Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Range Extender for Mavic Pro Platinum

Robslv1

Reactions
Hello,

Hope I'm posting this in the right spot . I'm still new to Mavic Pilot Forum

I've got a Mavic Pro Platinum.
I'm some what of a new drone pilot, ive got a coupe hours flying it out on the outskirts of my town . And have done pretty good over all but now I'm interested in gathering more information from you all about the Range Extenders.
I'm looking to get a little bit more stronger range out of my Mavic Pro Platinum.
Right now I'm getting about 3/4 of a mile and i start to get a blinking RF signal, so I don't push it beyond that.

I live in a large city, ( Nevada ) with lots of residential property, so I know I have alot of signal interference.
Does anyone had any suggestions that might help !!!

Once again I'm not trying to fly 3-4 miles out , I'm more looking for like 1.5 mile max. My most important thing is to get something that helps increase my signals and to extended some range with some interference near by

Last edited:
Without doing any mods to the controller, you could try cheap signal boosters, the jury is out whether they work or not

https://www.amazon.com/Anbee-Foldab...68&sr=8-6&keywords=mavic+pro+antenna+extender

If your willing to modify the controller then I'd suggest something like: (note: the Mavic operates in the 2.4ghz frequency)

1) unamplified - Titan Control antenna (circular polarised)

Titan Drones, Inc.

2) amplified - Titan Cyclone 2.4ghz antenna ( amplified circular polarised)

Titan Drones, Inc.

Blinking signal doesnt mean you are going to lose it just means there is interference around. Ive been way out with both signal indicators blinking

Hello,

Hope I'm posting this in the right spot . I'm still new to Mavic Pilot Forum

I've got a Mavic Pro Platinum.
I'm some what of a new drone pilot, ive got a coupe hours flying it out on the outskirts of my town . And have done pretty good over all but now I'm interested in gathering more information from you all about the Range Extenders.
I'm looking to get a little bit more stronger range out of my Mavic Pro Platinum.
Right now I'm getting about 3/4 of a mile and i start to get a blinking RF signal, so I don't push it beyond that.

I live in a large city, ( Nevada ) with lots of residential property, so I know I have alot of signal interference.
Does anyone had any suggestions that might help !!!

Once again I'm not trying to fly 3-4 miles out , I'm more looking for like 1.5 mile max. My most important thing is to get something that helps increase my signals and to extended some range with some interference near by
You mite want to look at this video
also this https://www.drone-world.com/dji-mavic-pro-accessoriesis good

Last edited:
Reactions: SkyNinja
Iannes,... I agree...!! The Titandrones equipment is beautifully engineered and their customer service is outstanding,...!!
(No,.... I don’t work for the company),... they’ve earned their good reputation in my opinion,....[emoji106].

Iannes,... I agree...!! The Titandrones equipment is beautifully engineered and their customer service is outstanding,...!!
(No,.... I don’t work for the company),... they’ve earned their good reputation in my opinion,....[emoji106].

Thank you everyone for all the information. I greatly appreciate it.

I use the Anbee Foldable Antenna Signal Range Extender on my MPP when flying a distance away and not around myself to capture a shot.

Do they work? I would say yes, uni-directionally I have not experienced any signal drop around power lines, etc.

When I am flying around a building or in crowded spaces with multi-floor buildings, I don't use them to allow the antennas to work as designed in an omni-directional method.

Worth the inexpensive price.

The Maxxmod range extender is too expensive at USD 299 for an un-amplified antenna.
You can get it cheaper on ebay, not sure I'd pay 250 for the controller install, when you can do it your self.

162612770519 | eBay

The Titan Cyclone amplified is much better value at USD 249, Titan Drones, Inc.

Which is better from Titan, the Cyclone or Atlas for the Mavic?

Thanks

Which is better from Titan, the Cyclone or Atlas for the Mavic?

Thanks

Firstly , the stock antennas on the Mavic controller are very good, so I'm not sure if you need to do this modification, remember flight rules are VLOS
If you like to tinker around like I do, then it is interesting to test different antennas.

The two Titan models are different amplified antennas for different purposes,

1) Cyclone is circular polarised directional antenna with a 9dbi gain - this gain concentrates the antenna signal into a smaller tighter radial pattern, as the signal is more focused and amplified it travels further. The radiation pattern is narrow so the antenna panel needs to face the AC for the best signal to it.

2) Atlas is a omni directional antenna similar to the stock whip antenna setup (3dbi gain), except the signal is amplified and the gain is 5dbi (using Titan whip antennas). The omini directional radiation pattern means that you don't need to point the antenna panel at the AC for the best signal.

So the Cyclone is best for extreme distance with a somewhat clear direction to the AC, the Atlas is design for urban environment where the signal is affected by physical objects like buildings ,forests etc., but it's range is shorter than the Cyclone.

After having used both, my preference is the Cyclone as I know I will always have the strongest signal strength for the longest distance when facing the AC, you just need to move around a bit

If I need to fly the AC in close where I don't need signal amplification e.g surburbia, I'll use the Titan whip antennas (these can be bought separately) instead of the Cyclone or Atlas that I have.

Last edited:
@lannes, thank you for that information and the links.

So I decided to go with the Atlas, due to my environment, but I received a response from James over at @TitanDronesInc that has me anticipating the work they do in Florida. I will definitely update this post on how it performs over my factory RC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hill34top
Cyclone is circular polarized directional antenna with a 9dbi gain - this gain concentrates the antenna signal into a smaller tighter radial pattern, as the signal is more focused and amplified it travels further. The radiation pattern is narrow so the antenna panel needs to face the AC for the best signal to it.

I am a brand newbie to drones and the remote control world.

I hope I can put into words what my mind is seeing. I am talking about the concept, not the specifics with this or any directional antenna.With a directional antenna I envision the pattern (at some distance) as somewhat like a teardrop upload_2018-1-26_8-6-59.png omni-directional at a closer range and a very narrow radiation pattern at greater distances.
In a perfect environment when the antenna is pointed directly at the aircraft (AC), it receives maximum signal from the remote control (RC).

As the angle from the AC to the RC moves away from the perfect relationship does the RC / display show a decreased signal strength before the dreaded lost signal? If so, will slowly rotating the RC back and forth (sweeping) keep the optimum angle between the RC & the AC.

I understand this is a LONG WAY past line of sight but those that are going to directional antenna's are wanting maximum range and not concerned about line of sight.

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-26_7-57-46.png
    upload_2018-1-26_7-57-46.png
    818 bytes · Views: 89
Difficult to say whether that will work, I normally raise the AC higher as it travels further away so that emission path between the RC and the AC is not obstructed.

The circular polarised antenna radiates a "helical" style beam, so the more direct "line" to the AC the better the reception.

antena-4hawks-perf.png

The modded rc arrives today, so hopefully I will be able to test it out, alongside my factory remote. To me it was worth the investment, I need to understand the capabilities of the standard rc and amplified, in the environment that I fly in.

I will be doing commercial work in urban and rural environments for certain operations, I need to know personally. I appreciate the knowledge that is passed around in this forum, but I believe you always need to test the AC outside of the norm.

The specs on paper we see from DJI are in a controlled environment, optimized for the nest possibility numbers.

I also don’t plan to just fly over water to show anyone how far I can go, there are enough operators who take that step. I will take a risk, only if my equipment and life are involved, not others. I’m not around too many locations that allow for such testing, and I’ve seen too much reckless behavior on YouTube and read the same here on these forums.

We’re fortunate with the rules in place now, but the more these less efficient drones (ones with WiFi signals) are introduced, these Mavericks will pushing the limits without knowledge, may be our downfall in certain locations.

Just my own opinion.

Last edited:
Just received the modded RC today, going to try and test the mod and factory sometime next week. A bit too windy this weekend for me to be around 200’.

Including a photo for size comparison.

Atlas from @TitanDronesInc

7ac96dc0308bd84aebc153ed9f8f2bf3.jpg

@arloogoo, sorry about that.

Yes, DJI CrystalSky 5.5 and DJI CS Mount

Titan Drones, Inc.

Titan Drones, Inc. is the model shown for the MPP for $229

Titan Drones, Inc. is the RC mod cost $99

Good to see you went for the 2.4ghz Atlas, some people owning the Mavic have mistakenly gone for the 5.8ghz as it's better at signal penetration, without realising the Mavic occusync only supports 2.4ghz.

You can save a bit by modifying the controllers yourself, I've done 4 of my controllers so far, you just need to get the right splugging tools, the instruction video makes it easy to follow.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000