DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

rapidly MP rc battery depletion

John Gowland

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I just copied and pasted mostly from the main MP channel with this issue.
Please help, anyone.

Has any one found a portable charger that charges the MP rc battery in use. I mean tried one and it charges it up on the go. Oh and btw the Epson glasses rc battery lasts for between 4 and 5 hours! Why the **** can DJI not put that kind of battery in the MP rc battery? Which is, frankly, Lā shǐ. I need to sort this out very soon I go to Thailand in 3 weeks. I plan to do a lot of footage often from difficult to get to mountains. So If I hike up a mile high mountain to find my MP rc battery lasts an hour with my 8 MP aircraft batteries I will be really p...ed.
So please any one actually found a portable charger that gets a MP rc battery up to 100% and keeps it there.
I am beginning to think the battery in my MP rc is damaged.
So
1 Do any of you suffer from a rapidly MP rc battery depletion?
2 Do the glasses batter drain power from the MP rc battery?
3 I have lots of MP batteries and I want to keep flying with all of them from a remote places.
Yes I know I can take a break, turn off the MP rc battery and let it charge up to 100% with a portable charger and then start flying again. But what if I have limited time, say to get off a mountain before dark or something like that.

Using the glasses has been a very very steep learning curve for me, but I will never go back to a phone again.
While I am still a newbie at flying and a newbie with the glasses I am going to get down how hard it is to get to nirvana while I still remember the pain in climbing there.

I have to say that I'm almost inseparable from my "Anker PowerCore+ 26800 Premium Portable Charger High Capacity External Battery with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0"
Yes - it charges the RC.
I don't charge whilst RC is in use since I use the side port to my phone.
When I was on vacation, and hiking, tended to recharge whilst walking once RC got to about 50%. Easily kept my MP active for the duration of its 4 batteries ... and, having an Android phone, the RC is charging that when I'm flying, which hits it harder.
Oodles of power to keep phones and other things running for some time ... and it has Quick Charge.
It also recharges quickly with the twin USB input, a definite plus for such a large capacity.
My RC currently needs charging ... I'll take it down to 10% and give you a recharge time, and an estimate of the % of the Anker used.
(Difficult to be precise since only 4 LEDs for indication.)

Ok OzoneVibe sounds like that is the solution. So you have never connected your phone via the standard larger usb port under the MP rc, and then powered the rc battery via the side mini usb whilst in flight? That is what I would like. But it sounds like your Anka would reduce, at least, the rate of depletion to allow continues fight. I will look at getting the model you use.
Thanks

So you have never connected your phone via the standard larger usb port under the MP rc, and then powered the rc battery via the side mini usb whilst in flight?
Yes - I have - to check that it works, but ...
a) my method above has sufficed, and
b) it's another cable dangling about and losable ...
... so I decided to continue using the side port for compactness and convenience.
I had a dedicated phone whilst on vacation that LIVED in the RC, too.

You can power the RC in use with a USB power supply if your phone/tablet is using the USB connector on the RC. I forgot to charge the RC once and had it die mid-flight. I was able to use a spent (1 LED) MP battery and the battery/USB connector (came in the fly more bundle) to bring the RC back to life and continue flying.

I forgot to charge the RC once and had it die mid-flight.
Really? The RC makes a beeping that, AFAIK, cannot be switched off, once it's down tom14%. Shouldn't "die" for well over another 5 minutes.

Really? The RC makes a beeping that, AFAIK, cannot be switched off, once it's down tom14%. Shouldn't "die" for well over another 5 minutes.
You are right. I should have said "my RC was in the process of dying".

Reactions: OzoneVibe
You can power the RC in use with a USB power supply if your phone/tablet is using the USB connector on the RC. I forgot to charge the RC once and had it die mid-flight. I was able to use a spent (1 LED) MP battery and the battery/USB connector (came in the fly more bundle) to bring the RC back to life and continue flying.
Yes tried that many times. But beause i have so many batteries the rare of depletion is far too much for the MP rc battery. I thoght i found a charger that could charge faster than depletion rate.
Any way given up on all that.
I am going to take 2 MPs with 2 of every thing. So I can fly continuously while charging the other. Solved with overkill.

Reactions: Qoncussion
Yes tried that many times. But beause i have so many batteries the rare of depletion is far too much for the MP rc battery. I thoght i found a charger that could charge faster than depletion rate.
Any way given up on all that.
I am going to take 2 MPs with 2 of every thing. So I can fly continuously while charging the other. Solved with overkill.
Checked recharging the RC from my Anker battery ...

a) Took almost the identical time as mains ... not surprising since it's a common USB voltage.

b) It actually never used 25% of the Anker ... can't tell how much less because LEDs only indicate at 25% intervals.
So it give a definite 3 recharges, possibly 4.

c) A useful fact ... since a full recharge of the RC takes a good 1hr 40mins from 10% (from any source), recharging the Anker after charging the RC from 10% only took 1hr 10min ... because of the double USB charging.

P1000402.gif

That is good and well worth considering. That's option 1.
Option 2 could be a RavPower 14000mAh Portable Car Starting Power Bank Rick did on Drone Valley did at
Option 3 for me is to get one more of the cheap rapid charger I recently bought. So with 2 cheap rapid charges and 2 MP combos I will be fine.
I am sure there are so many options out there. There is always a solution.
Great help, thanks.

That is good and well worth considering. That's option 1.
Option 2 could be a RavPower 14000mAh Portable Car Starting Power Bank Rick did on Drone Valley did at
Option 3 for me is to get one more of the cheap rapid charger I recently bought. So with 2 cheap rapid charges and 2 MP combos I will be fine.
I am sure there are so many options out there. There is always a solution.
Great help, thanks.
You could just buy a second RC?
That and a good external battery would easily see you good for your 8 MP batteries.

Had an issue with pixilation with the Epson gasses this morning and had to download some updates on the run. The depletion rate on the r/c shot up. So I am on the edge of following OzoneVibe and get the Anker PowerCore+ 26800 Premium Portable Charger High Capacity External Battery with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0.
Did some final checking and it seems there is a Qualcomm Quick Charge 4.0. out so trying to find out if this is true or not. Any ideas?

Solved the android vampire issue.
Thats what I am calling it. Every time you connect an android device to any form of power it sucks it dry. So you need a good charger like OzoneVibe's Anker or even my cheap, but fast, $30 one. But you need the right cable! I tried loads of them and got such huge differences in power transmission. You would have thought the Samsung rapid charge (Q3) cable would help but it lets the MP r/c and the Epson glasses r/c drain rapidly. Then by chance I used a spare Epson glasses cable that connects its android device to the MP r/c. No depletion no stabilisation but actually charges the MP r/c and it does it as fast as it does from the mains output.
Months of agony.
The right charger and the right cable and it stops the vampire android.

Reactions: EpsonMoverio
I have a similar issue , altho I bought pre owned , it has only been powered up by the previous owner .
so with a fully charged controller , mavic battery , iPhone 5s(app ) installed and firmware updated , I went for my first flight, all was going well until about 10 mins into the flight ,when I get a low power warning up on the display 35% battery left , so being my first flight I hit the home button , and land it , the battery on the mavic is still showing 3 lights ,so when I returned home , I plugged in the controller to charge and on the display its showing 97% charged ?, im baffled !!! anyone care to shed any light on this ? from what ive been reading you should be able to get the use of 3 mavic batteries to 1 controller charge ?

... I get a low power warning up on the display 35% battery left ...I plugged in the controller to charge and on the display its showing 97% charged ?...
I am guessing that the 35% battery notice was for the Mavic battery and not the RC battery. You can easily fly three Mavic batteries with one fully charged RC.

I am guessing that the 35% battery notice was for the Mavic battery and not the RC battery. You can easily fly three Mavic batteries with one fully charged RC.
mossiback your absolutely right , I was out this morning and I had been looking at the battery % rather than the rc battery % , my mistake completely

Reactions: Mossiback
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S