DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Quickly Align the Aircraft with Controller

kashifs

Reactions
Is there a way to quickly align your aircraft with the controller, looking either straight forward or towards the controller? I wonder if DJI Fly App could provide a programmable button action for this purpose, just like quickly centering the Gimble.

Hello Kashif:

If I want my drone to point directly at the controller I use the attitude indicator to rotate the drone until the controller is at the top of the “circle”. If I want the drone to point directly away from the controller (or have the same view as the controller) I use the attitude indicator to rotate the drone until the controller is at the bottom of the “circle.”

Howard

Reactions: DJayI
Hello Kashif:

If I want my drone to point directly at the controller I use the attitude indicator to rotate the drone until the controller is at the top of the “circle”. If I want the drone to point directly away from the controller (or have the same view as the controller) I use the attitude indicator to rotate the drone until the controller is at the bottom of the “circle.”

Howard
Thanks Howard. This definitely works. But don't you agree that an App function to perform this action would be a better and quicker way to achieve this? I was flying low this morning by the beach; within 100ft during a take. There were crows who felt somehow offended and tried to hit my bird. The drone was pointing to the left or right. I tried to move it towards me (facing the controller) while moving it forward or backward at the same time. I wished if the left controller button were able to align it in a flash and I would just pull it back straight without losing a moment.

Just push the right stick forward, and watch which way your drone moves. If it moves to the left, push the yaw stick to the left; if it moves to the right, push the yaw stick right. Yaw it until the drone doesn't appear to go either right or left. This works even if the drone is so far away from you that you can't see its orientation.

If it happens to be appearing to stay still and you're not sure whether it's pointing toward you or away from you, just yaw it a bit and follow the above instructions.

I wouldn't want a separate button or function to do this. My hands are always on the sticks, and I'm much more familiar with the way the sticks work than I would be digging through menus in the app, or finding a seldom-used button.

But there's already a "RTH" button anyway.

Reactions: natgild and kashifs
Just push the right stick forward, and watch which way your drone moves. If it moves to the left, push the yaw stick to the left; if it moves to the right, push the yaw stick right. Yaw it until the drone doesn't appear to go either right or left. This works even if the drone is so far away from you that you can't see its orientation.

If it happens to be appearing to stay still and you're not sure whether it's pointing toward you or away from you, just yaw it a bit and follow the above instructions.

I wouldn't want a separate button or function to do this. My hands are always on the sticks, and I'm much more familiar with the way the sticks work than I would be digging through menus in the app, or finding a seldom-used button.

But there's already a "RTH" button anyway.
Thanks for your reply. I am actually not suggesting a seldom-used button somewhere inside the App but an option which could be called through the programmable option button on top left of the RC.

. The drone was pointing to the left or right. I tried to move it towards me (facing the controller) while moving it forward or backward at the same time. I wished if the left controller button were able to align it in a flash and I would just pull it back straight without losing a moment.

Interesting you stated "I tried to move it towards me". Got me remembering. Had to use a memory pill. LOL.

DJI has this function in the DJI Go App when i first got my Phantom 3 Advanced (2015), which I still use. It is one of the Intelligent Flight Mode functions called Home Lock. All you had to do was activate the mode, pull the pitch stick backwards and it would fly straight back to the Home Point. I don't think it exists in the DJI Go 4, or the Fly app. Or it may be called something else now. See attached doc from the Phantom 3 Advanced User Manual.

Happy and Safe Flying
Inno
int flt modes.PNG

Interesting you stated "I tried to move it towards me". Got me remembering. Had to use a memory pill. LOL.

DJI has this function in the DJI Go App when i first got my Phantom 3 Advanced (2015), which I still use. It is one of the Intelligent Flight Mode functions called Home Lock. All you had to do was activate the mode, pull the pitch stick backwards and it would fly straight back to the Home Point. I don't think it exists in the DJI Go 4, or the Fly app. Or it may be called something else now. See attached doc from the Phantom 3 Advanced User Manual.

Happy and Safe Flying
Inno
View attachment 128016
Thanks Inno. Yes Home Lock is another way to achieve the same. There is no such function available in DJI Fly App.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman