DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini RAF Greenham Common - USAF, RAF, Star Wars & Nukes... Sounds Perfect To Fly!

thefrisbee995

Reactions
So I was browsing the Phantom pilots forum and came across "RAF Greenham Common" which is now abandoned and good to fly and happened to be near where I was staying for work. Turns out really good to fly. It also has an interesting history of being a joint airforce base (US/UK) and used to house nuclear weapons up until the cold war! Site of many protests and they even filmed one of the Star Wars movies as well as one of the Fast & Furious movies there.

Anyway, here's some of the video from that flight, be sure to drop and like and check the description if you want to learn more on its history ?

I live in Basingstoke, and had never thought of Greenham Common. It’s now on the list!

I live in Basingstoke, and had never thought of Greenham Common. It’s now on the list!
I know, right! Great place to fly, just make sure you keep that distance from the cattle and others. Site's massive so it's easy to avoid them :)

Reactions: CJG
All, please note that drones are not allowed to be flown over Greenham Common between March and August each year due to it being a nature reserve with protected ground-nesting bird species.

So I was browsing the Phantom pilots forum and came across "RAF Greenham Common" which is now abandoned and good to fly and happened to be near where I was staying for work. Turns out really good to fly. It also has an interesting history of being a joint airforce base (US/UK) and used to house nuclear weapons up until the cold war! Site of many protests and they even filmed one of the Star Wars movies as well as one of the Fast & Furious movies there.

Anyway, here's some of the video from that flight, be sure to drop and like and check the description if you want to learn more on its history ?

Very cool! It's hard to even tell anymore what that area was previously used for. A lot of history there. I'm sure from ground level one wouldn't even be able to tell it was a previous air base. So cool how you see people and cattle/cows walking around the area. Really enjoyed this video.

I was stationed there from '67 to '71 - strange to see the concrete runways gone! We mainly just used the base for its barracks (and worked at another nearby base, RAF Welford)....no aircraft. I used to ride horses from a nearby stable on trails around the base (as well as on the track at Newbury Racecourse!). So what's with all the vehicles parked over where the base-proper used to be? Oh, and nice shots too!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flyingthe405