DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rainbow for DJI Mavic Mini

RedWaypoint APP is capable to do Waypoints Missions using the Mavic Mini. But Orbit Missions and Follow Missions are not supported with Mavic Mini.

Reactions: m80116
You haven't tested... Because RedWaypoint APP does not upload Waypoints, it uses virtualstick commands
Sorry, I was confused by the comment about Red Waypoint in this thread which is about Rainbow, which is what I tested and which didn't work. Apologies. I did finally figure out how to set a POI, but I haven't retested Red Waypoint because it's too windy today -- tomorrow looks better.

Sorry, I was confused by the comment about Red Waypoint in this thread which is about Rainbow, which is what I tested and which didn't work. Apologies. I did finally figure out how to set a POI, but I haven't retested Red Waypoint because it's too windy today -- tomorrow looks better.
Cool! Would be nice to hearing a feedback from you

I bought an MM today, seeing that Rainbow was now offering support for it. I only have a 32-bit Android phone, so I can't install the DJI Fly app. The Rainbow app recognizes my drone and I can tilt the gimbal, but I can't get it to take off.

I am a little confused by the activation process: when I set it up the first time, I can to create a DJI account, but I am guessing I also have to activate the drone itself? Do I need the DJI Fly app for that?

Yes you need the DJI Fly app to activate the drone.

Rainbow can NOT replace the DJI Fly & DJO GO(4) app !
It simply lacks some importent featerus like Compas, IMU, RC & Gimbal calibration, unlocking GEO zones, Find My Drone, Emergency Propeller Stop, Payload mode, Flight Mode, Advanced Gimbal Settings, Advanced Shooting Settings, Transmission Settings and Firmware updates.

I was able to activate the drone on a relative's iPhone X, then run Rainbow on my 32-bit Samsung phone and fly the drone. I could see the camera feed in the Rainbow app on my Samsung, so that is encouraging.

I tried again later at my own home using my 32-bit Samsung and Rainbow app, and the app said "Electromagnetic Interference" so I will try again tomorrow.

Has anyone else been able to run Rainbow on a 32-bit device?

I have been looking at the Red Waypoint app.
It's a more mature app than Rainbow, it has a decent web-page with an online user manual, a FAQ page, a What's new page, a Features page and a CONTACT page.
At this time they are testing the app on a DJI CrystalSky monitor and are considering to include Compas calibration.

Rainbow has just released v4.7: 'Fixed Mavic Mini Waypoint support'

Today (2020-08-06) I installed the new Litchi Beta app v4.18.0_beta-g which now has support for the Mavic Mini. It shouldn't take long for the definite version to be released.
Litchi runs on 32bit devices and CAN replace the DJI Fly app !
However: Waypoint, Orbit, Follow Me(GPS-based) and (Active)Track are NOT supported for the Mavic Mini, DJI did not unlock these features in the SDK.

I will do some testing soon.

Last edited:
I was able to activate the drone on a relative's iPhone X, then run Rainbow on my 32-bit Samsung phone and fly the drone. I could see the camera feed in the Rainbow app on my Samsung, so that is encouraging.

I tried again later at my own home using my 32-bit Samsung and Rainbow app, and the app said "Electromagnetic Interference" so I will try again tomorrow.

Has anyone else been able to run Rainbow on a 32-bit device?
"Electromagnetic Interference" can cause permanent compass abnormalities making a compass calibration needed.
Compass abnormalities/(electro)magnetic interference is one of the most common causes for Fly-aways!

I did some testing today with the MAVIC MINI.

Rainbow totally failed:
Rainbow needs internet access during operation AND the free version does NOT fly waypoints.
I DO NOT RECOMMENT BUYING THIS APP !

RedWaypoint did OK.
It has a lot more features than Rainbow.
I was able to fly a mission with 3 simple waypoints, however the free version ignored any POI and you have to launch the drone manually before executing a mission.

That's all I tested for these 2 apps.
More info on RedWaypoint: Red Waypoint APP

Then I tested the new Litchi v4.18.0_BETA-g
As expected WayPoints, Orbit and Track did not work.
Follow and Focus DID work and very good.
In Folow-mode you can set:
Drone Altitude, Distance, Heading (free to choose from a compass, or free to choose relative to the Devices), Subject height, Subject Offset (if you don't want it to be in the middle of the frame), Altitude reference (Power-on elevation or Mobile device elevation), RC joystick dis-enabled, Horizontal movement dis-enabled.
In Focus-mode you can set:
Subject (Mobile Device or POI), Subject Height, Aircraft Rotation (Auto or Off), Joystick Reference (Default/Aircarft/Mobile Device Orientation) and Yoystick Speed Limiter in %.
These 2 modes depend on a good GPS-fix of the Mobile device !
Litchi Follow Settings.jpg

Last edited:
Is there someone who used Rainbow app could confirm its functions after last updates?

I liked the screen layout and the fact that hight appear on top of each waypoint. And the Curve size option for each waypoint might make the video smoother ( I guess ) . I used it once (free version) and my mistake that I didnt play with the options before excuting the mission. Red waypoint seems similar but I liked the layout of Rainbow app. Rainbow developer confirm that it support orbit, waypoint , follow me but doesnt support tracking object. While Red wayppint says that Orbit, FollowMe & ActiveTrack are not compatible with Mavic Mini

If it gets a little bit more mature I could be buying RedWaypoint, Litchi is out of question for the price, Rainbow uses a subscription model that I completely abhor even if it was working, I wouldn't be buying that on principle alone.

• Sad
Reactions: xi-elf
Hi All. Will I have to log in to use the paid version? I intend to use Rainbow on a dedicated device that will not have networking access. Does using the app without an account limit any functionality?

For manual control, Rainbow does what I need. I just need more than 3 flights form the free version. Is just installing the paid version sufficient, or must I log into it?

Last edited:
I attempted to test Rainbow this morning. It was able to load the mission I created last night, but when I attempted to run it, I got "loadWaypoint Failed" error message. I deleted all the waypoints and created new ones, but I got the same error. Next I attempted to test the Orbit function. The Mini lifted off the ground 2 meters, sat there for several seconds, then I got an error something like "Execute failed to execute the command."

So, at least on my Galaxy S8+, Rainbow does not support the Mini.
I have the Galaxy S8 and Rainbow runs fine with my Mavic Mini.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun