I teach beginners how to use a camera, I always recommend JPEG. Not because "raw is hard", but to take away the flexibility of correcting mistakes after the fact. It forces them to get the photo right in-camera, and that in turn makes it easier to learn what the different controls do, and how they affect the final result.

And once you know how to get the best result (i.e. the photo you wanted) in-camera, then you can really benefit from the flexibility and increased bit depth of raw files.

That's my personal view on this, anyway.

Reactions: Meta4
Raw images need processing. In Affinity Photo this happens in two stages: first you develop the image, then you edit it.

When developing the image it really helps to use the correct profile for your camera rather than the default. This will apply corrections for things like lens distortion and vignetting.

After the image is developed you will still have to edit it — the key thing is that the raw image gives you more flexibility to make the edits you want. If you don't like editing, or don't have the skills, then this will be frustrating and the results may well be worse than the JPEG image.

Think of it as getting a prepared meal as opposed to cooking one yourself. The prepared meal is faster and may taste better, but if you have the skill then getting the raw ingredients means you can cook exactly the meal you want rather than trying to adjust the taste of something someone else has cooked for you.

Hi folks,
I think the point is to consider the purpose... where/how we will use the pics…

If it’s for professional work (serious, at least), we will know what to do with any editor using the RAW files.
If not, the JPGs (with some minor changes) will serve as well.

In any case, we can save both formats and decide later what to do. It’s true that RAW files are bigger, but it’s nothing considering that we mostly record videos (which are much larger).

Best regards,

Reactions: Dr. Sybren
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chinnipper