DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Questions on selling a drone?

sunny1

Reactions
Hi guys. Wanted some feed back on selling one of my drones. I have a Mavic drone that I received back from dji, using my first care refresh option, and am thinking of selling it. Unfortunately I activated it and flew it for 20 min or so to see if it is working ok. The question I have is, if I sell it how do I disassociate myself from this drone? It is linked to my email address. I do not want a problem after I sell it if someone who buys it is irresponsible. Thanks for any help. sunny1

Reactions: Paul2660
The only thing that counts is going back into the FAA database and deleting your FAA registration.

Reactions: Former Member
Hi guys. Wanted some feed back on selling one of my drones. I have a Mavic drone that I received back from dji, using my first care refresh option, and am thinking of selling it. Unfortunately I activated it and flew it for 20 min or so to see if it is working ok. The question I have is, if I sell it how do I disassociate myself from this drone? It is linked to my email address. I do not want a problem after I sell it if someone who buys it is irresponsible. Thanks for any help. sunny1

First step Is to restore default settings on the desktop dji assistant app. As far as deleting flight data (and any location associated with that) as far as I’m aware it’s housed inside the drone itself and isn’t delete-able or accessible to your average person. (Maybe another user could go into more depth regarding that)

And as far as your information, that’s all stored in your smart device with the go4 app. When the buyer plugs in their device they won’t have any access to it.

Good info above - and UAS sales should be handled like you would a car. Do us all a favor and dont sell it on FleaBay to an unanimous buyer, that way you have more control over who buys it, and you can cancel your liability for it by helping the new buyer register it on the spot before you let it go.

Good info above - and UAS sales should be handled like you would a car. Do us all a favor and dont sell it on FleaBay to an unanimous buyer, that way you have more control over who buys it, and you can cancel your liability for it by helping the new buyer register it on the spot before you let it go.

Could you explain a little bit more about why eBay is a bad idea and requesting the new buyer register it on the spot?

Could you explain a little bit more about why eBay is a bad idea and requesting the new buyer register it on the spot?

Sure, sorry I wasn’t more specific as it’s important - There’s an active post about a stolen drone being sold on EBay in Italy right now, and If I was a drug runner, I’d buy my drones for doing prison drops on EBay, too.

Even though its legal, I will also never (again) try to sell a Gen III+ night vision scope or other security sensitive item on EBay, either (don’t ask why not, lets just say the paperwork was a lot).

But even more importantly, as hopefully most buyers dont fit the category above, it gives you a really good opportunity to educate and help someone who may be trying to get into UAS flying for the first time to do it safely and legally- and you’d be doing the community a huge favor as well.

Last edited:
Since the new owner doesn't have your DJI account credentials they have to use different ones in order to fly. Nothing to check or have them do on the spot.

There is no new "registration" after the initial activation.

Since the new owner doesn't have your DJI account credentials they have to use different ones in order to fly. Nothing to check or have them do on the spot.

There is no new "registration" after the initial activation.

I meant FAA registration. But its just me, I also ask to see a Drivers License before letting a buyer test drive my car for sale, and sign and bring my release of liability paperwork to the DMV the same day I sell it.

That video is outdated as it is based on the short time the registration was 'suspended'
The registration for recreational flyers registers you, not the UAS so unless you'll never fly again, just leave it.
I'd be more concerned about the DJI activation tied to you

I meant FAA registration. But its just me, I also ask to see a Drivers License before letting a buyer test drive my car for sale, and sign and bring my release of liability paperwork to the DMV the same day I sell it.
When you registered for recreational flying with the FAA you never gave them any details of any of your drones.
They aren't registered so can't be un-registered.

Reactions: Kilrah
When you registered for recreational flying with the FAA you never gave them any details of any of your drones.
They aren't registered so can't be un-registered.

Huh? The FAA has my serial number, make and model. When did you register? There must have been some changes lately- C8AFC312-CA7D-4DA7-863E-E308390288BF.jpeg

Last edited:
Huh? The FAA has my serial number, make and model. When did you register? There must have been some changes lately-
Sounds like you registered under Part 107 - commercial.
If you registered for recreational flying, the FAA doesn't ask for any details of your drones.
They do tell you this though:
Your Unique Number
When you register, you will receive a unique registration number that applies to any and all unmanned aircraft you own for 3 years. After 3 years, you must re-register.

You register the flyer and not the drones.

Recreational drone flying registration also required providing a drone serial number on the online form. Oh well, Im headed towards a commercial registration change anyways. :)

Would erasing the data matter?
If you have a proof of sale that is dated, and all data that maybe of concern to you is dated after the date of sale it is disassociated from you.
Do you have data that places your identity (identity theft) in the device? I wouldn't think so.

I apologize if I am misinterpreting the OP' original question, or concern

If you’re not part 107 certified you registered
The wrong way if you’re flying recreationally

But part 48. requires registration and marking the drone for both commercial and recreational fliers.

Last edited:
I registered as a hobbyist and there was no where for me to have to give a serial number of the drone. It was me who was registering, not the drone. Maybe the earlier registration, prior to the shutdown after the court case that suspended registration, had you registering the actual drone. But the new registration programme that is currently in place did not have anywhere that required a serial number to be noted.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inky