DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question on a new Apple Mini Ipad for my Mavic

FLPilotshark

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
Do you need to get the wifi and cellular or can you just buy the Wifi apple latest Ipad.
Let me know your thoughts?

If you need to use features that require an Internet connection while flying (like live streaming video to YouTube), then you should use a cellular iPad model. Without cellular on the iPad, you could also connect the iPad to a hotspot on your mobile phone to share the Internet.

Only cellular iPad models contain a GPS receiver. That GPS receiver is active whether or not the cellular service has been activated. With GPS on the iPad, you'll be able to use the Follow Me flight mode and manually reset the home point to the iPad's current location mid-flight. If you need to use either of those features, then a cellular model is a must-have.

Question? I have tried to use the dynamic home point mode so that the drone returns to the controller. Whenever I try to activate that feature, I get a warning that the wifi signal is too weak. I was told that this is an issue with Apple products and that DJI hasn't addressed fixing that issue within the software. (I use an Apple Iphone 7)
Does the iPad use a different wifi signal that the Go4 app recognizes?

The drone and the iPad should be communicating via the remote control not directly via Wi-Fi. I’ve managed to get dynamic home point working on my iPad Mini 4. I don’t remember doing anything special to get it to work.

Maybe it only applies to I-Phones. I know I have read about that issue in other posts. If anyone can enlighten me as to how to get that to work with my I-phone 7 then I would appreciate it. Perhaps, I-Pad doesn't have that same ssue?

Question? I have tried to use the dynamic home point mode so that the drone returns to the controller. Whenever I try to activate that feature, I get a warning that the wifi signal is too weak.
Does the iPad use a different wifi signal that the Go4 app recognizes?
The message is telling you that GPS signal is too weak - not wifi.
That's DJI's clumsy way of saying it's not detecting any GPS signal from the iPad/iPhone.
No .. no-one has found a fix for it but .....
You probably don't really need to use the feature anyway?

What do you think you need it for?

Thank you for correcting me. It is GPS not WiFi..
I was going to use it to follow me in active track on a boat. I know the other mode (dynamic home point) will update the home point automatically every 50 feet or so to the drones position.
In an emergency I would rather have it come all the way home to me (to the remote) verses within 50 feet range of me on water.

Thank you for correcting me. It is GPS not WiFi..
I was going to use it to follow me in active track on a boat. I know the other mode (dynamic home point) will update the home point automatically every 50 feet or so to the drones position.
In an emergency I would rather have it come all the way home to me (to the remote) verses within 50 feet range of me on water.
Active track doesn't need GPS in the phone or tablet, it uses optical technology to track the target.
On the water you do not want to let RTH attempt landing anyway and you'll be needing to hand catch the drone.
If the boat is traveling any significant distance, you can still reset the home point to the drone's location every half mile or so to prevent the drone from going back to the launch point when the battery gets low.

Reactions: BossBob
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22