DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Range Boosters

Found one!

Just ordered one to test it out. Definitely no alientech but curious to see if there are even minimal gains
interesting find. Out of curiousity, how long does it take for you to receive something from Aliexpress?

Over the years for me it start from 20 odd days to 60 recently (although some of it must be due to Covid) but its hardly ever less than 30 in recent 1 year, and sometimes parcels just go to a black hole (I do manage to get refunded).

Hi mate. Can you post soon as you have tested these out as I would be interested in something like this cheers

Not a problem, I paid for expedited shipping that costs twice as much as the actual product LOL I'll post feedback to see if it's worth it. I'm not expecting anything night and day but even 15% gain is worth 9$

Reactions: GadgetGuy
interesting find. Out of curiousity, how long does it take for you to receive something from Aliexpress?

Over the years for me it start from 20 odd days to 60 recently (although some of it must be due to Covid) but its hardly ever less than 30 in recent 1 year, and sometimes parcels just go to a black hole (I do manage to get refunded).

With the "premium" shipping it's around a week, ten days tops. A lot of items claim they have stock in the US, most are lying.

However, in my line of work. we get stuff in 2-3 days from China to the East Coast, B2C is not quite there yet

Not a problem, I paid for expedited shipping that costs twice as much as the actual product LOL I'll post feedback to see if it's worth it. I'm not expecting anything night and day but even 15% gain is worth 9$
18 days vs. 31 days for $16 more. You'll definitely get yours first! I can wait another 13 days for any potential gain. Eager to hear your test results in the mean time!

It does not state the frequency that the elements are tuned for, which I assume should be 5.8G based on the length of the elements (Short for 5.8G, longer for 2.4G)

Can you check the directivity of the antennas? I mean, how hard is it to point the beam at the drone, and how easy it is to lose signal with small deviations.

Someone has made a test. Looks like improved for sure.

Eh I dunno if I trust it, I hope to have it within a week to ten days I’ll def post back. It’s no alientech but at 1/30th the price it’ll do!!

I’m waiting for more variants or clones :)

But the video is from the manufacturer, and I don’t really trust a lot of Chinese companies honestly, I do business with them and some of them are just insanely shady, but their standards have sky rocketed in the past 5 years.

Eh I dunno if I trust it, I hope to have it within a week to ten days I’ll def post back. It’s no alientech but at 1/30th the price it’ll do!!

I’m waiting for more variants or clones :)

But the video is from the manufacturer, and I don’t really trust a lot of Chinese companies honestly, I do business with them and some of them are just insanely shady, but their standards have sky rocketed in the past 5 years.
Good catch, in fact I was watching this on mobile, didn't notice that it was by the maker. I too, have negative faith...

Update:

So I got my booster a few days ago, and my conclusion, yes it does work. However, as I expected, about 10-20% boost. Nothing night and day but it's not completely useless. My frone does fly further on top of the trees of the golf course I live in front of, it is noticeable. There is hospital a bit away from me, usually that's where my signal goes to crap, and I had full bars when I flew near it. I have to test it more but imo it's not a waste of money, you can actually see results. Again, nothing night and day, but it does work. For 9$ USD, it is worth it, but only if you are trying to push your drone just a bit more.

The one thing I noticed is when flying back, the signal is weaker. I can't fully prove this because it does not make any sense, but when the drone rotation is facing me, my signal bars went down 2-3 bars, even worse than without the antenna. I've only taken the drone on two full flights using the antenna, and a couple of times i without just to compare and my conclusion is that it does make a difference.

Nothing to lose if you order this, my advice is get it from the US. You are going to wait over 2 weeks, with expedited shipping from China

Let me know if you have any question about the antenna!

I also got one and have found it to be completely useless

Attachments

• 20200824_132819.jpg
    20200824_132819.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
I also got one and have found it to be completely useless

Yeah barely noticeable for me, but I bought it for a very specific use to fly over these **** trees that have been plaguing me, I can fly a bit further over them now.

I just can't justify paying $300 for the Alientech, but we will see I guess. Just waiting for a clone or alternative to that.

My pal and i tried antenna attachments last week, both yagi style and parabolic style. We were both super sceptical, and expected no difference, but the costs were low and it was a laugh. To set the scene, we fly over a private highland estate, the owner knows, my holiday home is 100 meters from his house and there is no one on the estate. One way in, one way out, and no aircraft (other than jets at 30k feet) over it in a decade to my knowledge. The surrounding estates are super quiet, so longer ranges are not an issue. This sets the background of why and how we fly like we do at this location. Its in the spirit of the rules, altitude is legal, LOS is direct line, but we cannot see the mini or air for sure, though, risk assessed its safe - enough said, i am simply setting the scene.

We have a pond high on the hill, and this is kind of our target, a location we see wildlife and like to get to there. Its 1800 meters from my place, and 220 meters above the take off point. My mm has never made it before, the air has never made it. The pro makes it no bother and the inspire makes it, but loses signal and can be very shakey, its only a matter of time before an issue.

Conditions were fine, calm, slight mist, no midges and basically dry at the base of the hill, some mist above the hill.
We re-set all the drones to 2.4 gh where possible. Struggled to decide which yagi was correct for this and after some you tube videos decided on the correct one and spent the morning doing tests. To our amazement, all the drones managed to get to the pond. Indeed all were able to go further, 2200 meters each, easily and the batterys became the limiting factor and not the signal. It always was in the past. The Yagi ariels worked best on the MM and air, the difference was superb, and they went from fun toys to incredibly useful, particularly the quiet small mini, as in light wind conditions it would be so small and quiet the wildlife / deer would not notice it. The air, with the quiet props would be fine in slightly stronger winds.

The inspires control now has super large parabolic reflectors on them. Both flew to the pond in minutes, with no shakey video, no loss of signal, indeed all was well for the first time. The pond is actually 197 meters above us and we fly at 220 meters when there, so not far above the ground. The smaller drones are effected by wind there, as its a hill top, and take off point is already at considerable height, the inspires were sent to higher altitude, 100 meters above the hill top, and were steady and stable, I expect on a windier day the wind will be an issue, but the inspire and pro's will be able to buck this to an extent, and hopefully they will be able to see the animals without spooking them, so we see natural behaviour.

Anyway, from a a total sceptic i am sold on them, I have ordered yagi's for each drone, as the mavics and inspires have different aerials. The smaller drones have not had full tets with the parabolics yet, but next week we will be doing this for sure. I have ordered parayagi's, and will see if this duel signal extenders make a bigger difference. Anyway, i have explained how and why i have flown to these ranges, and am totally convinced that the signal extenders work in my situation and location

My pal and i tried antenna attachments last week, both yagi style and parabolic style. We were both super sceptical, and expected no difference, but the costs were low and it was a laugh. To set the scene, we fly over a private highland estate, the owner knows, my holiday home is 100 meters from his house and there is no one on the estate. One way in, one way out, and no aircraft (other than jets at 30k feet) over it in a decade to my knowledge. The surrounding estates are super quiet, so longer ranges are not an issue. This sets the background of why and how we fly like we do at this location. Its in the spirit of the rules, altitude is legal, LOS is direct line, but we cannot see the mini or air for sure, though, risk assessed its safe - enough said, i am simply setting the scene.

We have a pond high on the hill, and this is kind of our target, a location we see wildlife and like to get to there. Its 1800 meters from my place, and 220 meters above the take off point. My mm has never made it before, the air has never made it. The pro makes it no bother and the inspire makes it, but loses signal and can be very shakey, its only a matter of time before an issue.

Conditions were fine, calm, slight mist, no midges and basically dry at the base of the hill, some mist above the hill.
We re-set all the drones to 2.4 gh where possible. Struggled to decide which yagi was correct for this and after some you tube videos decided on the correct one and spent the morning doing tests. To our amazement, all the drones managed to get to the pond. Indeed all were able to go further, 2200 meters each, easily and the batterys became the limiting factor and not the signal. It always was in the past. The Yagi ariels worked best on the MM and air, the difference was superb, and they went from fun toys to incredibly useful, particularly the quiet small mini, as in light wind conditions it would be so small and quiet the wildlife / deer would not notice it. The air, with the quiet props would be fine in slightly stronger winds.

The inspires control now has super large parabolic reflectors on them. Both flew to the pond in minutes, with no shakey video, no loss of signal, indeed all was well for the first time. The pond is actually 197 meters above us and we fly at 220 meters when there, so not far above the ground. The smaller drones are effected by wind there, as its a hill top, and take off point is already at considerable height, the inspires were sent to higher altitude, 100 meters above the hill top, and were steady and stable, I expect on a windier day the wind will be an issue, but the inspire and pro's will be able to buck this to an extent, and hopefully they will be able to see the animals without spooking them, so we see natural behaviour.

Anyway, from a a total sceptic i am sold on them, I have ordered yagi's for each drone, as the mavics and inspires have different aerials. The smaller drones have not had full tets with the parabolics yet, but next week we will be doing this for sure. I have ordered parayagi's, and will see if this duel signal extenders make a bigger difference. Anyway, i have explained how and why i have flown to these ranges, and am totally convinced that the signal extenders work in my situation and location

Great write up!!

Do you have a link for the parabolic style by any chance?

I can look, but they were all cheap eBay ones, nothing special, the mavic ones are plastic with a gold reflector and the inspire ones are big alloy jobs. I will look tomorrow.

Update:

So I got my booster a few days ago, and my conclusion, yes it does work. However, as I expected, about 10-20% boost. Nothing night and day but it's not completely useless. My frone does fly further on top of the trees of the golf course I live in front of, it is noticeable. There is hospital a bit away from me, usually that's where my signal goes to crap, and I had full bars when I flew near it. I have to test it more but imo it's not a waste of money, you can actually see results. Again, nothing night and day, but it does work. For 9$ USD, it is worth it, but only if you are trying to push your drone just a bit more.

The one thing I noticed is when flying back, the signal is weaker. I can't fully prove this because it does not make any sense, but when the drone rotation is facing me, my signal bars went down 2-3 bars, even worse than without the antenna. I've only taken the drone on two full flights using the antenna, and a couple of times i without just to compare and my conclusion is that it does make a difference.

Nothing to lose if you order this, my advice is get it from the US. You are going to wait over 2 weeks, with expedited shipping from China

Let me know if you have any question about the antenna!
My booster arrived this last week, too, without paying $16 for expedited shipping! No chance to test it yet.

Reactions: prestonrich
well i got out to just over 6km today and still had 3 bars i returned as battery was getting low ,i landed with 19% remaining,i was on a slight hill from where i flew.i am using the fcc hack from this forum .

well i got out to just over 6km today and still had 3 bars i returned as battery was getting low ,i landed with 19% remaining,i was on a slight hill from where i flew.i am using the fcc hack from this forum .

with a booster? I've reached about 6km as well as my max ever stock (near a lake I live by)

Ok, I tested the same Antenna booster over a super long distance (10km+)

My drone is on FCC mode, 5.8Ghz Auto (dual band but it loves to stay in 5.8GHz).

Without the booster, I notice that at various distances between 5 and 8km on the way out, that sometimes the signal will drop to 2 bars. At the same time if I maintain my RC at the drone (more or less), and attach the booster it will add at most 1bar of signal. Sometimes for heck of it I dismount the booster and usually I see the signal does drop by 1bar. Between 4km and 10km I may have dismounted the booster like 4 times, just to see the effect, but mostly kept it on for safety. That said, in my flight on the return at roughly 9km I could get 3 bars (Orange) without the booster. On the way out it could have dropped to 3 bars with the booster at the same distance.

This is also same for the return flight. But generally speaking I think return flight signal was stronger with or without the booster compared to the flight outwards.

For me, I consider this money well spent and it works, just don't expect a miracle. 1 bar of signal is handy when you are at long distance or poor signal strength.

I paid US$6 for it...I will keep this with me wherever / whenever I can.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11