DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Quick capture fly away

Ccase39

Reactions
sort of.
I was messing around smart capture today and had my Air following me. I jogged down the road 20 yards or so and everything was fine. Suddenly it decided to fly straight up about 20 feet until it hit a tree branch. It fluttered to the asphalt which knocked off one of its rear landing gear and then took off down the road at full speed until it clipped a power line and crashed into some bamboo about 100 yards away.
I picked it up and popped the landing gear back on and got it back up in the air.
Amazingly everything seems fine. These things are tough.
Any idea what happened? It was calibrated and was about 5 min into my second battery.

If you upload the flight log someone more experienced than myself could take a look.

sort of.
I was messing around smart capture today and had my Air following me. I jogged down the road 20 yards or so and everything was fine. Suddenly it decided to fly straight up about 20 feet until it hit a tree branch. It fluttered to the asphalt which knocked off one of its rear landing gear and then took off down the road at full speed until it clipped a power line and crashed into some bamboo about 100 yards away.
I picked it up and popped the landing gear back on and got it back up in the air.
Amazingly everything seems fine. These things are tough.
Any idea what happened? It was calibrated and was about 5 min into my second battery.
As a 'logless guess' I'd say it sounds like the MA lost transmission and initiated return to home. Did you set the lost transmission setting to Hover instead of RTH?
The flyaway afterwards could perhaps have been caused by the impact of the first crash, causing either the compass or IMU to mess up for a moment. Again, this is just a guess. Only the logs will tell what exactly happened.

It would only ascend the avoid an obstacle or
RTH correct? Gotta be one of those two.
AFAIK, the MA never ascends because of an obstacle. Only with APAS enabled it tries to swerve around obstructions on a horizontal level. With APAS disabled you'd then be notified by bleeps and visual collision detection on the video feed. So I'd say a RTH is the most likely scenario that caused it.