DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rainbow for DJI Mavic Mini

Oooook, but same question
How does handle the FCC hack you can do with FakeGPS?

The panos don't seem to be HDR (bracketing) from the app's screenshots, but the Hyperlapse feature is a very sensible function for my sore thumbs. Done that before.

Seems like working ok. Don't know what the limitation is yet. (Compared to the paid vers.) Took photoa and records video. Didn't try waypoints and tracking yet.
9ea8696fc03ea9e8a8060c2ca8900df6.jpg

Last edited:
Seems like working ok. Don't know what the limitation is yet. (Compared to the paid vers.) Took photoa and records video. Didn't try waypoints and tracking yet.
9ea8696fc03ea9e8a8060c2ca8900df6.jpg

It says here on google play: " Rainbow has subscription plan, you can use it 1 time for free, after that you can subscribe rainbow for future usage."

Reactions: TheFunker
It says here on google play: " Rainbow has subscription plan, you can use it 1 time for free, after that you can subscribe rainbow for future usage."

I used it once but could not make it as I was getting strange errors
I tried again a second time seemed not to have the errors this time but when I tried to execute a mission I was stopped being asked for a subscription plan....

Won’t do it without proof, sorry

Reactions: TheFunker
I can't find any documentation or tutorials for this app, but I downloaded it anyway. First thing I find is that you need to be connected to the drone to create a mission. I'm sorry, but that's just stupid. But I did, and then I didn't see any way to save and reload a mission, so perhaps that's why you have to be connected -- create and run immediately is all you can do? Perhaps some documentation could clear up my confusion, but not finding any is strike three. Anyway, the waypoint system is far more limited than Dronelink, which is okay if it's free, but I wouldn't pay $14.95 for it.

I can't find any documentation or tutorials for this app, but I downloaded it anyway. First thing I find is that you need to be connected to the drone to create a mission. I'm sorry, but that's just stupid. But I did, and then I didn't see any way to save and reload a mission, so perhaps that's why you have to be connected -- create and run immediately is all you can do? Perhaps some documentation could clear up my confusion, but not finding any is strike three. Anyway, the waypoint system is far more limited than Dronelink, which is okay if it's free, but I wouldn't pay $14.95 for it.
Thank you for your review. True, i haven't seen any documentation or official website for it unlike all the other apps. It would be nice for them to step up their game if they want to be on the map like Litchi, DL and some others.

Waypoint editing is possible even without connecting the Mavic mini. You can save it with the floppy disk icon at the top right of the map screen. You can also move between devices by copying the files in the hidden folder [.rainbow] to a smartphone using a cloud drive after editing on a large screen tablet that is not connected to a Mavic mini device.
Anyway, I also didn't find any manuals, but I found this video on YouTube.

Reactions: RogerDH
Waypoint editing is possible even without connecting the Mavic mini. You can save it with the floppy disk icon at the top right of the map screen. You can also move between devices by copying the files in the hidden folder [.rainbow] to a smartphone using a cloud drive after editing on a large screen tablet that is not connected to a Mavic mini device.
Anyway, I also didn't find any manuals, but I found this video on YouTube.

Thanks for that. I was a bit hasty. When you run, it presents a Connect Drone button, but you can tap it and get into the app without connecting, and you can indeed create, save, and load waypoints. So, with that ability covered, my major concern is addressed, and I suppose it's worth a field test tomorrow. If it can do point-of-interest tracking smoother than Dronelink, it will be useful.

for some reason I could not connect my phone to the drone...

On the first screen it would say it is connected to the drone, and when I click "Fly Drone" it will bring me to the control page with the map on it. But, in the upper left corner it says its not connected, and in no way I can fly the drone.

I tried to figure it out for almost half an hour with no success.

However, what were interesting were the follow me, waypoints, orbit, and the photo can be in tiff or RAW. But still, I was not able to try it out so I cannot confirmed if it really works.

for some reason I could not connect my phone to the drone...

On the first screen it would say it is connected to the drone, and when I click "Fly Drone" it will bring me to the control page with the map on it. But, in the upper left corner it says its not connected, and in no way I can fly the drone.

I tried to figure it out for almost half an hour with no success.

However, what were interesting were the follow me, waypoints, orbit, and the photo can be in tiff or RAW. But still, I was not able to try it out so I cannot confirmed if it really works.
Waiting for your actual review, thanks for letting us know. However I don't think RAW is available for the mini.

I attempted to test Rainbow this morning. It was able to load the mission I created last night, but when I attempted to run it, I got "loadWaypoint Failed" error message. I deleted all the waypoints and created new ones, but I got the same error. Next I attempted to test the Orbit function. The Mini lifted off the ground 2 meters, sat there for several seconds, then I got an error something like "Execute failed to execute the command."

So, at least on my Galaxy S8+, Rainbow does not support the Mini.

Does anyone know if Rainbow includes a reliable Follow Me mode? And, will it be available for iOS soon? I could not find it in the App Store.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Rainbow includes a reliable Follow Me mode? And, will it be available for iOS soon? I could not find it in the App Store.
Thanks!

In my case, the follow me function didn't work. Other people also say that this app has few functions that work properly.

I did some testing with the free verion (4.6) of the Rainbow-app installed on a Samsung Galaxy S9plus with the Mavic Mini (MM).

Free version 4.6 (with in-app €16/yr VIP membership purchase):

Paid version 3.4 (€16)

Waypoints:
As expected Waypoints does NOT work on the MM because of hardware/software limitations by DJI.
As a result of this, Hyperlapse (which uses waypoints) also does NOT work.
Also Waypoint functionality is very limited compared to Litchi.

In the description Rainbow refers to 2 youtube videos:
Waypoint management:
Flying a mission:
This makes no sense at all !
These videos are made for the DJI Ultimate Flight v3 app which is last updated in september 2019.

In FPV-mode (manual flying) there are 3 usefull buttons on the left hand side of the screen: Course-lock, Home-lock & Tripod mode. NONE of these work for the MM.

ALSO do NOT expect to be able to shoot RAW images and 4K video with the MM because DJI simply does not allow it in the SDK.
ORBIT is another mode NOT supported by the DJI SDK.

GENERAL:
The interface looks a lot like Litchi.
The screen-buttons however on the S9plus are way too small.
The app is designed to work for Phantoms, Mavics, Spark & Inspire, however the DJI SDK's for these different drones do NOT unlock the same features for every drone. The Rainbow app however does NOT take this in consideration. (The 3 buttons mentioned above and Waypoint-mode should NOT be displayed when connected to the MM).
There is a weird item in Voice-setting: "Electric Quantity Alarm Valve Value(%)", also some onscreen information (popups) seem to be computer translations from chinese to english which are confusing.
The Rainbow app should at least have the ability to calibrate the drone-compass (it does NOT).
Compared to Litchi, Rainbow is a very immature app. By that I mean it can NOT replace the DJI Fly app. Litchi however CAN replace the DJI GO(4) app.
I don't know what extra funcionality the €16/yr VIP-membership brings or the difference between the free and paid version.

So, Crystal Sky & none-64bit-device users just have to wait for this app to become mature and/or wait for the Litchi-app update.

Litchi is €25 only once for 1 device/account/OS.
Rainbow is €16 per year ! (and Android only)

Litchi is available for:
-iOS in the Apple AppStore
-Android in PlayStore
-CrystalSky/Smart Controler/P4+ Screen on Amazon
-Epson Moverio BT300 in the Epson AppsMarket

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members