DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Range and signal strength of the mavic compared to the P4

Opfor

Reactions
I moved over to the mavic platinum after flying the p4 for two years and was hoping the signal would at least be as good but possibly even better. Have done one initial flight so far and just from it I seem to have come up short as compared to the P4. On both I flew using the parabolic dishes. I'm curious to know from others that made the switch how your distance and signal strength is compared to the days you flew the P4.

I love the portability of it and how much quieter is is....much quieter in my opinion. I'm very concerned that I've possibly lost some of my range which is really one I did not want to loose.

Try it w/o the antenna boosters. I also have a fleet of DJI birds, and the MP goes way beyond the limits of my P4. Your portability or the MP are not the reasons why you would LOSE your distance. I have flown both side by side to check the distance, and the MP goes another 1/2 to 3/4 miles farther each time.
Try both in stock configuration and report back [emoji6]

Reactions: Opfor
Well this is very encouraging to hear. I sold the P4 in order to afford this one, lol but I know the boundaries from flying them so many times. I could easily fly across the lake with the P4 and just on the one flight to the lake today (not crossing) I noticed my signal dropping followed by my video.

Thanks for the info on this, will give it another go.

What is your max speed on the MP? Believe I saw 36 on this one today.

Interesting....I thought that just by me flying in S mode it pretty much turned off the sensors? Can you give me an idea of what sensors should be off. I always fly with leds off, I know they don't use much battery but I figure every little bit helps.

I have taken my Mavic Pro (in the US) out over the water as far as 2.6 miles with 3 out of 5 bars of signal. I usually fly at 400 feet have more signal than that, but I wanted to stay at 50 to 100 ft altitude. At that point it was time to return home due to battery.

Last edited:
The most I ever managed to do with the P4 was just over 4 miles. Was up high on mtn with no obstacles. Only returned then due to battery. I'm a bit addicted to distance and just hoping to hear and see that the PM has as much or more capability.

What app are you guys flying with...DJI go 4? I really wish I could get the litchi back up on this one, really enjoyed it on the P4.

Interesting....I thought that just by me flying in S mode it pretty much turned off the sensors? Can you give me an idea of what sensors should be off. I always fly with leds off, I know they don't use much battery but I figure every little bit helps.

I was meaning in non sport mode you can go a little faster (slower than sport) by turning off obstacle avoidance sensors.
I’m sure I’m not covering all the tips, just ones I’ve used for myself.
I have the Litchi app also, but I haven’t used it for the MP yet. People that use it swear by it.

Yes I have grown to love it also but have had some issues getting it to work with the mavic.....think I may have finally worked it out. I use it along with a shield tablet since it has an HDMI output, allows me to wear goggles...the only way to fly for me...no more glare and issues with the sun....front row seat.

Try it w/o the antenna boosters. I also have a fleet of DJI birds, and the MP goes way beyond the limits of my P4. Your portability or the MP are not the reasons why you would LOSE your distance. I have flown both side by side to check the distance, and the MP goes another 1/2 to 3/4 miles farther each time.
Try both in stock configuration and report back [emoji6]

I am trying the antenna directional device from SUNNY in USA. Advertised YouTube.
I flew about 200 yards away and rotated the controller in the opposite direction. I moved the controller around. No difference in signal.
I removed the antenna, no difference in signal.
A scam I think.

Alan UK

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
europeanomad