DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Quick Question about gimbal lock/cover

Barbara

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Do you all leave that thin, soft plastic sheet, that comes monuted in the cover/lock in your new M2Z, in place or do you remove it? It makes the gimbal lock a bit more difficult to get on, but the gimbal is snug with it in place whereas there is a tiny bit of play in the gimbal without it. Also notice that with a filter on it gets more difficult to get the cover on.

So I for one think Convenience is everything , and so we have never used a gimbal lock on any of our drones.

I have seen people struggle with them and in the process mess up there cameras , not to mention forget to take them off .

I always thought the gmbal Lock was simply for the Shipping from China . Other than I never saw the need or read a post where the gimbal Lock saved someone..

With that said make it easy to get on and off as im not sure what purpose having it really Snug would serve.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 2 in the Rain.

So I for one think Convenience is everything , and so we have never used a gimbal lock on any of our drones.

I have seen people struggle with them and in the process mess up there cameras , not to mention forget to take them off .

I always thought the gmbal Lock was simply for the Shipping from China . Other than I never saw the need or read a post where the gimbal Lock saved someone..

With that said make it easy to get on and off as im not sure what purpose having it really Snug would serve.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 2 in the Rain.
Interesting, I never would have considered not using it, but then I tend to be overly cautious, and I'm clumsy at times. (which is probably a bad thing when installing the gimbal lock) I think you are right though, ease of installation over snug is likely the way to go.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
@Barbara i myself have always used,the two part gimble lock and cover that came with my MPP and i use the one that came with the MM as well
what you have to remember is when the gimbal is not powered up then it is free to bounce around and move ,and the whole reason for the lock is to prevent this from happening,if you are bouncing along a rough off road type of surface then the gimbal will get shaken about and it could damage the fine cables and cause damage to the motor bearings ,it is something that different people will have an opinion on and its really up to the individual to decide about the benefits or otherwise ,it will also shake the gimbal around if you are carrying it in a backpack without the gimbal lock on

@Barbara i myself have always used,the two part gimble lock and cover that came with my MPP and i use the one that came with the MM as well
what you have to remember is when the gimbal is not powered up then it is free to bounce around and move ,and the whole reason for the lock is to prevent this from happening,if you are bouncing along a rough off road type of surface then the gimbal will get shaken about and it could damage the fine cables and cause damage to the motor bearings ,it is something that different people will have an opinion on and its really up to the individual to decide about the benefits or otherwise ,it will also shake the gimbal around if you are carrying it in a backpack without the gimbal lock on

Thanks for answering. I do intend to keep using the protector for the reasons you cited. I was just curious about the soft silicon pad that comes with it when you purchase the drone. (do others use it or not) It's very thin and grippy which sometimes makes getting the protector on difficult. Even more so with my ND filter on the camera. I think I will remove and use the protector without it.

Reactions: DHAirbus
i believe the soft cover you mentioned is actually to stop the cover being scratched during transit when new

I use polar pro gimbal protectors on my zoom and my pro .they are easier to install and don’t scratch the camera

Reactions: Thomas B
I agree on the stabilization and protection.
I use the PolarPro gimbal lock on my M2P... easy to use and better protection than stock IMHO
Oh goody, more things to buy...Amazon loves me...

Seriously, I do find DJI's protector awkward to use, and it seems a bit fragile to me. I've been happy with the quality of the PP products I've bought to date, so I'll think about it.

I looked in to getting a polar pro gimbal cover for my M2P but can’t find one ... they all seem to be out of stock ?
Some reviewers say that they are to tight and OEM are easier to install .. I really don’t mind original although I have forgotten to remove it a few times... I put a piece of tape on it now that is about 2” long and it reminds me to remove it !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Barbara
I looked in to getting a polar pro gimbal cover for my M2P but can’t find one ... they all seem to be out of stock ?
Some reviewers say that they are to tight and OEM are easier to install .. I really don’t mind original although I have forgotten to remove it a few times... I put a piece of tape on it now that is about 2” long and it reminds me to remove it !!!
Yup, forgotten it too a couple of times. Big red flag is a good idea.

Here’s links to one place to buy the PP gimbal lock... google for more... price won’t change,

I use the gimbal lock/cover on my M2P when I store it. Remove it to fly before power up.

Reactions: Barbara
Sorry folks, but in checking on the PolarPro gimbal lock (thought about getting one for my M2Pro), most sites are now saying "no longer available" though some list it as on backorder. Doesn't sound too promising............

It actually looked like a pretty good solution and would be a lot less troublesome to install.

Sorry folks, but in checking on the PolarPro gimbal lock (thought about getting one for my M2Pro), most sites are now saying "no longer available" though some list it as on backorder. Doesn't sound too promising............

It actually looked like a pretty good solution and would be a lot less troublesome to install.
Love mine... when I buy small stuff like this that is used regularly I usually buy 2.
They are available through Amazon: Amazon.com: PolarPro Gimbal Lock/Lens Cover for DJI Mavic 2 Zoom: Camera & Photo
Also at WD drone service:
Here’s a vid from a forum member:

Thanks for that Thomas. The US Amazon has them listed as not available (went for $25US) but your second list works for that same price so all is great. Appreciate the info.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121