DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question

ToddR

Reactions
Forgive me if this has been asked before..

First a little background. I am in a holding pattern for my drone purchase. My desire is to run out and buy one today. I like so many are waiting to see if the rumors of a new Pro II actually materialise early spring. Lucky for me the weather has helped me handle the delay. Before the MA release i was all about the Pro. The MA, with its superior video capabilities and transportable size has complicated my decision. The lack of Ocusync is something to consider as well.. Now with the dropping of the price for the Pro to just one dollar more than the MA is making my buying the Pro very tempting.

Now my questions.. why would I buy the MA over the Pro? How if any does the difference in recording formats differ? Does this affect the ability to record and computer enhance the pictures and video. When I use my 4/3rds camera I tend to take all my pics in Raw format. It seems to me the Pro has more flexibility in format choices. Does MA provide the same ability to work and enhance pictures and video ?

Oh man, this is discussed in so many threads already. Do a search and get confused by the pros and cons. It's really up to you. It's all opinion and you are left alone weighing your own criteria anyhow.

My opinion is that the Mavic Pro by far outclasses the Air. Only the camera is a bit better but not so much in my opinion. The Pro is proven technology by now and still proves to be the best compact drone on the market in terms of stability, dependability, usability, range, and video FPV range. The arrival of the Air didn't change any of that.

In my opinion.

Fully agree... Range, Ocusync, wireless connection to Goggles. I'm a professional photographer and love the output of the MPP. You just shoot in RAW, and the camera is not a Nikon or Canon, but if flies and I've had really good images with it. Panos add resolution, so a lot of my photos are 9 image panos. For video, the Air has a slight advantage, but not enough to tip the balance in my view. It is smaller and lighter of course, but the Pro is hardly difficult to travel with.

Just my opinion. Others will weigh the factors differently. Ultimately, you have to decide what is important to you.

Remember that whatever you buy, and whoever you buy, something new will always follow. If you let that paralyze you, you'll never get anything, and will have missed the joy of the hobby.

Reactions: ToddR
If your budget isn't holding you back, just wait on the Mavic Pro 2 as it's release it imminent (within the next 2-3 months for sure). If you know for sure that your budget is limited to the Mavic Air or current Pro (with deals), then your choice is a bit tougher.

The Air has the latest tech (rear sensors, latest intelligent flight modes, etc), but the Pro still has the better transmission technology (Occusync vs Wifi). I would say the biggest differentiator is the form factor, as the Air is still considerably smaller than the Pro. If you want to maximize portability and tech, the Air is IMO the better choice. If you are going to be sensitive to range issues (you want to fly further or in heavily congested areas), then the Pro is a no-brainer. The Air's camera has a higher bitrate, and that does make a difference, but it's not a huge difference.

If your budget isn't holding you back, just wait on the Mavic Pro 2 as it's release it imminent (within the next 2-3 months for sure). If you know for sure that your budget is limited to the Mavic Air or current Pro (with deals), then your choice is a bit tougher.

The Air has the latest tech (rear sensors, latest intelligent flight modes, etc), but the Pro still has the better transmission technology (Occusync vs Wifi). I would say the biggest differentiator is the form factor, as the Air is still considerably smaller than the Pro. If you want to maximize portability and tech, the Air is IMO the better choice. If you are going to be sensitive to range issues (you want to fly further or in heavily congested areas), then the Pro is a no-brainer. The Air's camera has a higher bitrate, and that does make a difference, but it's not a huge difference.

Thanks.. I am fortunate enough to not have a concern in regards to cost. My initial reaction or desire is to to buy the MA as my first drone and travel unit, while I wait for the Pro II. I say that but should mention I do have a wife and am quite certain that would be a hard sell regardless of being able to afford.

Portability is very important, as my wife and I travel often. The MA would fit inside my camera bag (with some rearrangement or omission of equipment). Whereas i do believe any new generation Pro would be required to be at least slightly larger than the current footprint.

Without being able to try them I do not know if my local area will cause any transmission issues (my guess is it would have some). To me, I guess it truly comes down to being able to shoot in manual mode and being able to manipulate in order to get what I consider to be the best results.

So I will wait another month or so. It will give me time to get my part 107 license.

Fully agree... Range, Ocusync, wireless connection to Goggles. I'm a professional photographer and love the output of the MPP. You just shoot in RAW, and the camera is not a Nikon or Canon, but if flies and I've had really good images with it. Panos add resolution, so a lot of my photos are 9 image panos. For video, the Air has a slight advantage, but not enough to tip the balance in my view. It is smaller and lighter of course, but the Pro is hardly difficult to travel with.[/QUOTE

Remember that whatever you buy, and whoever you buy, something new will always follow. If you let that paralyze you, you'll never get anything, and will have missed the joy of the hobby.

Thank you.. that helps a great deal. I am not a professional, but do love to take many many many pics and videos. Just ask my wife.. lol..

Wow.. that was a slap of reality for me.. lol.. you are so right. I have been a huge fan and wanting to enter this hobby for too long already. Think I wait another month.. see what happens.. then I'm leaning toward the MPP..

I can only speak for the Air which is my 1st RC device ever. I am amazed at how easy it is to fly. For my second session I turned to sport mode so I could enjoy the speed. I also spent some time slowly maneuvering through some tree branches. Today will be my 3rd session and I am going to work on getting better coordinated with the controls when the drone is flying towards me (everything is in reverse). I have no idea if the Pro is easier to fly but I can't imagine it would be. I know the Pro has a longer battery life but for a newbie like me 60 minutes (3 batteries) per session is plenty enough. The portability is amazing if you are going to travel with it.
Which ever way you go I am sure you will be pleased.

It's a tricky one as we don't have all the info on the new pro.

Personally I would forget the current pro if money is no object. Your real decision in between the AIR or the Mavic Pro 2 when it gets released. If I was you, I would l wait to see what the new pro looks like when it finally gets released and make your decision then.

Both drones will continue to get new features added over the next 2 years and the current pro may get left behind.

Ultimately, the pro will be bigger, better and more expensive.
The Air will be cheaper, more compact and less featured.

It's just a case of weighing up size vs features needed vs cost. No one can make that decision for you as they don't know exactly what your requirements will be and probably you won't either lol

The pro 2 will be in a totally different bracket altogether. Different market there.. so get the air have fun . Sell it get pro 2

I would maybe even get a spark to start with, less impact on your wallet in case you crash or lose it lol then yeah, sell it to buy whatever you decide upon

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soni_kun