DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question regarding GPS trackers.

Loz,

This is how I'm mounting my Marco Polo for now using the 10lb command strips. I'll figure out a better method after I'm sure my bird is solid. It has been noted that it is necessary to do a new compass cal anytime you install or remove the tracker.

Jerry

View attachment 2595 View attachment 2597 View attachment 2598
Did mine the same. At 26 grams, the tracker is not noticeable as far as performance. Industrial strength Velcro has never failed me yet. Put the loops on the batteries for ease of storage.;) I use the same tracker on my P3 and P2V+ for peace of mind.:)IMG_0085.JPG

Looks good FPL! I don't think I'll have too much trouble finding mine! Hey, you may want to do the "notch" like I did in the picture if you haven't done so, it sits a lot better.

Jerry

Cheeto-01.JPG Cheeto-02.JPG Cheeto-05.JPG

Reactions: Blades and Fplvert
Now I don't know anything about the mavic except for the dozens of videos I've been watching, so correct me if I'm wrong. I seen where someone lost there phantom, but his iphone dji app kept a flight log up until the loss/crash. The owner was able to narrow down the vicinity of the drone. He had one of those small bluetooth (pet, key finder) on his drone and was able to track its exact location. These are much cheaper than a gps tracker. Would this be a realistic and accurate way to find a lost mavic?

Looks good FPL! I don't think I'll have too much trouble finding mine! Hey, you may want to do the "notch" like I did in the picture if you haven't done so, it sits a lot better.

Jerry
Thanks Jerry,
I like your wrap, nice for visibility!

Now I don't know anything about the mavic except for the dozens of videos I've been watching, so correct me if I'm wrong. I seen where someone lost there phantom, but his iphone dji app kept a flight log up until the loss/crash. The owner was able to narrow down the vicinity of the drone. He had one of those small bluetooth (pet, key finder) on his drone and was able to track its exact location. These are much cheaper than a gps tracker. Would this be a realistic and accurate way to find a lost mavic?
Hi bsshog40,
First, there aren't many circumstances of loss due to the safe operation and failsafes built-in. The logs on the Go App., and Find my Phantom on the Vision series can usually get you close to a downed bird.

There are circumstances where another locating device may be necessary, but those should be rare, depending on where you fly.

Bluetooth devices have a very short range, but could be helpful in finding your drone if it didn't lose GPS.:oops:

Reactions: bsshog40
A small GPS tracker such as the Marco Polo or Trackimo would have an extremely minimal effect on flight characteristics. 1.4 ounces is practically negligible. As @Telescott mentioned, your main problem is going to be finding the best place to mount. You've got some space on the very rear of the Mavic. I would avoid mounting on the top due to concerns with compass interference.
Agree. There is also a Bluetooth tracker like Tile, measuring only 1.3 x 1.3 x 0.2in, which is lightweight and suitable for tracking within 100 feet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa