DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Quickest way to descend?

Youser

Reactions
Which is the quickest way to descend?

In sport mode?

Does holding the throttle down all the way turn off the motors? Or is that only when it can sense that it's already on the floor?

I've read about VRS (Vortex Ring State) when talking about other drones, does this also affect the mavic?

Does holding the throttle down all the way turn off the motors?
No. The motors will only turn off after your Mavic has landed.

I've read about VRS (Vortex Ring State) when talking about other drones, does this also affect the mavic?
You'll be fine as long as you're using OEM DJI props.

Thanks guys.

What about sport mode? Does that make it quicker?

Haven't had the time or space to use sport mode yet.

Both sticks Down and in or down and out will shut the motors down. Yeah I would fall out of the sky

Quickest way down is to shut the motors off using the CSC emergency motor cutoff method. That said your rolling the dice on whether you can get the motors started back up and flying again. It's possible and has been done but is not advisable and would be hard on the gimbal.

Next quickest way is to do parameter mods to alter the descent rates. I've done this and i've modified the regular P-mode to be a little faster than what it's set to as stock but still smooth from a filming standpoint. My sport and atti mode switch position are set to come down quite a bit faster. If coming down straight you will get quite a bit of wobble and could potentially get into VRS but coming from 3D helis i've always known how to avoid VRS even at super high descent rates.

The regular stock sport mode is the quickest way to get down and is slightly faster than the regular P-mode. No worries about VRS in any of the stock configs.

To go the quickest any particular mode will allow just hold the left stick full down. Don't worry it won't shut down the motors. The Mavic will only shut down the motors after 3 seconds full down on the left stick if it senses that there is no downward movement happening.

On my recent drone course the recommendation was downward spirals (also a great NIN album!) or sideways and down at the same time. Apparently the reason the Mavic has a slow descent rate is a deliberate feature by DJI to avoid creating air vortices under the drone that could cause it to stall and fall.

Thanks guys.

What about sport mode? Does that make it quicker?

Haven't had the time or space to use sport mode yet.

As per the instruction manual (you should probably read it) descent speed in sport mode is identical to p-gps.

All you need is just a movement either forward,side,backwards just about a foot or so say to keep the AC "in clean air", and it will reduce the little wobble you see when doing a "quick descend".

On my recent drone course the recommendation was downward spirals (also a great NIN album!) or sideways and down at the same time. Apparently the reason the Mavic has a slow descent rate is a deliberate feature by DJI to avoid creating air vortices under the drone that could cause it to stall and fall.
i descend at 10m/s no problems
the power to weight ratio of the mavic is fantastic!

can't say
Its one of those, if you know you know, if you don't you don't
Alot of people here know
They also know you don't really go above -10

Reactions: BigEegit
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member