DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Quick Connect feature used with Macbook Air (M1 chip)

Nakita Mosquita

Reactions
While I still expect there is a 'handshake' issue preventing my new Macbook Air (M1 Chip) so that the MBA can see the SD card within the Mini 2 drone, I resorted to buying a card reader to transfer drone footage from the drone to my Macbook. But to-day, I thought that since the DJI Fly app will run on the Macbook to review the flight log info, I thought that the same app should work using the Mini 2's Quick Connect feature, AND IT DOES.

Bluetooth and wi-fi must both be enabled. I appreciate this feature as I do much of my editing and weeding of pictures / videos on the computer.

Thinking that some of you may find this useful.377E4BF2-6021-40A0-9916-7BEFCA31E282_1_105_c.jpeg

Reactions: Mugginz and rehkram
While I still expect there is a 'handshake' issue preventing my new Macbook Air (M1 Chip) so that the MBA can see the SD card within the Mini 2 drone, I resorted to buying a card reader to transfer drone footage from the drone to my Macbook. But to-day, I thought that since the DJI Fly app will run on the Macbook to review the flight log info, I thought that the same app should work using the Mini 2's Quick Connect feature, AND IT DOES.

Bluetooth and wi-fi must both be enabled. I appreciate this feature as I do much of my editing and weeding of pictures / videos on the computer.

Thinking that some of you may find this useful.View attachment 123730

Is this the exact same thing your doing or something more direct or better. ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your DJI in the Rain / Snow

Last edited:
Reactions: BillyBobMiami
Is this the exact same thing your doing or something more direct or better. ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your DJI in the Rain / Snow

It is the same feature to transfer to your phone, but you can also transfer directly to your laptop. For me, it is more direct as I prefer to preview and edit on my MBA because the resolution / Retina display on the computer is so much higher than the iphone (XR)

It is the same feature to transfer to your phone, but you can also transfer directly to your laptop. For me, it is more direct as I prefer to preview and edit on my MBA because the resolution / Retina display on the computer is so much higher than the iphone (XR)
Wow. Thanks! I had no idea this was possible. I'm new to the Macbook Air. Where do you get the IOS apps to run on the Macbook Air? (Mine is the M1 version, and it would be great to use that rather than my phone.)

Thanks,

Monte

In the App store.....Note on top left of screen shot, there are IOS versions and macbook versionsScreen Shot 2021-02-22 at 8.34.47 AM.png

In the App store.....Note on top left of screen shot, there are IOS versions and macbook versionsView attachment 124358
Note, this only works on an M1 Mac. And while you can install IOS Apps on an M1 and run them, compatibility with certain apps is NOT a given, they may work, they may not.. or they'll run, but poorly, because the interface will not let you use a mouse over your finger...

Thanks for that, I have a MacMini M1 chip and always connect via usb-c to download as I don’t like removing the card after each flight.
As the M1 chip is the same architecture as the iPhones and iPad I have started using apps on the MacMini from my phone. Instead of expensive video editing software I can now use LumaFusion on both my iPad Pro and my MacMini for a single £29 payment, for me it’s great. I have noticed a lot more iOS appearing in the Mac store.

Reactions: Mugginz
Thanks for that, I have a MacMini M1 chip and always connect via usb-c to download as I don’t like removing the card after each flight.
As the M1 chip is the same architecture as the iPhones and iPad I have started using apps on the MacMini from my phone. Instead of expensive video editing software I can now use LumaFusion on both my iPad Pro and my MacMini for a single £29 payment, for me it’s great. I have noticed a lot more iOS appearing in the Mac store.
IOS Apps only show up in the Mac App Store if your using an M1, otherwise there is no access on Intel Mac's as they cannot run IOS software.

Hi everyone. I'm blocked at connecting phase, although I've confirmed by clicking the blue button once. Any idea how to continue? Does anyone encountered same issue? My scope is to connect the mini2 drone to macbook in order to use dji fly app on laptop with aircraft album (otherwise I can't see the files from drone in app).
Both BT and WIFI are turned on.
One thing I noticed differently than in YT movie, the dji app doesn't asked for permission to use wifi connection.
I'm using macbook air m1 with macos monterey v12.0.1

Thanks.

Snip20211129_2.png

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I'm blocked at connecting phase, although I've confirmed by clicking the blue button once. Any idea how to continue? Does anyone encountered same issue? My scope is to connect the mini2 drone to macbook in order to use dji fly app on laptop with aircraft album (otherwise I can't see the files from drone in app).
Both BT and WIFI are turned on.
One thing I noticed differently than in YT movie, the dji app doesn't asked for permission to use wifi connection.
I'm using macbook air m1 with macos monterey v12.0.1

Thanks.
Seems like there is some missing info, are you trying to connect Via the DJI Assistant? what exactly are you trying to do?

Seems like there is some missing info, are you trying to connect Via the DJI Assistant? what exactly are you trying to do?
Hello. First of all, thank you for trying to help me.
The steps I followed:
1. Install DJI Fly app on macbook M1 chip
2. Open DJI Fly app
3. Turn on the drone
4. Long press on rear button until a blue light started to blink
5. A small window appeared on DJI Fly app on laptop with the done and the button connect
6. Pressed connect button
7. Connection initialised....
8 Connection failure and the app asked for a drone restart
9. Done the drone restart several time

I haven't used DJI Assistant.
However, reading your question, I downloaded DJI Assistant app and followed the next steps:
1. Turn on the drone
2. press the rear button until a blue light started to blink
3. open DJI Assistant app
4. searching for drone started
5. can not find devices message prompted.

cheers,
cristi

Hello. First of all, thank you for trying to help me.
The steps I followed:
1. Install DJI Fly app on macbook M1 chip
2. Open DJI Fly app
3. Turn on the drone
4. Long press on rear button until a blue light started to blink
5. A small window appeared on DJI Fly app on laptop with the done and the button connect
6. Pressed connect button
7. Connection initialised....
8 Connection failure and the app asked for a drone restart
9. Done the drone restart several time

I haven't used DJI Assistant.
However, reading your question, I downloaded DJI Assistant app and followed the next steps:
1. Turn on the drone
2. press the rear button until a blue light started to blink
3. open DJI Assistant app
4. searching for drone started
5. can not find devices message prompted.

cheers,
cristi
While an M1 Macbook will support some IOS apps, its not going to support DJI Fly, you will need an IOS device, such as an iPhone or iPad to run fly so that you can connect to the RC Controller to fly your Drone.

While an M1 Macbook will support some IOS apps, its not going to support DJI Fly, you will need an IOS device, such as an iPhone or iPad to run fly so that you can connect to the RC Controller to fly your Drone.
It's clear for me that I have to use an iOS device to fly the drone. I was aiming to use the laptop to process / edit the movies, the editor from DJI Fly app being more user friendly (for me at least).
I will keep digging and if a solution will appear, I will post it here.

It's clear for me that I have to use an iOS device to fly the drone. I was aiming to use the laptop to process / edit the movies, the editor from DJI Fly app being more user friendly (for me at least).
If your attempting to collect the video and pictures you take on your flights, you can remove the SD card from the drone and use a USB card reader which will mount the card as a disk on the desktop of your Mac, where you can copy them into another folder or drive to edit video with iMovie, unless you have FCP, and Photos or some other photo App if you have one to edit and store your photos.

Alternately, with a USB Cable, you can connect the Mini to your Mac directly and the SD storage should also mount on the desktop to access your data. But a card reader is probably easier.

I just got my Mini 2 and tried this today, my first day playing with it. I understand your desire to get this working for easy wireless access of drone photos on your computer. Let me know if you figure it out, I get the same exact failures to connect as you describe.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143