DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Range boosters

Howcroft22

Reactions
F353F4E8-1111-48F9-A568-F217AB0C046E.jpeg I know there are a bunch of different ones out there. But I don’t want to do any modifications to the controller. Are any of the slip on ones even worth it? Or are they a gimmick? I’m not looking to go further than the 4 mile advertised range. I’m looking for a better signal. Better penetration through trees. I usually don’t even get a mile because of the trees that are around. I’ve been flying over frozen lakes and are usually get maybe a mile if I’m lucky. I was on one side of a frozen pond this morning and do across it and kept going a little bit and started music range signal at just under a mile. I’d like to get a mile or two and I would be very happy. Yes I realize I was a few feet over the 400 range in the image, but not much. I usually keep mine around 150 or 200 feet. I don’t fly over the max altitude. but I was starting to lose signal and did not want to see the drone so I brought it up to around 410 feet to get it back. Also it was not really 400 feet. The ground was higher than where I took off from.

I too have some of the same problems you list here. I have lots of trees and do not get good signal "penetration", so my range is limited too.

I'm interested in the answer to your questions . . . . .

Trey

I too have some of the same problems you list here. I have lots of trees and do not get good signal "penetration", so my range is limited too.

I'm interested in the answer to your questions . . . . .

Trey

I’m seeing mostly mixed reviews here. Complete opposite some people saying it really helps some people saying either does nothing or makes the signal worse In someways because it concentrates it all to one direction instead of letting it spread out. I don’t want to spend another $300 getting my controller modified just to get a better signal.

Hey all, I'm new here, but I did two identical flights in the last month, the second using my homemade range extender.

The flight was only a mile, but the first time it struggled greatly with treetops. Second flight with the parabolic pop cans worked amazingly.

Finally, its incredibly worth noting that this is an extremely directional gig--so keep it pointed right at the Mavic the entire flight.

I borrowed it from a YouTube video, but here's the gist:
- Soda can
- cardboard
- glue gun
- rubber band
- exacto knife
1835bd69056f35767e81af5df4c9c36a.jpg
829afe937eca3120af02775c972cb872.jpg
470fe1d906d33011e37e30345701eee6.jpg

Hey all, I'm new here, but I did two identical flights in the last month, the second using my homemade range extender.

The flight was only a mile, but the first time it struggled greatly with treetops. Second flight with the parabolic pop cans worked amazingly.

Finally, its incredibly worth noting that this is an extremely directional gig--so keep it pointed right at the Mavic the entire flight.

I borrowed it from a YouTube video, but here's the gist:
- Soda can
- cardboard
- glue gun
- rubber band
- exacto knife
1835bd69056f35767e81af5df4c9c36a.jpg
829afe937eca3120af02775c972cb872.jpg
470fe1d906d33011e37e30345701eee6.jpg

LOL. The cheap ones only cost around 5 bucks!

Reactions: Howcroft22
My personal best was 2 miles. Thought I'd try the same flight again in similar conditions with one of the cheap boosters. Think I only got to around 1.4 miles with it.

Theres a video on YouTube of a guy claiming to have the world record for distance and he had the cheap one on. Don't know if it helped his flight or not though.

My personal best was 2 miles. Thought I'd try the same flight again in similar conditions with one of the cheap boosters. Think I only got to around 1.4 miles with it.

Theres a video on YouTube of a guy claiming to have the world record for distance and he had the cheap one on. Don't know if it helped his flight or not though.

I doubt he has the record. It’s physically Impossible he’s going more than the guys on here with the $300 maxx mod and 3 batteries strapped to the drone. Maybe he means the record for range without modding the controller. But range is very relative to where you are flying.

Reactions: Detroit
I doubt he has the record. It’s physically Impossible he’s going more than the guys on here with the $300 maxx mod and 3 batteries strapped to the drone. Maybe he means the record for range without modding the controller. But range is very relative to where you are flying.

Yes it was range without any mods. Just the cheap booster. He might've got further without it lol.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LMcVetty