DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question on weight.

So my mavic mini claims to be 249g. I have a high quality scale that is on point and I get 266g with battery. Everytime. Add a nickel coin it goes up by 5 when Empty or full so I know its on.. has anyone else had this issue? I already know I'm gonna get the my scale is broke responce but here is a video of me doing it live: idk...

#MiniGate2020? Or #ImjustDumb
i remember when they first came out there was a lot of talk about this

Reactions: TOTALREASON
Mine is 246g with battery, no gimbal and light decal and 250g on the dot with the gimbal.
I guess you mean the gimbal cover, rather than the gimbal itself? The gimbal is the mechanism that rotates the camera, and requires unplugging wires and releasing vibration mounts to remove.

Update: will have official weigh in tommorow. Will REMOVE gimbal cover. And make sure there is no air in the empty battery compartment.. ;) (very funny comment I saw here btw)
I'll update asap
#MiniGate2020

• Haha
Reactions: BigAl07
Would a vacuum in the battery comperment create bouyancy?
Naw buoyancy would be only in a liquid. The absence of air would make it sink. An air pocket would float if sealed in water. I think it's the gimbal cover where I messed up.. it's apparently 5.1 grams and 249 plus 5.1 is 254.1. 264-6 is what I was reading on my scale..so I have 10gs un accounted for yet. Update asap

I meant bouyancy in air, sorry. Did the shops say no? Tesco has self weigh scales :eek:for fuit and veg

It may be hysteresis which is the value of a physical property lags behind changes in the effect causing it.
Just a theory, but possibly when you drop a weight on a scale it will register higher due to the weight increasing from impact and then lowering post impact. Sort of a sticking type effect.
Try gently putting the drone on the scale and see if that helpls.

You can get buoyancy in any fluid (air, water, mercury, nitrogen etc...) It's not just water or a liquid that buoyancy relates to. A helium balloon has buoyancy in air (and water, for that matter). A vacuum will create buoyancy in air.

Having the "249g" on the side of the drone should be good enough for any legal disputes. Especially if you don't have any accessories added.

On a side note, technically the gravity constant changes depending on your location as well. At work we have a calibration lab that has had the gravity mapped and certified by NIST.
NOAA - Surface Gravity Prediction

You can get buoyancy in any fluid (air, water, mercury, nitrogen etc...) It's not just water or a liquid that buoyancy relates to. A helium balloon has buoyancy in air (and water, for that matter). A vacuum will create buoyancy in air.
Wait so you can take a container and make it a vacuum and you are saying it will float...? Hmmm. Idk...

Helium floats because it's lessdense than air. A vaccum is more dence isn't it?
That's right, helium balloons float because the balloon doesn't weight much and the helium is lighter than air. The balloon itself isn't heavy enough to pull the helium down, so the helium wins, and up goes the balloon. A vacuum is made by taking all the air out of the container and not letting anything else in. That makes it lighter and, if the container itself is strong and light, it might even float.

Helium floats because it's lessdense than air. A vaccum is more dence isn't it?
A vacuum is the least dense of anything else. It contains zero mass, so by definition it has zero density. The reason why a vacuum container can’t float up is that the mass of the container itself is too large (typically steel, as it needs to withstand the atmospheric pressure). If you could make a vacuum container as thin and lightweight as a balloon, it would really float up fast. Faster than a helium balloon or a hydrogen balloon.

Every scale I try reads 261 grams. No gimbal cover. Battery and no sD card. Crazy... #minigate is real. I Emailed DJI. They said it happens on rare occasions and will replace it for free. Nope I'm keeping it. It's rare imo. Haha

Reactions: ff22

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78