DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question regarding FLIGHT MOTOR'S PRE-FLIGHT CHECK. How can a PIC determine if a motor is nearing a possible state of failure???

I use a UTi260B thermal imager from amazon. When i bought mine I got it for about $360 bit they are higher now. Its 256x192 IR resolution ( i wouldn't go any lower on resolution tho) and yiu can buy a macro lens for it for circuit boards. I figured what is 3 to 4 hundred when my cheapest drone cost over $900 not counting extras and more batteries etc. It has pretty good specs and its very durable as I have used at my current job as a CNC service engineer and it really got abused at my last job as a well driller/pump Installation technician. That job required alot of skills from 3phase electrical to running drilling rigs, cranes and equipment on sometimes muddy job sites to installing and wiring commercial and municipal pumps for water supply wells or high service booster pumps even sewage booster pumps, rebuilding them, fabricating and repairing equipment and more. Needless to say it got banged around alot and still works like the day i bought it. Basically saying it might not be a Fluke but its worth buying lol.

I use hand warmers on my drone battery when its near zero degrees out and i ised the thermal imager to check how. Well they were working, i fly in cold all the time now with 2 rubberbands and air activated hand warmers. I sometimes but a small insulating material between it and the battery anx if its not real cold i just wrap the battery in that silver emergency blanket material. I know this ia off topic but my wife will tell you, Im bad about changing topics on the fly anf ging way off into other directions. Lol.
A wise man uses wise tools wisely. Well done! 👍🏽

Reactions: LoudThunder
My thought is you need 2 drones, One follow drone with Thermal, follow the big guy check temps on motors :)

Most failures I seen is the motor controllers and you just have to hope they are protected/sized correctly, motors you mostly see problem developing as in protected windings breaking down, discoloration on some wires and you might loose some slowly on one phase as in ac motors. But if it can fly and the motor controller is sized to it its usually mechanical failures and basic bearing check, friction, no binding etc should be enough. my 2 cents.

My thought is you need 2 drones, One follow drone with Thermal, follow the big guy check temps on motors :)
Well, possible, if you can keep a steady field of view of target drone.
I usually just land, and IR shoot the heat sink and stopped motors. All 3 are usually close in temp.
Yes thermal would be very interesting in flight that way.

For the Enterprise, I have not looked yet, you might have access to temp for each motor via SDK ..... and make your own app to monitor all real time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
motiongraphics50