DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question on a local city's drone ordinance.

I just read that a city near me has a drone ordinance in effect and after reading it I still have questions.

I am just looking at input into what other more knowledgeable people may think the following means.

§107-2. Regulations A. Except as otherwise provided in §107-3, drones and unmanned aircraft are prohibited from being launched from, or landing on, any government or public buildings, property, or parks within the City unless prior written permission has been granted by the Ventnor City Chief of Police for a special event or City sponsored event. B. Except as otherwise provided in §107-3, drones and unmanned aircraft are prohibited from operating or flying in any airspace under 400 feet over any government or public buildings, property, or parks within the City unless prior written permission has been granted by the Ventnor City Chief of Police for a special event or City sponsored event. C. Except as otherwise provided in §107-3, drones and unmanned aircraft are prohibited from operating or flying in any airspace under 400 feet over the Ventnor City Beaches from May 31st through September 1 st in any given year unless prior written permission has been granted by the Ventnor City Chief of Police for a special event or City sponsored event.

Is this banning just the flight of drones over government buildings, parks and the beach or is this stating that you can only fly over your own private property?

I have flown in this city as part of Public Safety but have not done so in other Part 107 covered missions.

I also was part of a home inspection in this city where the home inspector did use a drone to obtain roof images.

I will be calling someone on the city fire department for further elaboration but am interested in other's take on this.
Funny that this is also 107.

What say you on an ordinance like this?

They didn't consult the federal regulations or the authority the best I can tell. And there are federal regulations for this situation on the books for the activity involved that caused it. So I think this one could be challenged with federal preemption as well. Even though there is this land/zoning ordinance thing, but this is probably beyond a city to be able to pull something like this imo.
This is a land use ordinance. Well within they city's right to control.

I'm thinking that cities are going to have a difficult time establishing land use ordinances for quads if I understand this correctly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ