DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Quick flight up a stream

Good advice! Love the close shots, but there is the risk factor. Thought you’d hit the pillar in the video... but was surprised when your drone backed up into the opposite side.

Reactions: wjkrysak
Good advice! Love the close shots, but there is the risk factor. Thought you’d hit the pillar in the video... but was surprised when your drone backed up into the opposite side.

It hit BOTH sides !! Forward and on the reverse bounce. I justabout cr*pped my shorts!
That bridge is only about three feet wide at the opening... I was sure it was floating down the stream...

Reactions: Thomas B
I wouldn't have the "nads" to try flying in such tight spaces...good luck!

A big part of my learning curve has been in finding the "balance" between visual and screen navigation... my screw-ups are always in the change-overs.
In this case I should have been up on the bridge with an eyes-on view.

Reactions: old man mavic
thats the very reason why VLOS is so important, it is virtually impossible to tell exactly where the drone is from just the screen and why on bigger mavs the need for collision sensors to save the day,i think if you had the prop guards on it would have just bounced and recovered and continued to fly

Yes, in tight, VLOS is more comfortable for me. Sometimes I have to walk behind. Hope only minimal damage to aircraft. Pride will recover on next successful flight Thumbswayup

Reactions: old man mavic
thats the very reason why VLOS is so important, it is virtually impossible to tell exactly where the drone is from just the screen and why on bigger mavs the need for collision sensors to save the day,i think if you had the prop guards on it would have just bounced and recovered and continued to fly

OMM- I was only 20' away, but with no real idea of what it was like up along the bridge. I'm thinking I may need to compose more of my shot with a walkthru before sending the MM out.

OMM- I was only 20' away, but with no real idea of what it was like up along the bridge. I'm thinking I may need to compose more of my shot with a walkthru before sending the MM out.
@Flash Grundelore hi my fellow flier,it was not a criticism of your flying skills, the point i was trying to make, was that the camera does not give a complete overview of what's around where the drone is flying, and it is therefore difficult to know where you are in relation to those surroundings, without being able to see the drone

Here's my (probably way too long) version of a similar stream flight. In Philadelphia, PA, near the "Shofuso" Japanese house in Fairmount Park.

No crash, but I do fly under a very low bridge over the stream. :)
In addition to OMM's points about VLOS, a word of caution when flying under or thru something. You can easily and quickly lose GPS and sufficient light when under a bridge and the mini will go into ATTI MODE. Then the controls will act differently and it may be too late to recognize and react when flying by using the camera. Ask how I know...

In addition to OMM's points about VLOS, a word of caution when flying under or thru something. You can easily and quickly lose GPS and sufficient light when under a bridge and the mini will go into ATTI MODE. Then the controls will act differently and it may be too late to recognize and react when flying by using the camera. Ask how I know...
Thank you for the tip. I guess I got lucky! But definitely not a good idea to push one's luck..especially over water!

How do you know? .... you asked for it :rolleyes:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS