DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Questions about Sport Mode

JY-tek

Reactions
I have looked around the forum, and other places and found some conflicting results, so I thought it might just be easier to ask dumb questions to people that know....
So I've not tried Sport Mode yet, and I'm trying to learn all that I can beforehand.
1. Does the RTH work in Sport mode?
2. Does Auto Landing work in Sport Mode?

Reactions: Former Member
Thanks! Just what I wanted to know.... for now..... I'm trying to learn as fast as I can, but like most new things, too much data, too fast! I'll get there. Nice to have a place like this to get real answers. Thanks again.

1. Yes
  2. I don't use it so can't say
Things to keep in mind with sport mode:
  1. All movement is faster, not just forward speed. It will be easier to over steer.
  2. Stopping and turning distance will increase with speed.
  3. Flying time is reduced.
  4. OA is disabled.
I prefer flying in normal mode with forward-looking sensors turned off. This gives more speed without the jerky yaw movement. I have also read (but not tested) that it also gets more efficient battery use.

For first time Sport mode use make sure it is high enough to clear any obstacles. That increased stopping distance can surprise you. Be ready to use the cancel button on the RC. It acts like an emergency brake and is the fastest way to stop.

When you say "Cancel Button", is that the red Pause button??
Yes. I even stuck a button on mine to make it easier to find with my thumb without looking.

You can add expo to yaw to make it smoother. The settings are seperate for both normal and sports mode.
I did not know that. Thanks for the information.

Sports mode is very handy for getting back home fast. For instance if your start getting a few drops of rain and don't want to get the drone soaked, you can go into Sports Mode and rush on back home. When battery is getting low and you're far away, if RTH hasn't already kicked in, you can get into Sports Mode and get home quickly, or back into your immediate vicinity to be sure you can land in a good spot safely.

Reactions: CobraSteel01
If you enable Sports Mode in the app, then sliding the switch on the side of the controller will turn on and off Sports Mods as I need it? Can this be done while flying? I guess you could fly in Sport Mode to get close to home, then switch to P mode to make landing a little smoother??

If you enable Sports Mode in the app, then sliding the switch on the side of the controller will turn on and off Sports Mods as I need it? Can this be done while flying? I guess you could fly in Sport Mode to get close to home, then switch to P mode to make landing a little smoother??
I've not noticed a difference in RTH or landing via Sports or Normal mode, other than OA being off. And I have not noticed a Sports Mode option in the APP. I just flip the switch on the Controller. Sports Mode is also handy when you need to take off and get somewhere quickly to check something. Remember, when you get up high, OA is not necessary unless you are around buildings or towers. When I get above the trees in my rural area I move fast to get to another field to check cows or troughs. OA being on just slows me down.

Something to note about RTH and autolanding in sport mode, although it will RTH and land, but its just a regular RTH, it won't be any faster than normal.

A few notes on Sport Vs. GPS modes: The aircraft will Always be in GPS mode when it takes off, regardless of the switch position. You have to toggle the transmitter side "Sport" switch down (non-sports / P / GPS mode), then back UP again (Sport Mode) to enable Sport mode.

Also, if you take off in some wind, the aircraft might begin to drift away.

Don't Panic!!

Flip the transmitter switch down, then back up again (assuming it was left in Sport mode when you took off).

When the aircraft enters Sport mode, it will have the control range it needs to hold its position in the wind.

Lastly, don't hesitate to cancel an automatic Return to Home (hit the red cancel / pause button on the remote), put it in Sport mode & haul *** home if your battery runs low - you will get Closer to home in Sport mode than you will in an automatic Return to Home mode, & you can do a much better job of picking a safe landing spot than the on-board computer - it only considers Battery Life Vs. Distance to Home to determine when it has to land, and it will gladly land in water.

The majority of my flights are over 150ft where there's nothing to hit. So it's always sports mode for me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa