DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Questions about range and replacement from a new Mavic 2 Pro Owner

nondem

Reactions
I've been lucky so far having flown for about 3 hours total without so much as a ding on a propeller. That is only due to my fear-filled caution - not skill. I live in North Florida where there are tons of trees and almost no elevation. I've played it safe and kept it up above the trees at about 150'+ altitude minimum.
Living here means I am forced to deal with lots of vegetation in my line of site most of the time. I can't complain with the range I've been able to get considering these factors. 2000-3000' or so anyway.
I've got some questions:
Does the video feed resolution affect the viable transmission range? Will I get a more reliable feed and control by using 720p? I find I can go pretty far as long as I keep up at high altitude(200-300') but if I drop it down too much while at a good distance I get the bad signal notice. So far - I just hit the up-alt lever and the signal improved.

I just got some DJI goggles - Does using the goggles have an effect on the transmission range? In other words...should I get about the same range w/them as w/o them(using a phone)? I'm assuming it doesn't matter since the controller is still what is actually communicating with the drone.

Return To Home Question: If I am flying far away and drop to the ground - below the tree canopy and while putzing around below the canopy I lose signal - what happens if the drone tries to return to my RTH altitude and finds heavy canopy overhead?

Lastly: If I lose my drone - where is the best place to buy a replacement for just the drone itself? Refirb or whatever -I'd like to know exactly how much cash I'm risking.

Thanks in advance for helping out a dilettante.

I find I can go pretty far as long as I keep up at high altitude(200-300') but if I drop it down too much while at a good distance I get the bad signal notice. So far - I just hit the up-alt lever and the signal improved.
Treesand their leaves are full of water.
Water eats radio signal.
A few branches between the controller and the drone is no big deal but keep adding leaves and branches and you will lose signal.
Return To Home Question: If I am flying far away and drop to the ground - below the tree canopy and while putzing around below the canopy I lose signal - what happens if the drone tries to return to my RTH altitude and finds heavy canopy overhead?
Do you need to ask?
Avoid getting into covered situations where you might lose signal and initiate RTH.
Lastly: If I lose my drone - where is the best place to buy a replacement for just the drone itself?
Although DJI do sell the drone only, it's more cost-effective to buy a complete set and sell your surplus controller etc.

Thanks for the info...I'm I still am wondering what the drone would do if it found itself in an overhead environment when RTH has activated.

Thanks for the info...I'm I still am wondering what the drone would do if it found itself in an overhead environment when RTH has activated.
It shouldn't be a mystery.
If the drone climbs to RTH height when RTH is initiated ....
And you have tree cover above the drone and below the set RTH height, the likely outcome is not going to be pretty.

Although the Mavic 2 has an upward facing sensor,, the sensors can be fooled by thin branches, wires etc or fail to work unless there is sufficient light.

Last edited:
The M2 is supposed to retrace its flight route home if Failsafe RTH is initiated (loss of connection to RC). It doesn't retrace the entire route, but if it works correctly, it should get out from under the canopy. If it works correctly.

Personally, I do not go under a canopy unless I can maintain a visual. I also put on prop guards. I would rather control events than hope the built-in features work as advertised.

Reactions: ff22
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jtlesn