DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Range??

Bracco

Reactions
Hey fellow pilots!! So I was just wondering what kind of range people are getting in an area with a good amount of trees. I live in northern NJ and I haven't flown my drone further than about 3/4 mi. I got a warning once that there was a low RC strength at this range and to move out of the way of obstacles. I'm dealing with trees that are probably 20m tall at best and I'm not like "in the woods", but there are a lot of trees around. I would like to know that I can fly my Mavic atleast 1.5 - 2 miles away from me. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Trees are good at attenuating signal even if you still have line of sight.
If trees are actually between you and the Mavic you aren't going to get far.
The solution is to stand in a somewhat elevated spot or at least a clear area.
Also flying higher will help.

Flying 'a long way' is something we all like to try but Mavic is primarily for creative video and photo recording - mainly quite close at hand.

Reactions: avanti1963
Anything that is approaching the line of site between you and the drone will will reduce the signal. Anyway, if the direct line of sight to the drone is not blocked completely, I would expect at least 2 miles of range. The warnings will come up sometimes, but the Mavic and controller frequency adjusts on the fly to improve the connection. Often the signal messages are temporary. Make sure you use the radar view on the dji app if the tablet/phone compass is accurate to properly line yourself up with the drone and orient the antenna so that the flat part is perpendicular to the direction of the craft.

Range extender is what I did. I just flew 1.5 miles in southern Ohio surrounded by dense trees and hills. In open areas I can get as far as my battery allows me to return.

I'm also in Northern NJ and I really haven't found an issue with the trees but they are just now leafing out and I expect my range will drop. I do know that I ran out just under a mile in line of sight and it never dropped off 5 bars.

I got like 900 meters distance on 50 meters height, here it is full of trees
88dc783d4aae378f111a2463a85053d7.jpg

if I go way up higher I can get to 1.3 kilometers and the live feeds started to lag
im from Malaysia by the way

I can run mine out 5km and only drop 1 bar on the rc consistently. It should run further than your battery could take you. This is remote areas of coarse. No WiFi interference.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan