DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question on editing photo and videos machine

Take0v3R

Reactions
Hello guys , im new to this forum and not sure if i post it on the right section. Im entering the drones world and ordered the mavic 2 pro.

Now im looking for a machine to edit my photos and 4k videos. I put my eyes on the macbook pro 2019 with the 15" screen , vega20 gpu and 32gb of ram.
The graphic software will be davinchi or fcpx for videos and lightroom for photos. Is the macbook pro can handle it for the long term? Someone that have it have any over heating during working with the softwares?
Im using currently windows and want to moving to macbook pro because its stable and with fcpx it works like a charm ..fast and without crashes like i saw windows users complain on adobe premiere that much more heavy. I want to get the best for my money and afraid to throw that big ammount on macbook pro that will get heating and not be comfort to work with. The portability is important thing for me but for your opinions , will the macbook pro specs that i showed here will serve me best? Or i should consider to get a desktop imac or something like that? Thank you and have a wonderful day :)

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
I was just like you... moving from Windows to Apple for the post production side of the hobby. I tried Windows for post, but it was way too clunky. I ended up buying a 27" iMac Pro, with a 1 terabyte SSD, along with FCPX. ... And I love it; it's FAST and quiet! The large screen offers a lot of real-estate for FCPX. Problem is, it is not portable, but that is not a requirement for me.

A warning to you... whatever you decide, buy the largest, and fastest drives you can get. I use SSD's, about 5 terabytes total, which includes system backup via time machine. For example, I have one FCPX library for a 7.5 minute video I created that used 700 gb during development. Admittedly, I did use a lot of Optical flow for smoothing. The library was finally contracted to 206 gb. Not all libraries are that large, but it mounts up if you want to keep things for a while. Obviously I will not keep every clip and library forever. I have a plan to rotate out files over a three year cycle.

Best wishes and have a nice day!

Windows Desktop is way cheaper and build it yourself. Use SSD drives and 32mb ram. Use the AMD Ryzen 5 or 7 CPU. I have one and I promise you, it is blazing fast and half the price of the over rated and over priced macs. The AMD 3500 or 3700 CPU is faster than Intel I9 CPU as far as core processing power. And it is less than half the price of Intel. AMD has come a long way, and Intel knows it. Intel is used in Macs, so the price is always a lot higher. You don't need to spend twice as much money on computer when you can have a Windows machine that is faster and does editing faster. Take the extra. Money you save and buy batteries for your Drone. These people that say Windows is clunky and slow, just don't know how to build or spec a good PC. Trust me, I have a computer business and know what I am talking about. You can get some nice Apple products, but they are ALL OVER PRICED and OVER RATED.

If you want a good desktop built, I can fix you up, with a good machine for a good price. One that you will love and have for a long time.
Windows Desktop is way cheaper and build it yourself. Use SSD drives and 32mb ram. Use the AMD Ryzen 5 or 7 CPU. I have one and I promise you, it is blazing fast and half the price of the over rated and over priced macs. The AMD 3500 or 3700 CPU is faster than Intel I9 CPU as far as core processing power. And it is less than half the price of Intel. AMD has come a long way, and Intel knows it. Intel is used in Macs, so the price is always a lot higher. You don't need to spend twice as much money on computer when you can have a Windows machine that is faster and does editing faster. Take the extra. Money you save and buy batteries for your Drone. These people that say Windows is clunky and slow, just don't know how to build or spec a good PC. Trust me, I have a computer business and know what I am talking about. You can get some nice Apple products, but they are ALL OVER PRICED and OVER RATED.

Or u could spend 269$ and buy a 2018 6th gen ipad and edit 4k and and edit pics no problem and with ease??? just kidding...no but really im not....lol but i do use that when i want to edit on the fly suprising how powerful it is and sometimes makes me wonder why i spent a few G on a computer setup?‍♂️

I have a similar build and yes it is faster then my wifes mac (she uses for school) i did go all out with extras and stuff but man that ryzen....?

Or u could spend 269$ and buy a 2018 6th gen ipad and edit 4k and and edit pics no problem and with ease??? just kidding...no but really im not....lol but i do use that when i want to edit on the fly suprising how powerful it is and sometimes makes me wonder why i spent a few G on a computer setup?‍♂️

I'm a Windows user but have a few iPads. What's the easiest way to get video onto an iPad for editing?

I was just like you... moving from Windows to Apple for the post production side of the hobby. I tried Windows for post, but it was way too clunky. I ended up buying a 27" iMac Pro, with a 1 terabyte SSD, along with FCPX. ... And I love it; it's FAST and quiet! The large screen offers a lot of real-estate for FCPX. Problem is, it is not portable, but that is not a requirement for me.

A warning to you... whatever you decide, buy the largest, and fastest drives you can get. I use SSD's, about 5 terabytes total, which includes system backup via time machine. For example, I have one FCPX library for a 7.5 minute video I created that used 700 gb during development. Admittedly, I did use a lot of Optical flow for smoothing. The library was finally contracted to 206 gb. Not all libraries are that large, but it mounts up if you want to keep things for a while. Obviously I will not keep every clip and library forever. I have a plan to rotate out files over a three year cycle.

Best wishes and have a nice day!

Hi mate and thanks for reply,
The portability is important for me if ill need to take so because of that i looked on the mbp 2019
but afraid that the mbp cooling system will get over heat on 4k editing
about the ssd's , how 7.5 minute video became 700gb? and after developing 206gb its insane huge.

I'm a Windows user but have a few iPads. What's the easiest way to get video onto an iPad for editing?
It will let u download the full resolution 4k file right to ipad! Just hit the "play" button bottom right in go 4 find video hit download "arrow" ? then if u want to edit there is a brilliant app called lumafusion that renders 4k with ease, scrubbing is fast no lag even when done and it goes to complete project its near real time..... Blows my mind....very close to pc fast....idk how apple does it my android s10 or one plus 7 pro (new phones cant download 4k file have to transfer via sdcard or stick. And can only download up to 1080p ....andrroid needs to catch up big time in this department

Hi mate and thanks for reply,
The portability is important for me if ill need to take so because of that i looked on the mbp 2019
but afraid that the mbp cooling system will get over heat on 4k editing
about the ssd's , how 7.5 minute video became 700gb? and after developing 206gb its insane huge.
The size is related to the background rendering files to make playback and final sharing super fast. Those files can be deleted. I was surprised at the 206 gb, but most of my libraries end up between 10 to 20 gb, which is not too bad.

The size is related to the background rendering files to make playback and final sharing super fast. Those files can be deleted. I was surprised at the 206 gb, but most of my libraries end up between 10 to 20 gb, which is not too bad.
if i get the mbp 2019 with the 512 gb it will work good if ill connect the samsung t5 ssd external drive?

It will let u download the full resolution 4k file right to ipad! Just hit the "play" button bottom right in go 4 find video hit download "arrow" ? then if u want to edit there is a brilliant app called lumafusion that renders 4k with ease, scrubbing is fast no lag even when done and it goes to complete project its near real time..... Blows my mind....very close to pc fast....idk how apple does it my android s10 or one plus 7 pro (new phones cant download 4k file have to transfer via sdcard or stick. And can only download up to 1080p ....andrroid needs to catch up big time in this department
Thanks, but I usually fly with my goggles or Android phone, not my iPad, so need a solution that starts with files on the SD card.

Reactions: Gizmo6257
Android is ahead of Apple. You are doing something wrong. I have a Samsung Note 8 and Samsung 10 + and they shot video in 4k and open any 4k I have from Mavic 2 Pro and or Canon 5D with Raw Photos. So I am not sure why you are having trouble. I have 256gb micro card in both phones. I can do a lot more on my Android than my wife can on her iPhone. See has crashes and overheating when flying Drone all the time. DJI Smart Controller is Android, so Android is not the problem. They used Android for a reason, not because Android needs to catch up. I have a computer business and Apple is so expensive to fix and replace parts on. Apple is over rated and way Overpriced. Android can be tweaked, Apple can't. Apple has complete control of everything on thier high priced products. I can build a Windows machine for half the price of an Apple machine and it will out perform it on everything you do on an Apple. So get over the statement that Android needs to catch up. Apple fans always bad mouth Android and Windows products because they know nothing about them. Apple users stand in lines for days to get a new iPhone that isn't any differant than the previous one, except a number. Lol
It will let u download the full resolution 4k file right to ipad! Just hit the "play" button bottom right in go 4 find video hit download "arrow" [emoji106] then if u want to edit there is a brilliant app called lumafusion that renders 4k with ease, scrubbing is fast no lag even when done and it goes to complete project its near real time..... Blows my mind....very close to pc fast....idk how apple does it my android s10 or one plus 7 pro (new phones cant download 4k file have to transfer via sdcard or stick. And can only download up to 1080p ....andrroid needs to catch up big time in this department

Lol this is so off base and wrong. Android rocks if u know how to use it.
It will let u download the full resolution 4k file right to ipad! Just hit the "play" button bottom right in go 4 find video hit download "arrow" [emoji106] then if u want to edit there is a brilliant app called lumafusion that renders 4k with ease, scrubbing is fast no lag even when done and it goes to complete project its near real time..... Blows my mind....very close to pc fast....idk how apple does it my android s10 or one plus 7 pro (new phones cant download 4k file have to transfer via sdcard or stick. And can only download up to 1080p ....andrroid needs to catch up big time in this department

Bro what are u talking about read my post again .. ..?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️ this freaking guy.... i love android it is not something im doing .....no sh#t u can shoot 4k on the phone im talking about the drone! And downloading the 4k file from itso go film in 4k with your mavic then try download the 4k video u just shot (on the MAVIC) in the go 4 app....it will not let u only up to 1080p ios will let u do this.....also one good editing app for video in Android seriously I want you to. And dont say power director its garbage straight trash.....like i said i myself prefer android have an s10 and a one plus 7 pro as my daily but use an ipad for the drone stuff. I hate to say it but apple is very much ahead of android as far as editing and rendering 4k stuff on device ...yes they do use android on crystal sky and sc but thats because apple is proprietory ....u wont see ios on a device unless apple owns it! Also the crystal sky is way underpowered and smart conyroller felt a little laggy to me who knows what processor is in it. But i guarantee if dji could use ios on their devices they would in a heart beat. U ever see the back of the mavic pro boxes? "Apple device recommended" lol like i said man love me some android but realizing ios just works better with dji's stuff. Indeed i did go to the dark side but only for use with dji products

Last edited:
Again xxxxxxx it has nothing to do with how to use it.....its just androids limitations right now. And i doubt u know how to use android....let me know when u can make kernel's and develop roms..... Its ok to admit when something is better in a certain "department" put the fan boy xxx down and look at the bigger pic. Trust me i wish i could download 4k right from the go 4 app and not have to transfer it via sdcard on android .....i wish android had better editing apps just not the case. Again i myself am an android guy and my first ios device was this ipad .... I seen that I could actually download my 4K video (RECORDED WITH THE MAVIC NOT THE PHONE!!!!!) and could dl the 4k file only on ios go 4 app and then edit it with ease using lumafusion blew me away how fast rendering and editing was idk if u thought i meant downloading just a regular 4k file from the phone but no im talking about what u record with mavic and going to go 4 and downloading it from there....this is most likely an app issue but apple has us in the editing game for sure.....now next time u comment read the post better

Last edited:
Android is ahead of Apple. You are doing something wrong. I have a Samsung Note 8 and Samsung 10 + and they shot video in 4k and open any 4k I have from Mavic 2 Pro and or Canon 5D with Raw Photos. So I am not sure why you are having trouble. I have 256gb micro card in both phones. I can do a lot more on my Android than my wife can on her iPhone. See has crashes and overheating when flying Drone all the time. DJI Smart Controller is Android, so Android is not the problem. They used Android for a reason, not because Android needs to catch up. I have a computer business and Apple is so expensive to fix and replace parts on. Apple is over rated and way Overpriced. Android can be tweaked, Apple can't. Apple has complete control of everything on thier high priced products. I can build a Windows machine for half the price of an Apple machine and it will out perform it on everything you do on an Apple. So get over the statement that Android needs to catch up. Apple fans always bad mouth Android and Windows products because they know nothing about them. Apple users stand in lines for days to get a new iPhone that isn't any differant than the previous one, except a number. Lol
I think they use Android because it is cheap, and because Apple is proprietary.

Ok , i have just checked prices for windows pc builds
the macbook pro 2019 with the specs i wanted in israel cost around 5700$
in this price i can get the new ryzen 3950x 16 cores 32 threads paired with gtx 2080ti overclocked, 64gb ram 3200MHz ,512gb ssd samsung pro + 2tb 970 evo+4tb HDD ( included the pc case , motherboard and PSU)

its redicules what i can get with mbp price..
buti dont know if the windows is stable enough.. i heard alot that premiere pro crashes ..
also if i get this pc specs, should i go with liquid cooling?

Ok , i have just checked prices for windows pc builds
the macbook pro 2019 with the specs i wanted in israel cost around 5700$
in this price i can get the new ryzen 3950x 16 cores 32 threads paired with gtx 2080ti overclocked, 64gb ram 3200MHz ,512gb ssd samsung pro + 2tb 970 evo+4tb HDD ( included the pc case , motherboard and PSU)

its redicules what i can get with mbp price..
buti dont know if the windows is stable enough.. i heard alot that premiere pro crashes ..
also if i get this pc specs, should i go with liquid cooling?
No doubt that a lot can be accomplished with Windows using Mac dollars. But speaking to the stability issue, my experience with the iMac Pro is extremely stable with FCPX and provides direct compatibility with ProRes 422 and the Inspire system. Just another perspective, although over priced.

And another thing, I'd get a larger native SSD, say 2tb. Rendering is much faster on an SSD and some libraries can get pretty large. Besides, with post processing and clip storage, you can never have too much space.

No doubt that a lot can be accomplished with Windows using Mac dollars. But speaking to the stability issue, my experience with the iMac Pro is extremely stable with FCPX and provides direct compatibility with ProRes 422 and the Inspire system. Just another perspective, although over priced.

And another thing, I'd get a larger native SSD, say 2tb. Rendering is much faster on an SSD and some libraries can get pretty large. Besides, with post processing and clip storage, you can never have too much space.

So you recummend the 2017 model imac pro?
Which specs you got with it?
I wanted the 2019 i9 mbp with 2tb vega 20 and 32gb ram.
But have read in many places that it has thermal throttling .. afraid to pay that much and recieve an heating device..

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato