DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Quick question about the DJI Goggles............

macker

Reactions
Okay, so I really fancy a set of the Goggles to use with my Mavic Pro but have tried VR headsets in the past and they make me feel sick. Does anyone with experience of the goggles think that they are likely to have the same effect?

Ideal situation would be to try a set first but don't think there are many other DJI flyers near me ...............

If you flew with Vr goggles then prob yes have you tried it sitting down instead of standing up and instead of fast jerky movements go slow

Reactions: macker and Gindra
Air sickness is the brain's reaction in some individuals (me included) to a mismatch between what the ears perceive as motion and what the eyes see. The effect is greatly exaggerated by head movement, as that sends a motion signal to the brain, and if eyes say something different - ew.

Classic example is where you have the goggles tracking head movement to slew the camera. If there is lag between you moving your head and the view changing, it wont feel nice.

I use a cheap VR headset with my MP which only tracks head movement up down, but the gimbal response is jerky, and that isn't good.

I second the suggestion on sitting down - always take a camping chair when you fly with VR. If you are motionless your ears are sending no motion signals. So, if you move your head at all, do it real slow.

Yes, you might have some effect from the goggles but it might be minimal if you to do a couple of things. Keep your flying smooth and slow and do not point the camera down when making turns. Rotation in the field of view has the biggest negative effect of all. Keeping the camera at or near horizon level when making turns helps a lot.

And as stated, either sit or brace yourself against a solid object when flying FPV helps to keep the inner ear and body more in sync.

Thanks guys. I've never tried flying with VR goggles,I received a cheap set for watching the VR films with. Good suggestion about sitting down or bracing myself against something.

As mentioned above, for me at least the two best advices are to fly sitting down and don't make turns with the camera pointing down.

Reactions: macker
Try this (don't laugh). Chew some fresh ginger root 20 minutes before flying VR. I was taking private pilot flight lessons a couple years ago and was getting nauseous every flight. When I chewed ginger root on the drive to the airport
the nausea was either absent or very mild. After a dozen lessons I had no problems even without the ginger. Ginger is a medically proven Class B treatment for nausea.

Interesting! Thanks for that Thumbswayup

Try this (don't laugh). Chew some fresh ginger root 20 minutes before flying VR. I was taking private pilot flight lessons a couple years ago and was getting nauseous every flight. When I chewed ginger root on the drive to the airport
the nausea was either absent or very mild. After a dozen lessons I had no problems even without the ginger. Ginger is a medically proven Class B treatment for nausea.

Okay, so I really fancy a set of the Goggles to use with my Mavic Pro but have tried VR headsets in the past and they make me feel sick. Does anyone with experience of the goggles think that they are likely to have the same effect?

Ideal situation would be to try a set first but don't think there are many other DJI flyers near me ...............
How do we know if we are near you, I have both at the time and would let you try one but not knowing where you are?

How do we know if we are near you, I have both at the time and would let you try one but not knowing where you are?

Haha, good point! Did it not used to show your location in the user info on the left? Maybe I'm mistaken.

Anyway, I'm in Stoke on Trent, England.

Yup, I Always Sit Down When Possible, I Have A Small Tri Leg Chair I Use. At The Park, Home, Locations. Stand Up Only When I Have No Choice. FPV Much Better Control Sittings Down, My 2 Cents...

Reactions: macker and Thomas B
I didn't expect to hear such good reviews, having seen so many mediocre ones on you tube. Maybe I saw the wrong ones. Does anyone know a GOOD video on youtube concerning the DJI goggles?

Another thing I've haven't seen on YouTube is much talk of how well they fit over spectacles for those of us who are essentially forced to wear them, or get a driver since my eyes stink. Now both glasses and eyes are doing well and gratefully hanging in there pretty good. Attached is the style i wear. It really be awesome if someone has first hand experience the glasses and the goggles

Well this is getting aggrivating tyring to download in one format, then convert to some .JFIF file that this Forum doesn't work with. But basically youve seen glasses right? Well thats exactly what they loook like, kind of the more rectangular form with thin frame.

I didn't expect to hear such good reviews, having seen so many mediocre ones on you tube. Maybe I saw the wrong ones. Does anyone know a GOOD video on youtube concerning the DJI goggles?

Another thing I've haven't seen on YouTube is much talk of how well they fit over spectacles for those of us who are essentially forced to wear them, or get a driver since my eyes stink. Now both glasses and eyes are doing well and gratefully hanging in there pretty good. Attached is the style i wear. It really be awesome if someone has first hand experience the glasses and the goggles

Well this is getting aggrivating tyring to download in one format, then convert to some .JFIF file that this Forum doesn't work with. But basically youve seen glasses right? Well thats exactly what they loook like, kind of the more rectangular form with thin frame.

Tim, I haven’t seen many YouTube vids I got much out of about my RE goggles, they’re pretty easy to get around the menus and learn.
The swipe panel touch pad is very cool.
With an occusync drone like my M1P, it just connects automatically once paired initially, and I can fly with normal device (ipad mini 4) and someone else can stand nearby watching the fpv vision on the REs.

Today I hooked up the Spark for the first time.
Cable from goggles to controller, so with only the goggles for view.
Takes a bit of getting used to.
But as it was windy very was good for a little safe flight practice near ground level in tripod mode.

You won’t have any trouble wearing your reading glasses.
Many people though find it better viewing with some simple magnifying specs, say 2.5 x to 3.0 x.

I think you sold me. I have a Spark and M2Zoom, I think the two axis gimbal might be an advantage since when your turn you tilt or roll as well, like a real plane. I checked out google and first thing that came up was apparently their racing system thats not compatible with any "normal" DJI drone. In there refurbished store they have a white set for $279: Buy DJI Goggles (Refurbished Unit) - DJI Store

Is this the type you're talking about?

No worries Tim.
Either the white original goggles or the later black RE racing edition are perfect for any of the compatible DJI aircraft.
(They look exactly the same with the RE Edition having some antenna sockets for other frequencies.)
The RE has slightly less latency but the whites are just a little delayed and probably not really noticeable to the human eye anyway.
The RE goggles can also be used for other aircraft like the FPV racing drones, hence the name.
If you will only fly the DJI products the white ones you linked to would be a decent value deal, if best pricing you find.
The RE are about AUD$750 here, somewhere around US$518, so might even be worth the approx extra US$240, depends on budget etc.
I’m guessing the RE are slightly less in your market too, do you know what they are in US$ ?

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000