DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Questions about Litchi VR experience (Mavic or otherwise)

FlyawaySOB

Reactions
Having never tried VR mode on Litchi nor any experience with a headset + drone, I had a few questions for those that have, whether it be with the Mavic or Phantom/Inspire is probably irrelevant.

1) What's the main differences in the experience (or pros/cons) of flying with head tracking in the vertical axis only vs tracking side-to-side (gimbal not yawing the AC) in addition to vertically?

My initial guess would be it would be easier to become disoriented with respect to the AC orientation if horizontal tracking is enabled.
1b) Is there something in the OSD that shows you where the true AC heading is?

2) How about the same as question 1 but including a comparison with the mode where horizontal head tracking causes the craft to yaw?

2b) I'm assuming there's a mode that is vertical only and that horizontal tracking is simply ignored and the craft only moves via stick input. Is that correct?

3) How does Litchi's VR mode differ from say having a Shield tablet, using DJI go, and having a headset connected via HDMI? Or am I incorrect in assuming this would work since the video out wouldn't even be "split screen"?

4) if one wanted to abort using Litchi, mid-flight, to use DJI GO w/out a headset, is that even an option?

5) Are there any options (currently available, so not the mythical DJI Goggles) where one could fly the Mavic using the controller and a phone tablet (normally) and a second person could view the video using a VR headset?

6) Is the VR experience actually worth the effort or is it sort of a neat novelty that's only fun occasionally (maybe to show others mostly) and you mostly end up flying "normally"?

Last edited:
As far as FPV goes I've got the FatSharks Dominator V3's ($349) and the Nvidia Shield using HDMI. I like the size of the FatSharks and the 720P image. I don't like the additional HDMI cable going to my head. I also tried the Litchi and a VR goggles setup. The head tracking of Litchi is cool but I don't like the bulky VR googles and much prefer FatShark size.

Here's to hoping DJI comes out with a wireless FPV headset that's not to big and bulky nor too expensive.

I'm also surprised there hasn't been more discussion on the DJI FPV video showing the DJI google display. Much different view than the DJI GO app display.
DJI FPV view.jpg

Reactions: flydogs
I have been experimenting with this and if you are on an iOS device you can definitely use Litchi Vue on a second device. So, I purchased several different BR/3-D headset for my iPhone 7 Plus and ended up liking a foldable one the most. 3D VR Glasses, Segawoot Virtual Reality Headset Adjust VR Box for 3D Movies Video Games Compatible with iPhone 6s 7 Samsung Galaxy Note and other 4.7''-6.0'' Smart Phones https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M8IOOS3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_XmgzybR7PEA7Z doesn't appear to be listed as a prime item however when I bought it it was prime one day. It is adjustable, not bulky, and extremely lightweight. Also 24 bucks

I suggest you only use the head tracking with regards to the vertical movement of the gimbal. The other two controls can make it pretty sketchy and easy to get confused.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: LelandS
I have been experimenting with this and if you are on an iOS device you can definitely use Litchi Vue on a second device. So, I purchased several different BR/3-D headset for my iPhone 7 Plus and ended up liking a foldable one the most. 3D VR Glasses, Segawoot Virtual Reality Headset Adjust VR Box for 3D Movies Video Games Compatible with iPhone 6s 7 Samsung Galaxy Note and other 4.7''-6.0'' Smart Phones https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M8IOOS3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_XmgzybR7PEA7Z doesn't appear to be listed as a prime item however when I bought it it was prime one day. It is adjustable, not bulky, and extremely lightweight. Also 24 bucks

I suggest you only use the head tracking with regards to the vertical movement of the gimbal. The other two controls can make it pretty sketchy and easy to get confused.

Can you talk more about your set up with the two different iOS devices you use and how you have it set up?

I wish there was a way to have the DJI Go 4 display in VR. Will that ever be possible?

I am flying most times with Litchi in VR mode, but don't use any head tracking as it has no real benefit in my eyes to using the remote controller.

Below the image you will find a heading indicator showing the copter's orientation relative to your position. If the symbol will point downwards the copter will fly in your direction.

You may exit Litchi mid-flight and go for GO, but that needs a lot of concentration and time. You will have to get the phone out of the goggles, exit Litchi, unplug and replug the USB cable (at least for Android), attach the phone to the remote and then start the GO app.

The Litchi VR view is optimised for use with goggles, showing just the most important data in a size which is easy to read. This does not apply to the GO app, even if it would work with goggles.
The announced DJI goggles will therefore provide a screen layout which is more like that of Litchi.

Actually there is no chance for using both a device with normal layout (as GO) and VR layout simultanously. You will be able to do this exclusively with the DJI goggles, as they have their own OcuSync receiver and software.

And yes, the VR experience is worth the effort, at least for me. It gives you the feeling of real flying which does not come up while flying "normally". I hate flying with a monitor view, it is much more indirect compared to goggles. And I aqm even sure that flying with goggles is more safe as you will immediately see what is happening and therefore react by instinct after getting used to it and some exercise.
I think DJI has missed the goggle thing, as their goggles will now have to be extremely superior in any aspect to beat a cheap solution as Litchi with cardgoard goggles. From the information available their goggles are very bulky and because of the hardware needed I expect a price above 500 US$. Not convincing to me...

Reactions: Micah Baird
I am flying most times with Litchi in VR mode, but don't use any head tracking as it has no real benefit in my eyes to using the remote controller.

Below the image you will find a heading indicator showing the copter's orientation relative to your position. If the symbol will point downwards the copter will fly in your direction.

You may exit Litchi mid-flight and go for GO, but that needs a lot of concentration and time. You will have to get the phone out of the goggles, exit Litchi, unplug and replug the USB cable (at least for Android), attach the phone to the remote and then start the GO app.

The Litchi VR view is optimised for use with goggles, showing just the most important data in a size which is easy to read. This does not apply to the GO app, even if it would work with goggles.
The announced DJI goggles will therefore provide a screen layout which is more like that of Litchi.

Actually there is no chance for using both a device with normal layout (as GO) and VR layout simultanously. You will be able to do this exclusively with the DJI goggles, as they have their own OcuSync receiver and software.

And yes, the VR experience is worth the effort, at least for me. It gives you the feeling of real flying which does not come up while flying "normally". I hate flying with a monitor view, it is much more indirect compared to goggles. And I aqm even sure that flying with goggles is more safe as you will immediately see what is happening and therefore react by instinct after getting used to it and some exercise.
I think DJI has missed the goggle thing, as their goggles will now have to be extremely superior in any aspect to beat a cheap solution as Litchi with cardgoard goggles. From the information available their goggles are very bulky and because of the hardware needed I expect a price above 500 US$. Not convincing to me...

Thank you

Sorry if this is an old question or if I am just plain naive etc. How do you select things on the screen, tell Mavic what to do (lift off, RTH, turn, ascend/descend etc) when you are using VR glasses??? Litchi and VR are both new (have not used them yet) and can't find any user manuals, instructions etc. Everything seems to assume you know all about VR/FPV first!! Where do i get help?? Thanks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost