DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Range issue

beedu12

Reactions
Hey guys,

I've had the mavic mini for about a week now. I live in a somewhat wooded area/suburb - and I'm having a real issue getting past 1,000-1250 ft max. Sometimes not even 800 ft. It is the FCC drone (im in usa). I'm using 5.8ghz and ive tried manually choosing the best channel and auto for transmission. I've also tried putting my phone in airplane mode. I always try to face the direction of the drone and move with it and hold the controller correctly so that it gets a good signal. If I had to guess it could be due to trees. For reference, I'm flying it about 130-140 ft high. I'm not sure if I should fly it higher.

There's also been a time where I flew it over a frozen pond w/ little obstruction minus, say a small non-dense tree line between me and the pond - at 150-200ft height and i think I maxed out at 1250-1450ft distance.

I know the advertised 2.5 mile distance for the drone is under ideal conditions in a flat area- but i'm barely even scraping 10-15% of that.

I'm hoping i'm either doing something wrong, or there is a defect - as I'd hate to be constrained to my neighborhood block. Kinda defeats my expectations/ purpose for getting this drone.

I've included a photo of my farthest flight, please note that those trees are barren this time of year - it was not as dense as it seems and they were rather skinny trees + half of that is on a decline. So about 1450-1500 ft and 180 ish ft high before it crapped out on me. Which is what, like 10% of the theoretical max as advertised?

Please let me know if you have any tips or suggestions as it is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• photo_2020-02-21_22-25-31.jpg
    photo_2020-02-21_22-25-31.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 24
Welcome to the forum.
Sounds like to me you need to try in another area.
You are dealing with a WiFi done and any interference
is going to degrade your range.

Unobstructed line of sight is crucial ... more with the drones with Enhanced WiFi & not Occusync & even more using 5,8 GHz which have less penetration than 2,4 GHz.
A tree line in between your RC & the AC are more degrading for the signal then you might think.

In below videos it might become clear for you ...

And this with the MP with Occysync ...

Last edited:
Reactions: benny01
Thanks for the input guys! I purchased the 4hawks XR so i'm hoping that helps - theoretically I could get some boosters as well but i'm waiting to see how the XR does compared to stock controller.

Find you some country. Was on a log landing overlooking this bottom. No wifi or anything between me and the MM. Was 25 degrees this morning and was using a brand new battery so really didn't push it but do not let it fool you it will go. Was sitting in truck with heat going with controller resting steady on the steering wheel Have to fly here in the mornings when it's no wind though. Just stopped here and came back.
IMG_3855.jpeg

That's insane. I live in the country too so not too much wifi - i guess I just need to get some elevation to avoid trees blocking the signal

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS