DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question - Recharging your Batteries

Tomcat16

Reactions
I would like to know when you recharge your batteries, soon after you have flown or just before you go out to fly?
Thanks for your help!

Depends. If you are going to fly again, right away. If it will be more the. 24 hours I wait. It also depends on how low you let the battery go. If 30-40% just wait if 15% I would charge it to 50-60% then top them off the night before I plan to fly.

I always wait 30 minutes at least to make sure they cool down to ambient temperature before charge the batteries.

I jerk the battery out after landing and find a cool spot to set it. I charge it when it's cooled. I'm in a location where I could fly every day and I like to keep the batteries charged but I usually just do a fairly short flight and I'm considering using just one battery and allowing the other two to sit in a discharged state. I wonder if anyone might have thoughts on doing something like that. Charging just before a flight doesn't appeal to me.

I keep mine stored at 50% and charge the battery I’m going to use within 24 hours of use. Or batteries if I’m planning to fly longer than one batt. Rotating the batteries sequentially as I roll through life.

Depends. If you are going to fly again, right away. If it will be more the. 24 hours I wait. It also depends on how low you let the battery go. If 30-40% just wait if 15% I would charge it to 50-60% then top them off the night before I plan to fly.
Right now I'm still learning, so I take all my batteties with me and fly them all to about 15 to 20 percent. Thanks for your comments.

I leave one battery in the drone and the other two on the charger. Probably not advised...but its what I do

Right now I'm still learning, so I take all my batteties with me and fly them all to about 15 to 20 percent. Thanks for your comments.
This is fine although I think 15% is a little low I would try to keep it at 20%, you do not however need to charge it to 50 to 60% for storage that is too high and no need to actually put your battery on the charger after flight all I do is simply go out and fly and bring my drone in when it's about 20 to 25% the correct storage voltage for a lipo is around 3.75v per cell even 3.70v is ok albeit a little low for my taste I'm guessing this is what 20% is getting you but it is totally fine.

I keep mine stored at 50% and charge the battery I’m going to use within 24 hours of use. Or batteries if I’m planning to fly longer than one batt. Rotating the batteries sequentially as I roll through life.
Most of what you are doing is okay but if you have to charge your battery back up to 50% after flying this is just a habit that you do not need to do essentially you can put your batteries away at about 25% I'm not sure when you stop flying but if you stop flying at 50%, you definitely have more battery you can fly.... so I'm pretty sure you are not doing that. You are most likely ending up at 25 to 30%? If so then you are fine and this is a great storage voltage per cell this equals out to about 3.75v per cell or 3.80 per cell if leaving it at 30% this is what a storage voltage looks like for a lipo. Just throwing out a suggestion you can manage your batteries however you want to but the extra step of charging to 50% is definitely not needed and if you are stopping flight at 50% then you are wasting battery my man and you could fly a little more

This is fine although I think 15% is a little low I would try to keep it at 20%, you do not however need to charge it to 50 to 60% for storage that is too high and no need to actually put your battery on the charger after flight all I do is simply go out and fly and bring my drone in when it's about 20 to 25% the correct storage voltage for a lipo is around 3.75v per cell even 3.70v is ok albeit a little low for my taste I'm guessing this is what 20% is getting you but it is totally fine.

Storing your batteries between flights at 50-60% is ideal for me as I want to be able to charge them the rest of way in short order.
If DJI thought it was necessary to keep them between 20-30% the discharge algorithm would continue to discharge below 60%.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but I have had a lot of quads in my life and never had a battery fail on me with each quad having 4 or 5 batteries. (Not counting the OG Bebop that just had bad batteries and charger)

For the newbies, start with what the manufacturers suggests, then listen to all of us and our preferences.

Reactions: tiwag
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geser