DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RAW photo files

DionLambers

Reactions
Hello,
i'm searching for RAW photo files, I want to buy an M2P myself but I am curious about the RAW photos :)
Can anyone help me?
Regards Dion

RAW is basically a minimally processed image. You use this as a template to make adjustments in post processing. There are a million videos on YouTube that will help you. It’s very good form to learn the basics of RAW and how to process. I’ve shot some images in pretty dire lighting situations. RAW enables me to manipulate them hard and end up with an image that people pay good money for.

Hello,
i'm searching for RAW photo files, I want to buy an M2P myself but I am curious about the RAW photos :)
Can anyone help me?
Regards Dion

A RAW photo file is a lot like the “negative” for the film of an analog camera. It is the digital information about the light hitting the sensor in the camera as the photo is taken.

Just like a negative a raw file is useless in and of itself. It must be “developed” to turn it into a viewable image. Most digital cameras will “develop” the raw file for you but this means the camera is making the decisions on how the image should look.

I don’t know about you but I don’t want a camera to make these decisions. I want to be the one who decides what my images are going to look like. So with a raw file I can import the file to my computer and make those decisions.

This requires an editing program like photoshop or Lightroom among others

I mean if someone can send me a RAW photo file so that I can edit it myself and view the quality.

That does not make sense sorry. Just take a RAW image and do it yourself. Also what program are you using to edit? Can it handle raw files?

ok I have uploaded a folder of all DNG(RAW files) to google drive and anyone can access them here. You can download play with them and use them however you'd like but please don't take credit for them. If you post them please give me, Brett Burkhart, the credit for being the photographer
DNG folder Google drive

ok I have uploaded a folder of all DNG(RAW files) to google drive and anyone can access them here. You can download play with them and use them however you'd like but please don't take credit for them. If you post them please give me, Brett Burkhart, the credit for being the photographer
DNG folder Google drive
Thank you very much! I use the photos only for myself, no worries :)

DNG folder Google drive

if we look at exhibit A DJI_0919.jpg
This is the original JPEG image take by the camera with the camera's decisions on how it should look.

Exhibit B we have the processed raw image where I made the decisions on how the photo should look.
DJI_0919-Enhanced.jpg
Now this is the EXACT same image just processed differently. I think you'll agree the contrast detail and color on my version is far superior

Reactions: IgorD2 and antnyp85
RAW is basically a minimally processed image. You use this as a template to make adjustments in post processing. There are a million videos on YouTube that will help you. It’s very good form to learn the basics of RAW and how to process. I’ve shot some images in pretty dire lighting situations. RAW enables me to manipulate them hard and end up with an image that people pay good money for.

Much more importantly, RAW images are uncompressed and also significantly higher bit depth - they do not throw away dynamic range, which is what happens when the camera converts them to 8-bit JPEGs.

Reactions: GregD
If your eye is happy with that. Then you should just shoot in jpg and save yourself a lot of time. We all like different things.

I'm all for shooting in RAW, it's all I use.
It's just that in this particular example the adjustments made have introduced a lot of noise and artefacts that are just unnecessary.
RAW gives the user full power to edit the image with ALL the available information in the captured image.
It's just that I'm seeing the wrong type of editing on this example.
Take a look at the side by side comparison and how much noise has been introduced for the sake of adding a little contrast.
There are better ways of handling RAW files.

:)

side-by-side.jpg

If your eye is happy with that. Then you should just shoot in jpg and save yourself a lot of time. We all like different things.

Ok
It's just that in this particular example the adjustments made have introduced a lot of noise and artefacts that are just unnecessary.
RAW gives the user full power to edit the image with ALL the available information in the captured image.
Take a look at the side by side comparison and how much noise has been introduced for the sake of adding a little contrast.
There are better ways of handling RAW files.

:)

View attachment 64704

Ok I find this really interesting. I kinda just quickly developed this image so I could show a before and after I didn't do my full workflow. Let me redo it how I would actually do a real image and let me know if you still like the JPEG better.

I understand that but I took it for what it was. A quick demo for newbie with no knowledge of handling RAW images.

There are better ways of handling RAW

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom