DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RAW vs JPEG photos: Understanding the benefits and differences

PAW

Premium Pilot
Reactions
For you fellow amateurs (pros can disregard) here is an excellent article released by Topaz Studios today discussing the RAW vs JPEG formats. There is an embedded video which doe a great job of demonstrating the different outcomes in post-processing.

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing. I did not know there were different types of DNG files and while I don't think it means much to me, it is good to know.

There are a few basic concepts that the article doesn't fully explain. When your camera is set to generate a jpg image, after capture the cameras itself is engaged as a microcomputer processing the raw data into a compressed jpg image which is universally recognized. When the camera is set to RAW only, the camera captures and records only the raw data and a RAW image processor is required to covert the raw data to jpg, PSD, TIFF, etc.

Read on if you dare... (long. sorry.)

There is some history to the use of the RAW image file that isn't necessarily relevant today but worth mentioning. Back in the day when the very first affordable ($5000 per body) DSLR (Nikon D1) came onto the market RAW images files were available, but you had to buy the proprietary and expensive NIKON RAW PROCESSING program. It was lame and few photographers that I know purchased it. But about the time Nikon came out with its 2nd generation DLSR, the D1x a program, Capture One Pro became available. It was expensive ($500? at the time). But it was worth it.

Until Capture 1 Pro was available images had to be opened one by one, color corrected and saved individually- a very time consuming process especially considering the processing speed of computers at that time (2001?). Capture One Pro offered something called "proxy images" which meant you could adjust the parameters of the image in real time via the proxy image. The adjustment data was saved automatically for later processing. The beauty of it was that you could adjust all the elements, exposure, brightness, highlight, shadow etc, even saving and pasting similar corrections on multiple images which was a huge time saver. With large volumes of images, it wasn't prudent to process the images immediately. So what many of us would do is do all the corrections as convenient, but then hit the "process button" before we left the studio for the images to be processed overnight, unattended. We couldn't do that with jpgs, so RAW images became the defacto capture format, not so much because the images were superior, but as a convenience for rapid processing. The average number of images I could correct with the early Capture One Pro was about 1000 images per hour, exponentially greater than correcting jpg images. I found latter versions of C1Pro (V4 and later) not as fast as their V3x. Many more features in latter versions but a departure from the earlier routine which I preferred. Capture One Pro has a much better processing engine than Lightroom (no matter how popular Adobe is because it's a household name).

With today's high speed computers, and updated imaging programs, much of what was exclusive to RAW images is now available to jpgs as well and most batches can be processed while we wait, sometimes in the background.

The article glances by stating the cost of data cards is less expensive than ever before. What an understatement. Back in the early days I remember paying in excess of $300 for a 340MB microdrive (a micro floppy). Today, depending on the camera's read/write speed, a 128GB card can be had for around $20. Also, those of us who would shoot on location would often bring equipment to back up the microdrives and subsequent solid state drives on location as we continued to shoot to make sure that any digital failures could be re-shot before leaving the location.

It is also worth mentioning that Lightroom is not the only game in town. There are many programs that meet or exceed Lightroom's capabilities for processing RAW images. While I still have a latter day edition of Capture One Pro I do many of the processing jobs through On 1 Camera RAW, a direct competitor to Lightroom (and better for many things IMO) with an initial purchase off $99 (and inexpensive upgrades), often with 20% discount coupons available. Just sayin'.

Last edited:
lol - my fist DSLR had a spinning HDD in Compact Flash format. I think I still have that drive somewhere. And I had the offline 2 inch HDD to offload files in the field. All hobbyist stuff for me - but I was early adopter all the way - but I didn't buy one of the Kodak-Canon DSLR's - those were spendium. But I did own one of Kodak's first affordable digitals, a DC25.

Kodak DC25.PNG

ps: to see how far we've come -- this was about as good as it could do.
dc0049h.jpg

Last edited:
lol - my fist DSLR had a spinning HDD in Compact Flash format. I think I still have that drive somewhere. And I had the offline 2 inch HDD to offload files in the field. All hobbyist stuff for me - but I was early adopter all the way - but I didn't buy one of the Kodak-Canon DSLR's - those were spendium. But I did own one of Kodak's first affordable digitals, a DC25.

View attachment 136504

ps: to see how far we've come -- this was about as good as it could do.
Here's close to $1000 worth of drives. Roughly 3GB all combined! Compare the cost vs today's 128GB micro SD at $20. You can imagine when shooting raw (required for any kind of volume) these drives got filled up. But hey... We were used to changing film backs ever 24 frames (220).
Top two are spinning micro floppies!

1634150069177.png

My first real digital was a Canon D60. People argued with me film was still better, but at 6MP, I was convinced film was dead. IMO, past 3MP, dynamic range was all film had going for it at that point. And I had a soft spot for K25 color. I tossed a couple of grocery store bags full of culled slides. Nothing compared to pro consumption, but it felt odd when I did it. After culling, when I was scanning slides to keep, I had a couple of 1500 slide metal cases set precariously on a chair, full, when the cat jumped up and they flipped through the air only to land upside down and empty. All of my indexing was lost. Not funny.

I almost have you beat on CF cards - I just tossed an 8MB CF card. It was in that last batch I took to the local electronic recycler. My two 'saved for posterity' microdrives are Hitachi 2GB and 4GB, the largest the D60 would handle (D60, not the 60D). I paid about $2000 for the D60 a long time ago in the Virgin Islands. A painful purchase, I had to start buying EF lenses. My last major SLR purchase was when the EOS 1Ds mkIII was released, and a few more L lenses to go with it. I used to travel a bit more than I do now.

Since all that fun, sold my 8MP 1D mkII and most my lenses (I miss my 85f1.4 and 100f2.8IS macro) and I've started buying point and shoots instead. A 25 pound bag of camera and lenses in a few ounces. And, not to mention a whole lot less expensive. I still have the 1Ds with my 24-105 and 100-400 ... hard to part with DSLR's, but they languish mostly unused except for an occasional battery recharge. Even my point and shoots sit around a lot, the dang phone is just too handy for snapshots.

Sigh --- and now a drone, lol.

Reactions: JDerrick
@eEridani Intersting. We seem to have taken similar paths. My first digital camera was a 1.75mp olympus camera. No chance of it competing with film. But subsequently, already owning Nikon lenses I owned two Nikon D1's and subsequently two D1x's (about $20,000 for all 4 bodies). Nikon had major issues with banding and noise. RAW processing required their proprietary program which was worthless. When the Canon 10D came out with 6mp I ditched my Nikon gear and bought two 10D's until the 1Ds came out in 2004 and I sold off one of the 10D's I added a 5D some time after and stuck with those until a couple years ago when I added a 5D mk III.

The truth is that the 6mp 10D did a spectacular job. I've got 30x40" images hanging that I took with that camera with no sign of pixelization. CR2 files with Capture One Pro software produced amazing images for the time and the lab I used and still use has amazing interpolation. The limiting factor was usable ISO. ISO 320 was about all I could count on without introducing too much noise. My 1DS did a little better and was my workhorse for a long time. The main advantage of my 5D mk III is the extended useable ISO. But honestly under ideal conditions it doesn't produce much better images than my old 10D. At some point I'll upgrade again, but it will probably be the video portion of the camera, wanting continuous AF and 4k-6k video that will make me upgrade.

I've owned a variety of digitals, an Epson PC600, even a Viewsonic 1MP that took quite acceptable stills, a few Canon's like the an original G1. I also had a 5D (12MP) - that was a fair camera - the first improvement over the D60 that I then gave to my brother. The 5D was light and very useful, but I enjoyed the weight the 1 series provided once I got over the sticker shock (the 5D wasn't cheap, either). I was a bit disappointed when I realized the L lenses I was paying a premium for weren't up to the bodies I owned, and that Canon was replacing each and every lens I owned with a type II version. No trade-ins allowed. So about the time Canon introduced their 50MP studio camera, I was tempted, but decided to get off that merry-go-round, and I haven't looked back. I've looked at Nikon - because of their fantastic ISO range and low light image quality compare to Canon products... but whenever I think that way, I remind myself the body is just the tip of that iceberg.

I still have my 3800 for printing. 17x being the largest I print. And yeah, even 3MP looks okay that size, 6MP is perfect, and 20MP is overkill.

And in the video world I've never been much good; too much forethought needed to plan a good composition. A drone makes video a bit easier, a new perspective for me. And for this aspect, the Air 2 4k quality is about perfect. And, I keep telling myself "THIS IS A HOBBY!" So I don't have any real need to buy better.

LOL
My very first disk drive camera. Thought it was just great at the time 🙃

Sony Mavica MVC-FD7 Floppy Disk Camera
s-l1600.jpg

Here's close to $1000 worth of drives. Roughly 3GB all combined! Compare the cost vs today's 128GB micro SD at $20. You can imagine when shooting raw (required for any kind of volume) these drives got filled up. But hey... We were used to changing film backs ever 24 frames (220).
Top two are spinning micro floppies!

View attachment 136508
My Nikon D300S has a CF slot and an SD slot. I typically only use the SD, but have the CF set fro overflow. Might change that to make it a back up.

And yep, I still use this 10 year old 12MP camera. I'd love to upgrade, but I just spent the money on a Mavic Air2. Lol.

For you fellow amateurs (pros can disregard) here is an excellent article released by Topaz Studios today discussing the RAW vs JPEG formats. There is an embedded video which doe a great job of demonstrating the different outcomes in post-processing.

I always love talking about G.A.S. e.g.: Gear Acquisition Syndrome. We photographer are always chasing the next best thing. I started out with the original Nikon F. Now, it is an antique. Through the years have progressed to the Nikon D750 and at that point I pulled the plug and stopped at the very expensive Nikon D500. D 800, D850, etc. Then the mirrorless cameras came along- I still refused to bite. There comes a time when either you quit, or are too old to start in the next generation of camera like the Sony A7ii ($6,ooo??). I'm happy with the material I am producing now.

My Nikon D300S has a CF slot and an SD slot. I typically only use the SD, but have the CF set fro overflow. Might change that to make it a back up.

And yep, I still use this 10 year old 12MP camera. I'd love to upgrade, but I just spent the money on a Mavic Air2. Lol.

Some of my cameras have dual slots but I don't remember which. I think my 1Ds, 5D and 5Dmk III do. When I was shooting weddings 20 years ago and just getting into digital, once 1GB cards were available it was another world not having to change film backs every 24 shots, needing to plan tactical film changes. Now with cheap128GB cards we can shoot a lot bigger images. But in the broad scheme I have to ask why?

What we discovered at the beginning of serious digital photography was that the weak link of digital with limited megapixels was detail at distance. My first serious DSLR was a Nikon D1 with 1.7mp. I shot the image below with that camera. I wish I could find the original file, but a 24x30" print of this pocket watch hangs in my living room. The detail is spectacular. There were too many issues with the D1, but when I got into the D1x which bumped the mp count to 5.3mp my studio no longer did film. Shortly thereafter I jumped ship to Canon with the 10D with *only* 6mp and did all sorts of jobs, from (my last) weddings to catalogs and all sorts of other applications. The 8mp Canon 1D MK II, even with an 20% gain in megapixels only provided a modest improvement in image detail on a practical level. It was said at the time that most lenses resolution would not provide any improvement over 15mps. Perhaps current lenses with mirrorless cameras might have changed that. I don't know as I'm not shooting any images that tax the lens or sensor that much. The newer sensors do have a much improved noise level and better interpolation of images in software, where I think increased sharpness comes from. JMO

Edit: I found some original files from one of the last events I shot in 2007. My assistant shot either Nikon D70 or FujiFinepixS2Pro, both at 6mp and my 1Dmark II at 8mp. Believe it or not I got a call last year from this client who had not yet ordered and album (yes... not in 13 years from the event). Even with cameras that has exponentially fewer megapixels, the album was gorgeous. Could I have done better with current cameras? Only in the sense that I would be less dependent on flash power indoors.

1634221568619.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jafo28
Interesting article. Thanks for sharing. I did not know there were different types of DNG files and while I don't think it means much to me, it is good to know.

There are a few basic concepts that the article doesn't fully explain. When your camera is set to generate a jpg image, after capture the cameras itself is engaged as a microcomputer processing the raw data into a compressed jpg image which is universally recognized. When the camera is set to RAW only, the camera captures and records only the raw data and a RAW image processor is required to covert the raw data to jpg, PSD, TIFF, etc.

Read on if you dare... (long. sorry.)

There is some history to the use of the RAW image file that isn't necessarily relevant today but worth mentioning. Back in the day when the very first affordable ($5000 per body) DSLR (Nikon D1) came onto the market RAW images files were available, but you had to buy the proprietary and expensive NIKON RAW PROCESSING program. It was lame and few photographers that I know purchased it. But about the time Nikon came out with its 2nd generation DLSR, the D1x a program, Capture One Pro became available. It was expensive ($500? at the time). But it was worth it.

Until Capture 1 Pro was available images had to be opened one by one, color corrected and saved individually- a very time consuming process especially considering the processing speed of computers at that time (2001?). Capture One Pro offered something called "proxy images" which meant you could adjust the parameters of the image in real time via the proxy image. The adjustment data was saved automatically for later processing. The beauty of it was that you could adjust all the elements, exposure, brightness, highlight, shadow etc, even saving and pasting similar corrections on multiple images which was a huge time saver. With large volumes of images, it wasn't prudent to process the images immediately. So what many of us would do is do all the corrections as convenient, but then hit the "process button" before we left the studio for the images to be processed overnight, unattended. We couldn't do that with jpgs, so RAW images became the defactor capture formate, not so much because the images were superior, but as a convenience for rapid processing. The average number of images I could corrected with the early Capture One Pro was about 1000 images per hour, exponentially greater than correcting jpg images.

With today's high speed computers, and updated imaging programs, much of what was exclusive to RAW images is now available to jpgs as well and most batches can be processed while we wait, sometimes in the background.

The article glances by stating the cost of data cards is less expensive than ever before. What an understatement. Back in the early days I remember paying in excess of $300 for a 340MB microdrive (a micro floppy). Today, depending on the camera's read/write speed, a 128GB card can be had for around $20. Also, those of us who would shoot on location would often bring equipment to back up the microdrives and subsequent solid state drives on location as we continued to shoot to make sure that any digital failures could be re-shot before leaving the location.

It is also worth mentioning that Lightroom is not the only game in town. There are many programs that meet or exceed Lightroom's capabilities for processing RAW images. While I still have a latter day edition of Capture One Pro I do many of the processing jobs through On 1 Camera RAW, a direct competitor to Lightroom (and better for many things IMO) with an initial purchase off $99 (and inexpensive upgrades), often with 20% discount coupons available. Just sayin'.
Nice backgrounder. Last paragraph begs the question... what things do you like with On 1 Camera RAW vs. LR?

I always love talking about G.A.S. e.g.: Gear Acquisition Syndrome. We photographer are always chasing the next best thing. I started out with the original Nikon F. Now, it is an antique. Through the years have progressed to the Nikon D750 and at that point I pulled the plug and stopped at the very expensive Nikon D500. D 800, D850, etc. Then the mirrorless cameras came along- I still refused to bite. There comes a time when either you quit, or are too old to start in the next generation of camera like the Sony A7ii ($6,ooo??). I'm happy with the material I am producing now.
I was too poor for a Nikon F, so "settled" for a Nikkormat FTN. I still have it as well as the F3 High Eyepoint which saw very little action as I went to medium format almost as soon as I started doing pro work (first Bronica 645, then Hasselblad). I also have an extremely low mileage 4x5 system.

My studio strobe equipment was purchased between 1984 and 1987 which I have not "upgraded" and occasionally gets hauled out of the closet for the now rare shoots. I am proud to own a Minolta Flashmeter IV which IMO is still the finest light meter ever made, but discontinued when Sony purchased Minolta. FWIW, the sharpness and contrast of the original Minolta Rokkor lenses of the 70's were head and shoulders better than Nikon and Canon rivaling Leica and Zeiss though Minolta, for some reason, was never considered on the same level as Nikon and Canon (?).

I think if there is anything missing in my arsenal it is a good video camera. My current still cameras and lenses can produce wonderful prints up to 40x60" or larger. With limited need it's hard to justify the expense. Perhaps an iPhone 13?

I was too poor for a Nikon F, so "settled" for a Nikkormat FTN. I still have it as well as the F3 High Eyepoint which saw very little action as I went to medium format almost as soon as I started doing pro work (first Bronica 645, then Hasselblad). I also have an extremely low mileage 4x5 system.

My studio strobe equipment was purchased between 1984 and 1987 which I have not "upgraded" and occasionally gets hauled out of the closet for the now rare shoots. I am proud to own a Minolta Flashmeter IV which IMO is still the finest light meter ever made, but discontinued when Sony purchased Minolta. FWIW, the sharpness and contrast of the original Minolta Rokkor lenses of the 70's were head and shoulders better than Nikon and Canon rivaling Leica and Zeiss though Minolta, for some reason, was never considered on the same level as Nikon and Canon (?).

I think if there is anything missing in my arsenal it is a good video camera. My current still cameras and lenses can produce wonderful prints up to 40x60" or larger. With limited need it's hard to justify the expense. Perhaps an iPhone 13?
Dale, for professional video I started with the 5DmkII ages ago, migrated to the Sony a7rII, but currently use the BMD URSA mini 4.6k and BMPCC 6k professionally. I also have a handful of Sony ZV-1 cameras I send out in a kit for remote interviews. It's quite handy as a vlogger-style camera. However, I REALLY like the new(ish) DJI Pocket 2. I've been using the heck out of that thing. So much more convenient than what I've been doing, mounting my mirrorless or BMPCC on a gimbal. It's just great for travel. I can carry it along with 2 drones, batteries, accessories in a single backpack.
Sure, video on smartphones is really good and you're already carrying it, but they still require a gimbal and pro mode configuration. They all talk a big game about stabilization, but in post, you'll see the processing can be really messy. Look for a great promo on trade-in before you get a new iPhone. Verizon had a $800 trade in value recently which I saw offered as recently as Tuesday.

Smaller sensors allow for much better glass. And why phones can have such great image quality. But, there comes some tradeoffs: larger sensors catch more photons and can yield better low light and images with less noise. But a gimbal for stabilization is a game changer for video, regardless of camera.

My film days started in the early 70's with an AE1, then a T90, which I kept until I went digital with the D60 and started replacing my lenses. I still miss my FD200f2.8, one of the sharpest lenses I've owned, the EF100f2.8ISL-Macro was the sharpest. Friends & family has an assortment of Minolta, Pentax, and Nikon gear. Nikkor lenses of the day usually won sharpness tests we did amongst ourselves. Canon came in second. But Pentax and Minolta lenses were also pretty good. Usually came down to the person holding the camera or tripod build, in daily use they were all indistinguishable, the most steady hand won, every time. Like surgeons... lol.

Thanks for sharing

I too am a invetarate, unintentional collector, of which one is photo and video gear.

Photowise, 2 Canon digital point and shoots, 3 Canon DSLRs, 2 DJI AC, GoPro knockoff, GoPro Hero 10....aw jeez, how did I get down this rabbit joke?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998