DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Range extenders

1bad

Reactions
So I bought, installed and tested these new range extenders on my Mavic Air today and have to say was not overly impressed.

As found: range test 3200ft @400 before return home activated.
Test was performed in evening

With extenders: range test 2250 ft @ 400 before return home activated.
Test was performed in morning

One thing I am going to try is back to back range tests as who knows if the conditions were exactly the same besides fornflight path.

Update: I went and tested exacr conditions just now, and no difference. Within 100 ft or so.

Last edited:
So I bought, installed and tested these new range extenders on my Mavic Air today and have to say was not overly impressed.

As found: range test 3200ft @400 before return home activated.
Test was performed in evening

With extenders: range test 2250 ft @ 400 before return home activated.
Test was performed in morning

One thing I am going to try is back to back range tests as who knows if the conditions were exactly the same besides fornflight path.

What range extenders are you using ?

If your using Yagi antennas, there are specific configurations for the different frequencies 2.4 or 5.8 ghz

What range extenders are you using ?

If your using Yagi antennas, there are specific configurations for the different frequencies 2.4 or 5.8 ghz
Sorry it didn't upload my pics.

Attachments

• 20200618_081814.jpg
    20200618_081814.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 63
  • 20200618_081719.jpg
    20200618_081719.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 60
I tried those. They remind me of those whistle like devices we used to put on car bumpers to keep the deer away (Michigan).

Some pilots think they are great. You might find it works for you. Based on my tests, they may offer some increase in distance for a flight that is purely in line of signal. But the variation in attenuation due to obstacles, especially trees in my case, overrides any advantage. Instead, I use 2.4 ghz signal amplifiers, and even then, they are no great panacea.

Just a few days ago I did some testing with my Mavic Mini, both on 2.4 and 5.8ghz.
I flew away without range extenders until the video transmission got extremely laggy and was near to loosing signal. There I yawed the Mavic several times for 360° and rated the video transmission quality. Then I added first the parabolic reflectors shown before and after that my 3D-printed YAGI antennas (Mavic Mini Yagi antenna adapters (range booster) 2.4 & 5.8Ghz by cylllka).

I can agree that the parabolic reflectors mentioned are almost useless and a waste of money. The transmission stayed almost as laggy as was without reflector.

In contrast the YAGI antennas really worked, both on 2.4 and 5.8ghz. I got an almost lag-free video stream.
Also, when I lost connection and then immediately put on the YAGIs before RTH could kick in, the connection came back immediately.

I didn't do an absolute range test as there is so much influence of enviroonemtal conditions. But I got at least so confident to the YAGIs, that I will use them every time when flying on greater distance, just because of much less lagging video.

This applies to my self-made antennas where I put great effort into for getting the reflector sticks in correct length with a tolerance of about 0.05mm. Similar antennas are offered by various Chinese sellers. Maybe they are as good as mine but there is no guarantee for that. Just order a set and if they don't work as expected, compare their dimensioning with the Thingiverse project and maybe improve them.

For USA made Yagi 5.8 MHz, check out eBay item 153961889781. I purchased these and received quickly and high quality.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada