DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Raleigh Area Flight Locations

So just got my drone and new to this whole thing, but i am so confused about where it is legal and not legal to fly. I see a lot of people showing videos of Falls Lake, but I thought it was illegal to fly in NC State Parks?
It is illegal to fly in NC State Parks if you don't have authorization or a waiver from the Park Superintendent. The lake however is not State Park property, only the land. The lake is managed by the Army Corps of Engineers manage the lake itself. I have flown at both Falls and Jordan lake, all I did was ask permission from the ACE and give them a flight plan. They were really nice about it and they tell you where you can't fly there (around vital infrastructure mainly the Dam). The key though is you must launch, operate and land from the water. Everything around the water is State Park lands.

New Mavic 2 Pro owner here in city of Raleigh. Not a lot of activity on this forum for Raleigh folks. Hope to see more. Maybe find some fellow pilots to do some group outings around Wake county. I live in Raleigh near North Hills. Pic taken from above my house looking down Six Forks. Still learning and getting comfortable with my drone but love it so far.

Attachments

• IMG_5091.JPG
    IMG_5091.JPG
    7.6 MB · Views: 25
It is illegal to fly in NC State Parks if you don't have authorization or a waiver from the Park Superintendent. The lake however is not State Park property, only the land. The lake is managed by the Army Corps of Engineers manage the lake itself. I have flown at both Falls and Jordan lake, all I did was ask permission from the ACE and give them a flight plan. They were really nice about it and they tell you where you can't fly there (around vital infrastructure mainly the Dam). The key though is you must launch, operate and land from the water. Everything around the water is State Park lands.
I looked at the map around Falls and State Park land is outlined but not 100% of the waterfront land is park land I beleive. Of course if it's not park land it's private. Good to know the rangers are acceptable to flying with a proper request. I'll will go back and see if I can find the map I referenced.

Ed Ricker flies out of the Raleigh area I think. He has the best You Tubes for the Mavic 2 series and will surely give you some location tips. He's got over 100k subscribers.

Reactions: Rpeeps
I looked at the map around Falls and State Park land is outlined but not 100% of the waterfront land is park land I beleive. Of course if it's not park land it's private. Good to know the rangers are acceptable to flying with a proper request. I'll will go back and see if I can find the map I referenced.

Almost all of Falls Lake is permit only flying.
The small area in green at Blue Jay Point is the only area not.

falls lake map.jpg

Reactions: MrsTreat
Hello All. I live in Raleigh and am new to the drone world. I have read and researched all of the information I can on do's and don'ts. It kills me that there is no definitely "rules" to abide by (other than line of site, 400ft, national/state parks). I'm creating this thread in hopes others will chime in, locally, with info. Flight locations and things they've learned, others may not know. I want to be legal and want to make sure I'm abiding by the rules. This is a difficult thing to do with decent scenery considering most places to fly are public. National parks, state parks, airports, helipads. It's just crazy.
Watch for class C airspace for RDU Airport. Also 150 feet AGL MAX Altitude at runway approach and departure points when your not in CLass C airspace.

Hey everyone! I'm new to Raleigh.. I fly a MA2. I've been to Lake Johnson, Lake Wheeler, Bond Park, Bass Lake, Neuse River and a couple of other spots so far. If anyone in the area would like to get together and fly, I'm always down. Here's a shot of downtown I got from my hotel last week.Downtown_Cropped.jpg

Hey everyone! I'm new to Raleigh.. I fly a MA2. I've been to Lake Johnson, Lake Wheeler, Bond Park, Bass Lake, Neuse River and a couple of other spots so far. If anyone in the area would like to get together and fly, I'm always down. Here's a shot of downtown I got from my hotel last week.View attachment 104119
Hey, Nice shot. I just purchased my first drone, its HS720E and I found this forum. I flew in Hollysprings, but like to venture in different area. Please share some good spots. Its winter, so whenever weather and work permits me, I am in it.
Thanks.

Daniel Boone Village in Hillsborough is a large deserted tract of land with abandoned stores. I have flown in there.
Tons of interesting buildings to fly over and in front of. No signs of interfering life forms.

DB Village link
Hey thanks, I live in Fuquay-Varina, so that will be quite a distance to drive but for a change I will keep that in mind. Appreciate you for information.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys